Net comes off in final minute of Chicago/Toronto game.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
penalties get called all the time when there is no intent - tripping is a great example

Except when a player trips another player he directly took an action that violated the rules (intentionally or not). A goalie knocking the net off the moors from a standard post move is not a direct action that violates the rules.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
I'd be saying it is just as stupid if the roles were reversed. This type of play is toxic and destructive to the health of the game of hockey, and it ruined an otherwise exciting game.

Oh boo hoo, playing the hyperbolic drama queen isn't going to get you any sympathy.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Yeah, making a standard/rational post move in an attempt to cheat. Makes a lot a sense. Jokers of the hockey world...
Hate to break it to you but many players cheat here and there all the time. This was no different but good on him for doing it. Got the Hawks a win....

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Sure. Another example in the same game. Your starting to understand now

Except going to the post where the puck is is a standard/non-controversial play. Falling on the goalie (unless pushed by, say, a defenseman) is against the rules.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Toronto Mayor Declares March 15th 'Net Mooring Day'
- Toronto, ON, Canada - City of Toronto Mayor John Tory has declared March 15th 'Scotiabank Arena Net Mooring Day'. "I invite the citizens of Toronto and Leafs fans everywhere to rally in support of the Net Mooring," Tory explained, "We need to let them know that Leafs Nation does not hold them responsible for the loss and that the league and the Blackhawks need to be held accountable for the travesty." The Net Mooring's agent denied comment on the situation at this time, but says his client will be available for interview after the first round of the NHL Playoffs, sponsored by Discover©.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It loosened up a few mins before, when the net almost came off. I forget who it was, but a Leafs player fell in to the post, and you could visibly see the left side (right from camera view) of the net move a couple of inches. The next time the Hawks goaltender pushed off (which is a normal move), the net came off entirely.

IDK how you can claim he did it on purpose, given the evidence.

Crow

May 19, 2014
It loosened up a few mins before, when the net almost came off. I forget who it was, but a Leafs player fell in to the post, and you could visibly see the left side (right from camera view) of the net move a couple of inches. The next time the Hawks goaltender pushed off (which is a normal move), the net came off entirely.

IDK how you can claim he did it on purpose, given the evidence.
No. Delia casually kicked it off with all his might to save the game and the league rejoiced.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
You snooze you loose. Move on to the next one.

Tough way to lose but you can always break down little plays and play the what if game and say well if this was a little different or that play wasn't offside this could have happened etc..

As for the net coming off you cant blame the goalie, if you needed a fall guy should be the ref. There was a collision with 3 players near the post, should definitely have checked if everything was fine there.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I remember this pissed me off to no end. Panarin, nor any other Hawk, was at fault for the net moving, yet got a goal taken away because the net happened to move when Andersen pushed out using the post.

Game continued with a faceoff...

IMHO that should be a goal in the NHL. Nobody touched the goalie, there way almost no delay between the net coming off and a shot, and the net coming off had no effect on the play/the shooter or the shot.

In the case of Delia the puck was not anywhere near going in, it was still being passed around back to the blue line and the refs had plenty of time to blow the whistle, reset to when the net came off.

Reactions: fivesberg

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Obviously most Leafs fans in here are going to be biased and say that it should've been a penalty. Just like most Hawks fans, myself included, are probably similarly biased about it not being a penalty.

But what is truly telling are the posters in here who are not fans of either team. And from reading through the entire thread, it seems like the majority of those individuals don't believe this was intentional or worthy of a penalty.

The people have spoken, move the f*** on already.

Reactions: cowboy82nd and Crow

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Team falls down 5-0, loses as expected. Find one miss call to complain about and make a thread for it...maybe dont shit the bed for the first 50 minutes of a game and one call won’t be the deciding factor. Toronto was -200 money line. They’re a supremely talented team and got throttled for most of the game until Crawford was pulled with flu symptoms. Time to move on from a meaningless game in March.

Reactions: Crow

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I agree. Toronto got Shafted. IMO the league should step in and fine Delia. They have to deter this type of cheating. Usually a penalty is enough (like when a player tosses the puck in the stands) however in this case it's clear as day. And rarely does that type of play affect the outcome of the game directly.
Deliberately dislodging the net does and should be considered cheating and the player reprimanded.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I agree. Toronto got Shafted. IMO the league should step in and fine Delia. They have to deter this type of cheating. Usually a penalty is enough (like when a player tosses the puck in the stands) however in this case it's clear as day. And rarely does that type of play affect the outcome of the game directly.
Deliberately dislodging the net does and should be considered cheating and the player reprimanded.
If was very clearly not an intentional move by Delia. And saying he should be fined for it is one of the most ridiculous sentiments in this entire thread. Good job.

Reactions: Geoist

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
And if you haven't noticed, Chicago fans have been complaining about the Winter Classics. We're TIRED of it.

The issue with the NHL is their lack of exposure on ESPN. Have you seen what ESPN is doing with UFC. In 2 months, they have grown the sport far more than FOX could ever do. The NHL is stuck on NBC. They need ESPN. Chicago isn't going to move the needle. It did in 2010. However, that's been maximized. There are a lot of Canadians living in the US who would love to see Toronto win one since 1961. Heck, most American hockey fans would be interested too.

To say Chicago has more market appeal in hockey than Toronto is ridiculous. Toronto's fan base is HUGE in North America. There is a story line that journalists can sell with Toronto and 1961 ... just like Ovie last year.

The storylines better when Toronto keeps losing. Winning is a good seller for just that one year. See Chicago Cubs. Right now Toronto is in that position.
The Bills were relevant for many years when they lost four straight. Unless Toronto wins multiple times like the Red Sox a one and done Stanley Cup is best served in Canada.
A better international story would be Toronto being the next Bills.
Unless of course they were the next Patriots.
Right now fans are hoping to be a mini dynasty like the Hawks and Pens.
I do agree that the Leaf s winning would be huge but only a temporary fix.
They made it over the hump finally and have a huge fan base much like the Cubs.
I think Vegas winning might also be a very good story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad