NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by DuncanMacpherson, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Just setting straight what has and has not been said.

2. Cassano Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 160,606
    Software Engineer

3. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Stan is still missing the whole reason people are calling the NBA and certain individuals out on China.

4. Stylizer1 SENSimillanaire

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Rocket Surgeon

5. SomeDude Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    What a stupid take.

The NBA refusing to acknowledge atrocities happening to another group of people means either the players’ silence can be bought like a bunch of cheap prostitutes, or social injustice only matters when it hits close to home for them.

Big Poppa Puck and Voight like this.
  6. Stylizer1 SENSimillanaire

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Rocket Surgeon
    It shows the average NBA player knows nothing about education.

7. Stylizer1 SENSimillanaire

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Rocket Surgeon

This is an extremely good take on what is going on.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  8. kmart Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    i see police brutality protests here in europe now. a teenage kid at the same time heavyweight amateur boxer crying to the media that the police forceful handled him when he resisted arrest... these reports feel so desperate and forced at times, it makes me cringe. it makes me draw the line and share my opinion on why the us is in a unique situation not comparable at all with europe or any other country no matter how hard our leftist wish it would be.

right of the bat i say this is not a racial problem. the data that is interesting for me here is the high killing rate per capita which is tied to firearms combined with the highest prisoner count on earth... be it per capita or total. the prisons are full and more people coming in. therefore the problem is the high bar of violence in the us.
    the society is essential on average violent. in order to enforce the law the government/police must be violent on average as well. i am not defending the officers who abuse power, i am just saying sickos will be drawn to these jobs or often officers are simply overmatched because this job requires high competence (my guess is that competent people wont ever approach a job that deals with life and death situations on a regular basis no matter how hard u fund the police).

so the police brutality/black lives movement is nothing more than a deranged gunlaw debate as the solution would be to lower the average violence aka. removing firearms. i know this as been tried in isolated areas... this is however not comparable at all. removing firearms is not possible, this task would require multiple terms of office and you would only see the results over that span, it also would open another can of problems. its going to happen some time but meanwhile we have whatever the media is doing now. i enjoy young rich guys taking a stand, so strong, having real problems over there.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  9. Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Business Development
    Lol. The Chinese overlords have gotten to Stan too. What a joke of a take.

Voight and McRpro like this.
  10. Cassano Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 160,606
    Software Engineer
    Lol.

11. BKIslandersFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Ok, so you tell me what you have done to help Chinese people that are being oppressed. Specific examples, please.

12. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Are you guys just missing the point on purpose now?

13. Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Business Development
    Really? I'll play along though. I haven't done a single thing to help the Uyghurs. That said, I'm not on "trial" here-the NBA is. The fact that they (and I use they because it's almost collectively) can pillory the U.S. and it's social, political, and economic ills (rightfully so) while willfully ignoring the atrocities going on in China due to $$$$ is the height of hypocrisy. It completely undermines the current message IMO.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Korg likes this.
  14. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    ...have you been to the US? American society isn't violent "on average" - that makes no sense and isn't grounded in reality. That isn't true even if you were to apply it only to those incarcerated.

It's interesting you're focusing on guns (though I don't disagree with your conclusion that fewer guns = less violence), while the protests in the US are mostly focusing on the killing of unarmed Americans by the police.

15. kmart Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000

people in prisons represent the crime rate in a country, this is true for every country. there is this famous quote: "the degree of a civilization can be judged by entering its prisons". why is my conclusion that crime rate represent violence not grounded in reality? its true that not every crime has violence in it and also the reasons on why there are so many incarcerated people is complicated. the averages u can draw from these numbers are still valid. by the way... when i say violent on average it means compared to other countries.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  16. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Perhaps I'm wildly misunderstanding what you're saying, but this makes no sense. Just for the sake of argument, let's say 15% of the Americans in the justice system are there due to violent crimes - would you draw the conclusion that that is representative of the American population at large? Or in other words, that there are ~57,000,000 violent criminals in the US wandering around?

The way you're using the phrase "on average" means you believe an American citizen is more likely to be a violent criminal that to not be a violent criminal.

17. BKIslandersFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Yes because if you haven’t done anything to help then you don’t actually care about the Chinese.

18. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    To not factor in the drug war when talking about prison population and crime rates is a bit silly, that's why it's also silly to act like we aren't ****ed either way when it comes to the election. Ending the war on drugs and treating drug addiction as a health crisis as opposed to a criminal issue will go a very long way to fixing the issues that people are protesting about. We have a guaranteed 4 more years of that not changing, that's a hard reality that people have to come to gripes with. And that affects all demographics, especially the poor of all racial backgrounds.

Don't want to get too political, but I think the drug war really is one of the keys that will fix a lot of the issues on this topic. It won't be everything, and it's not to blame for everything, but it'll be a big step.

19. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Are you referencing something Biden did decades ago by any chance? Not sure why that holds more weight for you than his current plans (which is basically more prevention/treatment, less "war on drugs") if elected. I get you have no faith in those plans being achieved, but the guy has actual plans to do what you're suggesting.

20. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    He was VP for 8 years. All the rumored cabinet and advisors come from that Admin. If you have hope and faith, that's fine, I'm extremely pessimistic on that.

And if I'm wrong, then great, I'd love to be wrong on this. Whoever can successfully end the war on drugs gets a thumbs up from me. Whoever views drug addiction as a health crisis gets a thumbs up from me. Same goes for who ends our war mentality.

21. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Again, I don't think what Obama did is that relevant to what Biden will do, but since you brought it up, Obama did quite a bit to end the war on drugs. Just off the top, he pardoned and shortened federal drug sentences and signed a massive bill (just looked it up, $1 billion) to combat the opioid/heroin epidemic exclusively through public health programs. I'm not sure why those 8 years are a negative for Biden in your eyes.

22. kmart Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    you misunderstood. using ur sentence from my point of view: us citizens are more likely to be involved in a violent crime than citizens in other comparable countries, especially with heavy gun regulated laws.

there are over 2 million people in prisons. they are not representing the citizens in the us 1:1...
    my initial point is: more people in prison = more people who break the law = more violence

not to get way off track here... these incidents with the police killing/harming unarmed citizens are just the result of overwhelmed police departments dealing with violent crimes. so as long as the bar of violence stays high/enhanced by firearms, we are going to see officers snap now and then... i mean these rich mad children can boycott and stand and kneel all day, its just another platform to narrate themselves as some justice warriors. nothing is going to change. black lives should go after these gun laws instead of the police.

23. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Just because you break the law, doesn't mean it was violence.

Stylizer1 and Monk like this.
  24. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    I see. I won't look into comparable country's data to see whether that's true or not, but that makes far more sense than what I thought you were saying.

However, you're way off base on the bold. There are varying stats, but police in the US spend roughly 4% of their time dealing with violent crime. You're correct that they're overwhelmed, though - it's just that they're dealing with the homeless crisis, the drug crisis, traffic incidents, random medical issues, non violent theft, etc. And that's what "defund the police" is actually about - shifting budget from the police to services that are experts in and dedicated to handling those types of issues. I believe we still need a police force to deal with violent crime, but it's a tiny percentage of what they face every day. Can't imagine doing that job.

25. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I enjoy our conversations - we agree on some things, disagree on some things, but we find a way to have a respectful, interesting discussion. It's too bad these posts are so often deleted :laugh:

bleedblue1223 likes this.