Net comes off in final minute of Chicago/Toronto game.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean what is there to talk about? The play before, was a play that you see all the time... and the goalie pushing off the net is a normal thing... sucks the ref didn't notice.... but not much you can do to fix what happened, just unlucky from a leafs prespective.

Maybe if they played 60 mins instead of 20 mins they wouldn't have to worry about this.

Reactions: fivesberg

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
In real time and the heat of the moment I definitely thought it looked more intentional than I think it looks now. It looks like a very standard goalie movie to hug the post and in 99 times out of 100 it doesn't come off. In this situation...it came off. I do think there's a very real chance it cost the Leafs a chance at overtime but that looks pretty unintentional now.

But anything intentional should obviously be a penalty.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
In real time and the heat of the moment I definitely thought it looked more intentional than I think it looks now. It looks like a very standard goalie movie to hug the post and in 99 times out of 100 it doesn't come off. In this situation...it came off. I do think there's a very real chance it cost the Leafs a chance at overtime but that looks pretty unintentional now.

But anything intentional should obviously be a penalty.
On page 1 there is a play where it probably came off... just went unnoticed, every goalie does what the hawks goalie did... net was clearly just not on right after the initial play.(its on page 1 down towards the middle)

here ill bring it to page 3 :)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pretty petty for a moderator, no wonder Leaf threads get derailed when the guys who are supposed to keep things civil get in on the action. Especially considering the thread was made by a habs fan. Well done, keeping it professional.
its cute when leaf fans make a thread about every little thing, and then wonder why their threads get derailed

I mean honestly this is a nothing play that happens 100 times a season, its unfortunate but you cant make a rule based on the ref missing something... Chicago didn't really do anything in the first play or the net coming off play to warrant punishment.

Reactions: Geoist

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
It shouldn't matter. A team can "accidentally" shoot the puck over the glass but intent doesn't matter.

Yeah, no. Nets get knocked off unintentionally all the time and it's not an automatic penalty. How many times have you seen a goal awarded or delay of game penalty for a net being knocked off. Damn few for how often the net gets knocked off

This dekes dude seems really dedicated to his narrative. The delia troofer conspiracy is born :loony:

Reactions: Geoist

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
OMG, the net coming off in a CHICAGO versus TORONTO game where TORONTO got impacted?!?!

Let's discuss it like it's not something that happens all the time in non CHICAGO vs TORONTO games.

It's held in there by a rubber hose, it's going to come off sometimes.
But if it was say a game between Carolina and Arizona that would be OK to discuss right. Sure sometimes it comes off but that was deliberate last night as the Hawks were getting peppered with shots but because it's the Leafs it offends you. OK there.....

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But if it was say a game between Carolina and Arizona that would be OK to discuss right. Sure sometimes it comes off but that was deliberate last night as the Hawks were getting peppered with shots but because it's the Leafs it offends you. OK there.....

If it happened in a game of AZ vs. Car, there probably wouldn't be a thread in the first place.

Looks to me like that is just a standard goalie hugging the post scenario and the net must have already been loose. That type of plays by goalies happen multiple times / game without the net dislodging.

Who knows for sure, but that's how I see it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
"John Tavares proposes interesting rule change after controversial disallowed goal against Chicago"

Man, they were really reaching for a headline on that one. The net was off for about 10 seconds and the play was blown dead for like 3 seconds. Does that really qualify as a "Disallowed goal"?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If it happened in a game of AZ vs. Car, there probably wouldn't be a thread in the first place.

Looks to me like that is just a standard goalie hugging the post scenario and the net must have already been loose. That type of plays by goalies happen multiple times / game without the net dislodging.

Who knows for sure, but that's how I see it.
He knew exactly what he was doing especially the way Toronto was all over the Hawks in the 3rd period. He got away with it and all the power to a player if he can get away with it but it was deliberate especially with when it happened.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I am a Hawk fan.
Sorry, I meant objective Hawks fans. Actually, even you know, you just won't admit it.

It was already off from a previous play it looks like someone posted on page 1...
It was not off from before. The net zips right back into position after that play, and you can see the post perfectly aligned with the goal line, in both videos showing both plays.

Even if the peg was mildly damaged, which is there is no indication of, the net was in place and fine before the goalie intentionally pushed it off, which is against the rules. The post was pushed against in the time between those plays multiple times, and it conveniently didn't come off except when the goalie needed it to.

People grasping at straws to try and disprove something that is overwhelmingly obvious.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He knew exactly what he was doing especially the way Toronto was all over the Hawks in the 3rd period. He got away with it and all the power to a player if he can get away with it but it was deliberate especially with when it happened

Meh, you are making assumptions just like I am. I see goalies do that exact same thing multiple times every game and the net doesn't come off. Seems like it was loose to me.

You see it differently, which is fine.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Sorry, I meant objective Hawks fans. Actually, even you know, you just won't admit it.

It was not off from before. The net zips right back into position after that play, and you can see the post perfectly aligned with the goal line, in both videos showing both plays.

Even if the peg was mildly damaged, which is there is no indication of, the net was in place and fine before the goalie intentionally pushed it off, which is against the rules. The post was pushed against in the time between those plays multiple times, and it conveniently didn't come off except when the goalie needed it to.

People grasping at straws to try and disprove something that is overwhelmingly obvious.
Then how do you rationaize your proposition with the leafs fans that claim it wasnt intentional? They're not objective? They're just self hating?

Proclaiming ill intent to something so mundane and possibly accidental is the epitome of grasping at straws. It's clear the irrational type of fallacious view that is not being sensible at all.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Then how do you rationaize your proposition with the leafs fans that claim it wasnt intentional? They're not objective? They're just self hating?

Proclaiming ill intent to something so mundane and possibly accidental is the epitome of grasping at straws. It's clear the irrational type of fallacious view that is not being sensible at all.

penalties get called all the time when there is no intent - tripping is a great example

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It's held in there by a rubber hose, it's going to come off sometimes.

BREAKING: NHL League Officials Complete Rubber Hose Handling Training

giphy.gif

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
penalties get called all the time when there is no intent - tripping is a great example

And tripping happens all the time with and without intent and are let go without a call.

Not sure where this circle is going.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
And tripping happens all the time with and without intent and are let go without a call.

Not sure where this circle is going.

i jumped in i admit without reading the rest of the circle - i think you call that penalty on Delia, penalties are to teach the player not to do it again, if goalies see this as an option moving forward if they do it well enough they will take advantage.

refs make calls that get blood boiling / create drama all the time now anyway, this would be no different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad