NCAA: NCAA off season thread

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Kinda surprised Texas office is allowing us to consider the SEC with the almighty wannabe Stanford south. Was funny the report I was reading of a site i'm on said "they are fine with the academics because of Vanderbilt and UF".

I personally wanted the BIG10 but to each their own.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Kinda surprised Texas office is allowing us to consider the SEC with the almighty wannabe Stanford south. Was funny the report I was reading of a site i'm on said "they are fine with the academics because of Vanderbilt and UF".

I personally wanted the BIG10 but to each their own.
UGA is a very good school. On par with UF. The mediocre to bad schools are all from states with dismal K-12 public education so no surprise there. Most are still on par with schools from the Big 12

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
UGA is a very good school. On par with UF. The mediocre to bad schools are all from states with dismal K-12 public education so no surprise there. Most are still on par with schools from the Big 12
Oh that I know. I think CDC was the best hire, Texas could have made. couple years ago SEC would've been a non starter because Texas wanted to be Stanford south.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Also with the news today, calling my shot from what I've been reading. Arch Manning commits to Texas.

best part about this, it seems like Texas A&M was left in the complete dark.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Was just noticing this now. Pretty big news.

If they leave the B12 is dead football wise
I personal think that may be the best case for NCAA power football.

Eventually get to 4 SuperPower conferences, with 16 teams each, so 2 divisions of 8. ACC/SEC/PAC/BIG10. If enough schools want to join them, maybe it's 18 teams each.

Just a bit odd if OU/TEX go to SEC due to geography, but A&M and Mizz are already in the SEC so who really cares about geography now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I personal think that may be the best case for NCAA power football.

Eventually get to 4 SuperPower conferences, with 16 teams each, so 2 divisions of 8. ACC/SEC/PAC/BIG10. If enough schools want to join them, maybe it's 18 teams each.

Just a bit odd if OU/TEX go to SEC due to geography, but A&M and Mizz are already in the SEC so who really cares about geography now.
Texas hasn’t cared about geography for a while, at least they didn’t when they let the Big Ten and Pac-10 court them. They were gonna leave Oklahoma behind too.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Sounds like it's getting close to a done deal. Apparently been planned behind the scenes for months and other SEC members somehow kept it secret from A&M. And no leaks until this week.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As soon as I saw that, I immediately wondered how long it’d be before Kansas tried to reach out to the Big Ten, and it turns out not very long at all.

Rumor: Big 12 school sets up call to discuss joining the Big Ten

I personally wouldn’t be a fan, but then again I also thought that Rutgers was a mistake, so I’m on a different mindset than the Big Ten.

Note: my grand suggestion at the time of the initial conference shakeups a decade ago was that the Big Ten should’ve moved on Nebraska, Mizzou, Syracuse, Maryland, and Virginia to get to 16 teams (and depending on how crazy they wanted to be, North Carolina and Georgia Tech to get to 18 teams).

member 51464

As soon as I saw that, I immediately wondered how long it’d be before Kansas tried to reach out to the Big Ten, and it turns out not very long at all.

Rumor: Big 12 school sets up call to discuss joining the Big Ten

I personally wouldn’t be a fan, but then again I also thought that Rutgers was a mistake, so I’m on a different mindset than the Big Ten.

Note: my grand suggestion at the time of the initial conference shakeups a decade ago was that the Big Ten should’ve moved on Nebraska, Mizzou, Syracuse, Maryland, and Virginia to get to 16 teams (and depending on how crazy they wanted to be, North Carolina and Georgia Tech to get to 18 teams).
With the spectre of NCAA sanctions of KU basketball, and the embarrassing doormat of a football program, I really would be shocked if the Big 10 wanted to take Kansas in. It is pretty middle of t he pack academically as far as I know, and doesn't really fit in that regard either (isn't the Big 10 the best academically overall of all the power conferences?)

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
With the spectre of NCAA sanctions of KU basketball, and the embarrassing doormat of a football program, I really would be shocked if the Big 10 wanted to take Kansas in. It is pretty middle of t he pack academically as far as I know, and doesn't really fit in that regard either (isn't the Big 10 the best academically overall of all the power conferences?)
KU basketball would be a huge attraction for the Big Ten. Rutgers and Maryland got in with mediocre football programs.

Sanctions are short-term. Can't see that being an issue.

Making a lot more money generally trumps academics in this era. KU could probably get away with promising to make a few academic upgrades for the sake of appearances if they had to.
If Texas A&M and Oklahoma politicians have their way, it will be Oklahoma State that joins the SEC with OU.
Texas and OU have reportedly been working on this since late last year. They probably have their political ducks in a row.

I think it's a done deal.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
College Footballs landscape was already weird when A&M and Mizzou left the Big12, now it's going to be really weird. So where does Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor etc end up?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
If anything, there are many G5 schools interested in joining the P5.

Plus CBS needs the Big 12 to keep operating, because if CBS can't get the Big Ten rights as a replacement for the SEC, they will want the Big 12 instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad