Net comes off in final minute of Chicago/Toronto game.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
https://www.bardown.com/john-tavare...mpCuYCPEiNyrQiJAclu8uS6n76k--2PE_wuF2D_5R5i3A

Looks like the mooring was already loose, it shouldn't coming off so easily, even with pressure. From certain angles it looks like he kicks it off near the end, but if it was already off the goal line, then as a goalie he has every right to knock it completely off.

Seems like they should be some of rule though in this situation.. like if the offensive team has possession of the puck and the net comes with no intent, lets call it an 'act of god' occurance, then that teams gets auto possession off the face-off? Standand set-up position, but only that team can pull the puck back. Seems like the only way to restore the situation to where it was. I don't know to be honest, but it seems like a team shouldn't loose possession in final seconds over something like this.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Toronto: OH MY GOD, WE'RE GUNNA COMPLETE THE COMEBACK

Chicago:
Mxln16E.png

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Obviously, it pissed me off in the moment, but that stuff happens. It is a small thing that happens that didn't work in our favor this time. It's pretty minor to allowing 4 goals in the first. Look, it hurt us tonight, but it is gamesmanship that happens all the time, that I'm sure I've seen Freddy pull too. It happens a few times a season.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
OMG, the net coming off in a CHICAGO versus TORONTO game where TORONTO got impacted?!?!

Let's discuss it like it's not something that happens all the time in non CHICAGO vs TORONTO games.

It's held in there by a rubber hose, it's going to come off sometimes.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
although that did not look to be on purpose

if determined by the ref to be deliberate, isnt that a simple delay of game penalty

I thought I heard the talking heads :blah: on TV saying that it could have been called a penalty shot because it happened in the last two minutes of the game.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
OMG, the net coming off in a CHICAGO versus TORONTO game where TORONTO got impacted?!?!

Let's discuss it like it's not something that happens all the time in non CHICAGO vs TORONTO games.

Yet if it was he other way around all the conspiracy theories would come out

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
If the net becomes displaced and the officials rule that it was deliberate on the part of the defending team, the attacking team should get a penalty shot (which anyone on the ice for the attacking team can take), IMO.
Yeah, but this is more of a discussion for when it comes off and its not deliberate. Does the team with possession really deserve to have to win a face-off to get it back in the last seconds of the game? Or do you say shit luck and call it day.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012

Bro, I'm a habs fan. I hate both these teams, especailly Toronto. :laugh:

I just wanted to discuss whether there should be a rule for this specific scenario.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
He backs into he the post obviously without intention of knocking the net off and it comes off. Then he backs into it again, harder, to make sure an official notices maybe

Don't think he did anything wrong, the first bump knocked it off and he didn't do that to knock it off on purpose

Reactions: Lolonegoal

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
He backs into he the post obviously without intention of knocking the net off and it comes off. Then he backs into it again, harder, to make sure an official notices maybe

Don't think he did anything wrong, the first bump knocked it off and he didn't do that to knock it off on purpose
It shouldn't matter. A team can "accidentally" shoot the puck over the glass but intent doesn't matter.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Deliberately knocking the net off should be an automatic goal.
First of all, that would make the offside challenge the second worst rule in hockey. Secondly, he didn't knock the net off deliberately.

Reactions: Geoist

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

Why you so butthurt that two o6 teams get more attention? Kinda silly if you ask me.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If the ref deems it was intentional, it’s a penalty shot due to how much time is left in the game.

If the ref deems it was accidental, it’s a faceoff in the zone unless Toronto was already in the act of shooting when it came off and the shot was going to go in had the net not been displaced, then it would be an awarded goal.

Given how little the goalie actually pushed on the net, it seems accidental and the peg must have been dislodged or damaged earlier.

Also the Leafs weren’t in the act of shooting when it came off (or if they were, the keeper stopped that shot) so there’s no potential awarded goal scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Chill out.

Reactions: Kurtz and Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca