NCAA: NCAA off season thread

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
KU basketball would be a huge attraction for the Big Ten. Rutgers and Maryland got in with mediocre football programs.

Sanctions are short-term. Can't see that being an issue.

Making a lot more money generally trumps academics in this era. KU could probably get away with promising to make a few academic upgrades for the sake of appearances if they had to.
Texas and OU have reportedly been working on this since late last year. They probably have their political ducks in a row.

I think it's a done deal.
Yeah, this doesn’t get out of it isn’t happening. And doesn’t sound like anyone’s coming with them. I just don’t see where the big 12 survives. Do they have enough juice to raid the ACC? Not seeing that one either. Those other schools will only be more worried about their status as a P5 school, they will all split to save their own asses

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
If anything, there are many G5 schools interested in joining the P5.

Plus CBS needs the Big 12 to keep operating, because if CBS can't get the Big Ten rights as a replacement for the SEC, they will want the Big 12 instead.

The Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma pretty much becomes a G5 conference and makes finding that next TV contract an uphill battle.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma pretty much becomes a G5 conference and makes finding that next TV contract an uphill battle.

CBS is willing for pay for any replacement for the SEC. As it stands, there is the possibility of affiliates in markets within the SEC footprint switching to ABC in order to continue carrying the conference's football games. This would be not unlike the exodus of CBS affiliates in NFC markets to Fox in the 1990s after that network took the NFC away from the Tiffany Network.

It would be particularly devastating if CBS lost WBTV in Charlotte, affiliated with the network since 1949. The SC portion of that market is within the SEC footprint.

Also devastating would be the defection of WAFB, in LSU's home city of Baton Rouge, affiliated with CBS since 1953.

Both are owned by Gray Television.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Big12 dispersal draft:

Texas & Oklahoma to SEC to get to 16
Iowa State & Kansas to B1G to get to 16
West Virginia & Baylor to ACC to get to 16 (or Cincinnati over Baylor for geographical fit)
Texas Tech & Oklahoma State to PAC to get to 14, then San Diego St & Boise St to make it to 16. PAC is anti-religious schools hence no to BYU, Baylor or TCU
Kansas State & TCU remains to the AAC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’d think Kansas State finds a home in at least a level spot as Kansas. I don’t see the American getting a piece of the power conference action, not at least until the Pac 12 and ACC find a way to use them as leverage.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
Big12 dispersal draft:

West Virginia & Baylor to ACC to get to 16 (or Cincinnati over Baylor for geographical fit)
Texas Tech & Oklahoma State to PAC to get to 14, then San Diego St & Boise St to make it to 16. PAC is anti-religious schools hence no to BYU, Baylor or TCU

Think TTU ends up in the AAC.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When I see this shake out for Oklahoma State, I feel like their play could be to go independent? They are solidly a top-10 capable program, but it’s hard to be in the same conference as Oklahoma. They don’t really fit anywhere else. It could make sense for them to go it alone, and get to play Notre Dame and BYU often.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Big12 dispersal draft:

Cinci needs to join Ohio St.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I honestly only see Iowa State, Kansas, West Virginia & Baylor ending up in another great conference. The rest will probably have to take a step down. The rest don't have the draw to justify a conference allowing them in to only split revenue with another school that doesn't bring as much in to compensate. These schools are going to scram as soon as they find a conference willing to take them. That will make it difficult to keep the BIG12 together.

Reactions: PhillyWings

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
College football realignment fallout: What's next with Texas, Oklahoma stating intent to leave Big 12 for SEC

In 2016, Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard made this prescient statement: "The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference."

Those words hit like a sledgehammer today. As the SEC shocked the world by preparing to assume the 'Horns and Sooners, the Big 12 lost 50% to 75% of its value, several industry sources tell CBS Sports. Their TV contracts with ESPN and Fox contain language that allows the Big 12 networks to reduce payouts if there is a loss of membership.

"When you're losing two of the most visible programs, the network has the right to come and say, 'We're going to reduce the rights by X.'" one longtime, high-profile administrator said.
That means the Big 12 deal could drop from $37 million in annual revenue to as low as $9 million per school.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I think I know how OK State can get into the SEC.

Missouri would leave for the Big Ten, which would also add Iowa State to keep the membership even. This opens a slot for OK State in the SEC, and a slot in the Big 12 for a school other than Boise State, BYU, Houston, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple, and UCF - all of whom I want to join the Big 12. Perhaps that 9th new member will be Colorado State to secure the Denver market. A tenth new member would also be required in the Big 12 - perhaps Tulane (ironically a former SEC school).

In terms of media rights, CBS and NBC would be very interested in having the Big 12 in their stables, perhaps even a joint deal. CBS would either partner with Turner for their half of the package, or put their cable games on Paramount Movie Network. NBC would use USA for the cable portion of their half of the package.

As it is, CBS is losing the SEC before OU and Texas join, two seasons shy of the partnership's 30th anniversary. The Big 12 would be easy to get. It's possible CBS could also get Big Ten football games in addition to basketball, but that is a tougher sell for that conference. If CBS does get Big Ten rights, they could very well insist on the Big Ten having night football games every week of the season, up through and including Thanksgiving weekend, where the Big Ten has never played at night unlike the other P5 leagues and unlike the similar footprint G5 league the MAC. This could open the door to Michigan-Ohio State being played at night.

As for NBC, they only have Notre Dame, which hasn't won a national title since 1988 - three years before that partnership began, and if ND is considered its own conference, it has the longest active title drought of all the collective P5 memberships, 16 years longer than the next drought that of the Pac-12, frustrating the network.

I considered NBC my favorite to pick up the OTA portion of the SEC package. I thought they should have the SEC considering ND's history of coming up short as an NBC property. In fact, they were eliminated from the CFP by the eventual champions, the SEC's Alabama, last year. And I thought it would have done NBC good to have broadcast rights to the conference with the most national titles in the 21st century.

I've said at times that NBC might dump the Irish if they don't win a national title by the time the current extension ends after the 2025 season. But would they actually do it if they had another conference to broadcast?

There has been talk about ND ending its football independence permanently, but I don't think that will happen. Their rivalry games with Navy, Stanford, and USC are too important, as well as the ability to schedule other top-flight programs more frequently than other P5 schools.

Last edited:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
This could be a good divisional alignment for the Big 12 with my new school suggestions:

North: Boise State, BYU, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Memphis, Temple, West Virginia
South: Baylor, Houston, SMU, South Florida, TCU, Texas Tech, Tulane, UCF

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
So yeah, I consider the American in far more trouble than the Big 12, with so many programs dying to be in a P5 league. I also propose Cincinnati join the ACC, and if they can right their football ship, UConn too (they already righted the ship in men's basketball, which is the main attraction in the ACC).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This could be a good divisional alignment for the Big 12 with my new school suggestions:

North: Boise State, BYU, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Memphis, Temple, West Virginia
South: Baylor, Houston, SMU, South Florida, TCU, Texas Tech, Tulane, UCF
It would be an east-west alignment. And forget BYU, they stay independent.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
It would be an east-west alignment. And forget BYU, they stay independent.

A clean E-W alignment would not be possible without separating same state schools. N-S would be.

The only other option I could see is the Western and Texas schools form the West, and the others form the East, but again it is not a clean E-W split, rather it simply divides the schools along state lines.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
West Virginia I gotta think can get into the ACC where they would return to their traditional rivals. That would give them 16 + Notre Dame.

BYU is out. They won’t do that. They may have considered it if Texas and Oklahoma were staying. They have their own TV deal with ESPN and the ability to make their schedule which they want.

Temple, I doubt would be invited. Yes they are in a big market but Philadelphia doesn’t give a shit about college football unless it’s Penn State. I could see it if the ACC were in need though for basketball purposes.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I believe the ACC told WVU to go away 10 years ago, not sure if they get in now but who knows. Geographic wise it would make sense.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
So yeah, I consider the American in far more trouble than the Big 12, with so many programs dying to be in a P5 league. I also propose Cincinnati join the ACC, and if they can right their football ship, UConn too (they already righted the ship in men's basketball, which is the main attraction in the ACC).
Without Oklahoma & Texas, the BigXII is not a Power5 conference anymore. It'll be like the last days of the Big East in the BCS. That's part of why the language in the proposed new playoff is top 6 conference champions and not Power 5 + 1 other.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Without Oklahoma & Texas, the BigXII is not a Power5 conference anymore. It'll be like the last days of the Big East in the BCS. That's part of why the language in the proposed new playoff is top 6 conference champions and not Power 5 + 1 other.
I said earlier that the ACC and Pac 12 need to find leverage from the other conferences if/when the Big 12 blows up. The Big 12 was never in a good place as it were after the last realignment. The real end game here is a Super 2 with the B1G and SEC as they still funnel in so much more money than the others. The Pac 12 has also never been in a good place because of poor TV contracts and no network, but they still have geography on their side. Once Clemson declines, the ACC will be in deep shit too.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011

And what if the Big 12 places a team in the playoff every year in this format?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad