Net comes off in final minute of Chicago/Toronto game.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
although that did not look to be on purpose

if determined by the ref to be deliberate, isnt that a simple delay of game penalty
Always thought so.

This is years ago but I remember Hextall noticing the net was off the moorings one night and the ref wouldn’t pay attention to him.

He bumped it so it was more noticeable and then the stripes gave him 2 minutes for a delay of game. Old Ronald was pretty happy with that call if I remember right

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Watching the replays last night it seemed pretty clear that the net was already partially dislodged. It came off way too easy for it to be otherwise. I imagine even if there was a challenge rule for dislodging the net, I don't believe the Leafs would have won that challenge.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Watching the replays last night it seemed pretty clear that the net was already partially dislodged. It came off way too easy for it to be otherwise. I imagine even if there was a challenge rule for dislodging the net, I don't believe the Leafs would have won that challenge.
Yup. Nothing intentional there, it was a standard push off the post.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
If the net becomes displaced and the officials rule that it was deliberate on the part of the defending team, the attacking team should get a penalty shot (which anyone on the ice for the attacking team can take), IMO.

Agreed. I remember Ryan Smyth intentionally knocking the net off of the moorings when he was an Islander to prevent a goal being scored. As an Islander fan I was happy he did it...but you're right it should be a penalty or a penalty shot in the rule book.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
OMG, the net coming off in a CHICAGO versus TORONTO game where TORONTO got impacted?!?!

Let's discuss it like it's not something that happens all the time in non CHICAGO vs TORONTO games.

It's held in there by a rubber hose, it's going to come off sometimes.

Mhm yeah this was obviously going to be the response from the mainboards, its the Leafs so its a punchline. But the context here is VERY important, not the teams involved but the game and time it took place, so it is worth identifying even if its the big bad large market teams. Toronto had scored 4 straight goals, there was less than a minute left, they had 29 shots in the third period, Chicago was absolutely under siege, Delia was flailing around on the ground for like 30 seconds before he got up and pushed the net off(intentionally or not he was not pushed by anyone else), its been a penalty in the past(they mentioned on the broadcast that Malkin received a penalty shot for it recently), it should have been here, it might've saved the game for Chicago. Feel free to argue the legitimacy of it being a penalty or not but why undermine having a discussion whatsoever about a pretty significant play?

So you see why that is what the discussion is about, and the thread is not "the net comes off sometimes." No need to bring these small market insecurities.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, but this is more of a discussion for when it comes off and its not deliberate. Does the team with possession really deserve to have to win a face-off to get it back in the last seconds of the game? Or do you say **** luck and call it day.

Pretty much this. Leafs benefited from a bounce off the Zomboni door when playing the Habs. Game winning goals have gone in off refs skates.

Nets can come off it's moorings and stop play. It's not like the Leafs had scored a goal anyway. They just lost possesion.

It's much ado about nothing. You get pissed for awhile then you move on.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I couldn't watch it in real time, so reading about it I thought Delia knocked it off egregiously.

Watching the highlights of it, I don't think he had any intention of doing it on purpose, and it instead was dislodged easily because it was loose. He was trying to hug tight against the post and it came off. Don't see any real intent there. He just got super lucky in my opinion at that time with the Leafs swarming.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The way this was talked about last night sounded like a puck was about the cross the line and he knocked off the net. Not that simply the leafs had possession and it was knocked out

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Everybody that was actually watching the game knows full well that he did that on purpose 100%. Chicago was being completely dominated on an extended shift, in the last minutes of a 1-goal game, with the goalie pulled, after a miraculous comeback. The goalie had been flopping like a wet fish for 30 seconds, Chicago players were exhausted, and Toronto's top goal scorer was about to get the puck in front of the net. There had been about 5 Grade A scoring chances in the last 15 seconds.

LOL @ people in this thread claiming that you need a jackhammer to get the net out of its place when they are specifically designed to come off with the force of a player sliding into it, which is exactly what the goalie did, in a very awkward and deliberate way, even though there was no reason for him to do that at the time other than to intentionally knock the net off. Anything to stick your head in the sands it seems. The net was clearly in the proper grooves before the goalie pushed it off. It's on video.

It's cheating and a disgraceful move. No place for that in hockey. By the rules, it's a penalty shot. Of course, it wasn't awarded. It honestly should be an automatic goal when a goalie does it as blatantly as this.

I'd like to see some of your reactions when this decides a playoff game. Though let's be honest, you don't care because most of your teams would probably get that call.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
OMG, the net coming off in a CHICAGO versus TORONTO game where TORONTO got impacted?!?!

Let's discuss it like it's not something that happens all the time in non CHICAGO vs TORONTO games.

It's held in there by a rubber hose, it's going to come off sometimes.
It happened recently in a Jets game and Hellebuyck got a penalty, despite it being a routine cross-crease move where the goalie always touches the post. There's no consistency in the calls.

It has to look a lot more deliberate than that to be a call, or they need to make the net harder to knock off.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Everybody that was actually watching the game knows full well that he did that on purpose 100%. Chicago was being completely dominated on an extended shift, in the last minutes of a 1-goal game, with the goalie pulled, after a miraculous comeback. The goalie had been flopping like a wet fish for 30 seconds, Chicago players were exhausted, and Toronto's top goal scorer was about to get the puck in front of the net. There had been about 5 Grade A scoring chances in the last 15 seconds.

LOL @ people in this thread claiming that you need a jackhammer to get the net out of its place when they are specifically designed to come off with the force of a player sliding into it, which is exactly what the goalie did, in a very awkward and deliberate way, even though there was no reason for him to do that at the time other than to intentionally knock the net off. Anything to stick your head in the sands it seems. The net was clearly in the proper grooves before the goalie pushed it off. It's on video.

It's cheating and a disgraceful move. No place for that in hockey. By the rules, it's a penalty shot. Of course, it wasn't awarded. It honestly should be an automatic goal when a goalie does it as blatantly as this.

I'd like to see some of your reactions when this decides a playoff game. Though let's be honest, you don't care because most of your teams would probably get that call.

I honestly don't think Dalia pushed it hard at all. Looks like a pretty standard hugging the post.

Reactions: fivesberg

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

I honestly don't think Dalia pushed it hard at all. Looks like a pretty standard hugging the post.

That is the most awkwardly done, improperly timed, forceful, and ineffective "hugging the post" for no reason I've ever seen then.

I'm glad you showed the video, because it clearly shows that the net is in place. It clearly shows a forceful push into the post and him pushing his weight down on it, when the developing play did not require it. It also shows that the refs not only put the resulting face-off on the wrong side (Toews' strong side), they failed to put back like 5 seconds of game time.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That is the most awkwardly done, improperly timed, forceful, and ineffective "hugging the post" for no reason I've ever seen then.

I'm glad you showed the video, because it clearly shows that the net is in place. It clearly shows a forceful push into the post and him pushing his weight down on it, when the developing play did not require it. It also shows that the refs not only put the resulting face-off on the wrong side (Toews' strong side), they failed to put back like 5 seconds of game time.
Are you new to hockey? Because goalies do that move all the time. Normally, the net doesn't come off the peg that easily, at least it shouldn't. There was hardly any deliberate attempt there.

Reactions: Geoist

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

The puck was in the corner/side-wall. He absolutely had reason to be hugging the post (use the goalies head to track where the puck is), and the net should not have come off that easily. I'm a Leafs fan, I would have been ecstatic if they had called a penalty on that play. However, looking at it after the fact, I don't believe it would have been the right call. The net was already dislodged somehow to come off so easy.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Are you new to hockey? Because goalies do that move all the time. Normally, the net doesn't come off the peg that easily, at least it shouldn't. There was hardly any deliberate attempt there.
Yeah goalies always forcefully go to the wrong position, put themselves off balance, put all of their weight down on the post, and then kick it away, right when the other team is about to score after one of the more dominating shifts in hockey all year in a one goal game in the last minute with the goalie pulled.

Happens all the time. Just a coincidence. :sarcasm:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah goalies always forcefully go to the wrong position, put themselves off balance, put all of their weight down on the post, and then kick it away, right when the other team is about to score after one of the more dominating shifts in hockey all year in a one goal game in the last minute.

Happens all the time. Just a coincidence. :sarcasm:
Wrong position? The puck was near the side of the net, which is why Delia went to the post. Off balance? He was hugging the post so he didn't get beat like he did on the Tavares goal (where he did the same thing he did here and the net didn't come off)He used the post to push off when the puck was passed to the front of the net.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Wrong position? The puck was near the side of the net, which is why Delia went to the post. Off balance? He was hugging the post so he didn't get beat like he did on the Tavares goal (where he did the same thing he did here and the net didn't come off)He used the post to push off when the puck was passed to the front of the net.
I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere. That's why I can't understand why people love sticking their head in it so much.

I guess we'll have to wait until the next time this happens, to a non-Leaf team, probably in the playoffs with much bigger consequences, to have an actual discussion based in reality.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere. That's why I can't understand why people love sticking their head in it so much.

I guess we'll have to wait until the next time this happens, to a non-Leaf team, probably in the playoffs with much bigger consequences, to have an actual discussion based in reality.
Right, you are literally one of a few people here (who are also probably Leaf fans) who think it was deliberate. But you keep doing you.

Reactions: fivesberg

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Right, you are literally one of a few people here (who are also probably Leaf fans) who think it was deliberate. But you keep doing you.
It happened to the Leafs. Welcome to HF.

Any Leaf or Hawk fan that watched that game knows 100% without a shadow of a doubt that it was 100% intentional. But you keep doing you.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
although that did not look to be on purpose

if determined by the ref to be deliberate, isnt that a simple delay of game penalty

If it was deliberate there's a couple situations:

- If the goalie is pulled, it's an awarded goal
- If it was during a breakaway, a penalty shot is awarded to the player on the breakaway.
- If the attacking team has shot or was in the process of shooting, and the ref determines the puck would have gone in the normal position if the net wasn't off, it's an awarded goal
- Other wise it would be a 2 minute penalty for delay of game, UNLESS the penalty couldn't be served in full in regulation then it's a penalty shot.

Delia didn't seem to intentionally knock it off, so all of that is irrelevant to last night. He was pretty typically hugging the post and it slid back. Granted, once he noticed it was coming off, I think he kicked back a little extra to make sure it was well off and the ref noticed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad