NCAA: NCAA off season thread

TheGreenTBer

If Elvis calls tell him to f*ck off
Apr 30, 2021
Would he sit and/or redshirt for a year, or would they attempt to play him this early?

It's OSU and every year is a contention year, no time to waste on a guy not ready to go.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
REPORT: Big 12 sends cease & desist letter to ESPN

After days of rumors swirling about ESPN’s involvement in Oklahoma and Texas’ decision to leave the Big 12, the league has taken a step towards attempting to put a stop to the Worldwide Leader’s actions.

As first reported by Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel, the Big 12 has sent a cease and desist letter to ESPN on Wednesday looking to prevent the television network from communicating with league members regarding conference realignment.

“The letter demands ESPN end ‘all actions that may harm the conference and its members and that it not communicate with the Big 12 Conference’s existing members,'” Thamel wrote on Twitter. “‘Or any NCAA conference regarding the Big 12 conference’s members, possible conference realignment or potential financial incentive or outcomes related to possible conference realignment.”

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Right now survival is the only concern. The Big 12 may cease to exist after 2021-22.
Unless CBS and NBC prepare to offer a TV contract that would be more generous than the ones for the other existing P5 leagues - and in the process, buy ESPN and Fox out of the remaining years of the current contract. As it is, if the Big Ten says no, the Big 12 is the last hope for CBS to remain relevant in the CFB broadcasting world.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma pretty much becomes a G5 conference and makes finding that next TV contract an uphill battle.
Yeah, some prestigious or good basketball programs, but they aren't really big markets or football draws that appeal to other conferences.

The issue with Iowa State and Kansas to the B1G is that they have to show they maintain the value of the conference, which means they have to add about 55m into the collective pot for the conference split, and its hard to see either getting close to that. Maybe the B1G sees Kansas basketball value, but how close do they have to be to that 55m to get an invite. The running belief is that the Big 12's yearly payments (I believe 38m) are worth what they are is 50% due to Texas and Oklahoma, meaning that the average Big 12 teams value is around 23.75m. So, I have a hard time seeing how Kansas, and especially ISU make financial sense for the Big 10, outside of them both being AAU schools. If anything, I think the Big 10 would want to raid the Pac-12 (Mainly the Cali schools) or get their dream scenario and finally get ND.

member 51464

Yeah, some prestigious or good basketball programs, but they aren't really big markets or football draws that appeal to other conferences.

The issue with Iowa State and Kansas to the B1G is that they have to show they maintain the value of the conference, which means they have to add about 55m into the collective pot for the conference split, and its hard to see either getting close to that. Maybe the B1G sees Kansas basketball value, but how close do they have to be to that 55m to get an invite. The running belief is that the Big 12's yearly payments (I believe 38m) are worth what they are is 50% due to Texas and Oklahoma, meaning that the average Big 12 teams value is around 23.75m. So, I have a hard time seeing how Kansas, and especially ISU make financial sense for the Big 10, outside of them both being AAU schools. If anything, I think the Big 10 would want to raid the Pac-12 (Mainly the Cali schools) or get their dream scenario and finally get ND.
How popular is Kansas in the STL market and would adding that and Kansas City into the footprint do much for the B1G? I really have no idea on most of this stuff.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Kansas makes mostly no sense, Iowa State makes absolutely no sense in any shape or form. Neither one of those schools has a following in football (which is where the money is). And the idea of thinking of schools as TV markets to 'gain' is really very 2010 and really should be irrelevant in 2021. The SEC is doing it right, they're acquiring heavyweights that generate hype and national attention. They don't care about TV ratings in OKC, they care about national TV ratings generated by premium match-ups.

The only sensible counter-moves for the Big Ten would be big brands/names like Notre Dame or North Carolina, maybe some of the West coast names like USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon. But none of those may actually work out, so it makes a lot more sense to sit tight and enjoy what you have than to subtract by addition of mediocre programs whose territory is mostly made up of corn fields and who no-one but the farmers out there gives a damn about.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Damn didnt think ESPN would be so ruthless concerning the AAC news. Trying to get our of the B12 contract by causing its collapse....

They are more invested in the AAC product than the B12 product at this point.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Missouri would want to be in the Big Ten because in moving there, they would go from being in a conference where they are the only Midwestern school to one where only three schools are not Midwestern.

Iowa State would want in the Big Ten because of the appeal of making Iowa a conference game. I'm sure Iowa would want that too.

Both are AAU, which is important to the conference.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

The NCAA appears to be moving quickly on something.

The NCAA said Friday that it would be calling a special constitutional convention in November to discuss changes to the way that college sports are governed. The governing body will have a 22-person panel that includes administrators and athletes to potentially draft a new constitution for the NCAA and its member schools to follow.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm not certain how interested the Big Ten would be in Kansas.

I see no reason at all why the Big Ten would be interested in Iowa State. The conference's expansion policy since starting the Big Ten Network has been to increase the media footprint into new states and big markets. With Iowa already in the fold adding Iowa State isn't going to do much in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->