NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I enjoy our conversations - we agree on some things, disagree on some things, but we find a way to have a respectful, interesting discussion. It's too bad these posts are so often deleted :laugh:
Hey, I hope you are right on the thing we were just discussing.

Reactions: Monk

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I see. I won't look into comparable country's data to see whether that's true or not, but that makes far more sense than what I thought you were saying.

However, you're way off base on the bold. There are varying stats, but police in the US spend roughly 4% of their time dealing with violent crime. You're correct that they're overwhelmed, though - it's just that they're dealing with the homeless crisis, the drug crisis, traffic incidents, random medical issues, non violent theft, etc. And that's what "defund the police" is actually about - shifting budget from the police to services that are experts in and dedicated to handling those types of issues. I believe we still need a police force to deal with violent crime, but it's a tiny percentage of what they face every day. Can't imagine doing that job.
A large % of police budgets goes to fighting drugs.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
However, you're way off base on the bold. There are varying stats, but police in the US spend roughly 4% of their time dealing with violent crime. You're correct that they're overwhelmed, though - it's just that they're dealing with the homeless crisis, the drug crisis, traffic incidents, random medical issues, non violent theft, etc. And that's what "defund the police" is actually about - shifting budget from the police to services that are experts in and dedicated to handling those types of issues. I believe we still need a police force to deal with violent crime, but it's a tiny percentage of what they face every day. Can't imagine doing that job.

does it matter what percentage of their time goes to dealing with violent crime ? it can be 1 % or it can be over10% in a city. its the high bar of violence that is overwhelming them... and its going to continue to do so until u stop citizens access to firearms...

imo it affects every arrest, every interaction between the police and citizens is a potential fight for ur life incident. u cant solve this problem with funding. heck, if u give officers more money, they have more to lose and be even quicker on the trigger.

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It would be if you weren’t Just using it to shut down another conversation on human rights.

I’m not shutting down anything. Using a platform to bring light to injustice is always a good thing. I’m pointing out how hypocritical they and the league are.

If police unions contributed millions towards league revenue, would their actions be the same? I would hope so, but based on what we’ve already seen with the silence bought by China, it’s unfortunately a legitimate question.

Reactions: Voight and King 88

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I’m not shutting down anything. Using a platform to bring light to injustice is always a good thing. I’m pointing out how hypocritical they and the league are.

If police unions contributed millions towards league revenue, would their actions be the same? I would hope so, but based on what we’ve already seen with the silence bought by China, it’s unfortunately a legitimate question.
Maybe the league is. But the players? Yea, I mean, how dare they focus on issues thats directly affecting them and their family?

Reactions: Terry Yake

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Maybe the league is. But the players? Yea, I mean, how dare they focus on issues thats directly affecting them and their family?

When players, like Lebron, are asked directly about the situation and the response is “we don’t know the full story,” how is that any different than when someone watches a man get shot multiple times in the back and then says “well, we need to wait to hear the other side of this”

If we only need to worry about what affects ourselves and our families directly then should I not focus on the BLM movement because it has no direct impact on me or my family? Or should I continue to support it because it’s the right thing to do?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
When players, like Lebron, are asked directly about the situation and the response is “we don’t know the full story,” how is that any different than when someone watches a man get shot multiple times in the back and then says “well, we need to wait to hear the other side of this”
Lebron should have never said that. Yes. Like...just because Lebron said something dumb shouldn't meant BLM is illegitimate. I don't know why yall think Lebron the only black man out here that matters.

If we only need to worry about what affects ourselves and our families directly then should I not focus on the BLM movement because it has no direct impact on me or my family? Or should I continue to support it because it’s the right thing to do?
If you are getting shot at, do you worry about China too?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Lebron should have never said that. Yes. Like...just because Lebron said something dumb shouldn't meant BLM is illegitimate. I don't know why yall think Lebron the only black man out here that matters.

If you are getting shot at, do you worry about China too?

You said that the league is ok to be criticized but not the players. I gave you an example of the highest profile player saying something hypocritical. Again, who is saying that BLM is illegitimate? NBA players have no integrity, that’s all I am saying.

Do you really think most NBA players are being shot at (at least now that Gilbert Arenas is out of the league)?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
You said that the league is ok to be criticized but not the players. I gave you an example of the highest profile player saying something hypocritical. Again, who is saying that BLM is illegitimate? NBA players have no integrity, that’s all I am saying.

Do you really think most NBA players are being shot at (at least now that Gilbert Arenas is out of the league)?
Why are you assuming NBA players are all like Lebron?

NBA players has had run in with racially profiling cops in the past. So its an issue that affects them EVEN NOW.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
They got woke and then they went Broke
NBA Will Leave Social Justice Messages To Be 'Delivered Off The Floor' Amid Ratings Dive | The Daily Wire

But the league is now struggling to retain viewership. According to Sports Illustrated, the 2020 NBA Finals, between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Miami Heat — two teams that typically draw in huge audiences — is the lowest in league history. Game 3 of the NBA Finals drew just over 5 million viewers.

“I would say, in terms of the messages you see on the court and our jerseys, this was an extraordinary moment in time when we began these discussions with the players and what we all lived through this summer. My sense is there’ll be somewhat a return to normalcy, that those messages will largely be left to be delivered off the floor,” he added.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
They got woke and then they went Broke
NBA Will Leave Social Justice Messages To Be 'Delivered Off The Floor' Amid Ratings Dive | The Daily Wire

But the league is now struggling to retain viewership. According to Sports Illustrated, the 2020 NBA Finals, between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Miami Heat — two teams that typically draw in huge audiences — is the lowest in league history. Game 3 of the NBA Finals drew just over 5 million viewers.

“I would say, in terms of the messages you see on the court and our jerseys, this was an extraordinary moment in time when we began these discussions with the players and what we all lived through this summer. My sense is there’ll be somewhat a return to normalcy, that those messages will largely be left to be delivered off the floor,” he added.
did anyone actually think the messages on jerseys/on the court were going to be permanent?

Sep 19, 2008
I don't mind the politics. In fact I would say the politics aren't even wrong and a national stage for said politics is good.

The NBA's decline has very little to do with politics. The NBA's decline is a serious issue into stacked super teams and lack of parity. Said this many times but nobody wants to watch GS win 5 straight Western Conference finals without breaking a sweat, playing scrubs along the way. And then people wonder why NBA ratings have taken a steep nose dive since 2012.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad