NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by DuncanMacpherson, Jun 28, 2020.

1. hyduK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    There’s plenty of people that have been gradually convinced that wouldn’t have agreed before. Constant awareness creates progress. Each police brutality instance is nuanced in different ways and presents different evidence that can sway someone’s opinion.

There’s also a huge cohort of people who are on the fence or generally indifferent. Maybe someone who didn’t feel compelled to go out and vote will be pushed enough to one side to actually go fill out a ballot.

If you think minds can’t be changed then how come George Floyd was such a large event? Police have been shooting black people forever, and in the spotlight for decades now, if you can’t change minds then what suddenly was different with that one?

2. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Because George Floyd was the most egregious one we've ever seen. Then in the fallout we've seen destructive riots and calls to defund and even abolish police, those things have been very controversial. Over 30 poeple died during all the George Floyd protests/riots. Portland has gone of the deepend, did you see that guy who was defending a trans-gendered individual who was being robbed and almost got beaten to death? The extreme polarization of how things get portrayed depending on what side you are on. The divisions are deeper than they ever have been.

George Floyd is the only incident where the vast majority were in agreement from the start because it was clear an obvious that it is way out of line. Most of the other incidents have a lot more nuance to them.

Big Poppa Puck and Voight like this.
  3. hyduK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Except it really wasn't that much more egregious than the others.

Eric Garner
    Michael Brown
    Freddie Gray
    Alton Sterling
    Breonna Taylor
    etc.

Any instance of the police (who are paid with tax money to serve and protect) unnecessarily killing someone is egregious. And these are only the killings. There's new videos every day of police abusing their power in other harmful ways. The police as a whole are egregiously abusing their power, it has nothing to do with one incident.

It's reached a boiling point. The reason it's reached a boiling point very much has to do with the quantity of people who have been made aware. Those protests aren't national news for weeks on end if so many people don't show up. So many people don't show up if you don't constantly raise awareness as to how often these things happen.

The goal is to keep the momentum going. In the short term it has to go till November and make sure people get out and vote. Long term there's decades of missteps to reverse and it won't happen overnight.

Beau Knows likes this.
  4. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    We can agree to disagree then.

hyduK likes this.
  5. Stylizer1 SENSimillanaire

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Rocket Surgeon
    If they were in the off season routines they wouldn't be doing any of this.

Voight likes this.
  6. daver Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Home Page:
    I don't think the problem of a black man being killed by cops is this.

7. hyduK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    I mean the underlying issue is obviously systemic racism. I'd argue it takes a special piece of shit to actually go through with murdering someone though, and those are all things you can fix/improve to reduce the number of special pieces of shit that become cops (that number is high right now).

8. daver Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Home Page:
    What do you mean by "systemic racism"?

And use of excessive force is not murder, and it is done to more white people than black if you want to break it down by race.

9. hyduK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Did they die from the excessive force? Yeah, that's murder.

10. daver Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Home Page:
    Maybe, I would presume that cops have some leeway in this considering the job they have. Anyways, a tiny % of police engagements result in death. For sure it is important to investigate every one but on the other hand, policing seems like an incredibly difficult and scary job.

My issue is with the extremely overblown narrative about cops killing blacks and systemic racism. To the latter point, I believe the data shows that white people are just as likely to be killed by police in the same situation (e.g. resisting arrest) than blacks.

Big Poppa Puck and Voight like this.
  11. hyduK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    The fact they have leeway that allows them to murder someone is the problem. Hence my long list of things wrong with the current corrupt police institution.

Small % may result in death. How many result in excessive use of force? Misuse of authority? Or really anything that doesn't amount to protecting and serving, which is their job.

I agree it's a difficult job. Which is why it's even more baffling how low the bar is for entry.

Beau Knows and Monk like this.
  12. daver Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Home Page:
    Seems reasonable. This view of things seems to be pushed aside though in name of "racial" justice which is more of my point. Lots of people jumping on the "virtual signalling" train in complete ignorance of what could/should be done to lower the chances of these police encounters in the first place.

Big Poppa Puck likes this.
  13. daver Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Home Page:
    Not an American but don't hold your breath waiting for substantial action to be taken if there is a new president. It, like most great societal changes, needs to come from the grassroots.

Voight likes this.
  14. hyduK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Yep, hence my long term comment.

Definitely needs to work it's way through the whole system. But the election is the most immediate chance for change available. Let's not act like Trump isn't having a negative impact.

Kenosha Suspect Kyle Rittenhouse Was Front Row At Trump Rally

(Also not american)

15. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Especially when the ticket they want is partly responsible for the mess we are in, one was an architect of the disasteous crime bill of the 90s, and the other has a horrid record as DA.

jasonleaffan, Voight and Stylizer1 like this.
  16. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    I care far more about what they're saying and doing now, on both sides of the fence.

17. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    And Biden has said nothing will fundamentally change and his plan increases funding for police. I'm all for going out and voting, but lets not kid ourselves that either side will be about meaningful change on this topic.

Voight and Cassano like this.
  18. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    These will prob be all deleted because, politics - but the bolded is not true. He's said "day 1" he would begin to address systemic racism. You're correct that he's not in favor of defunding the police, though.

19. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    That's what he literally told his donors. Politicians say they'll do a lot of things on day 1. Remember when Obama said he'd end the wars, and he ended up amping them up and militarizing the police? You think his VP is going to change that?

But, yes politics, we can leave it at this.

Voight likes this.
  20. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Biden unveiled a plan over a month ago, it wasn't just random talking. Will it happen? I'm going to vote for him and see.

What does Obama have to do with this? Classic.

21. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    I'll just say this, hopefully positive change does happen, I'm just pessimistic about both sides. I'm probably still bitter about some of the promises that Admin made and went the opposite direction in.

Voight and Cassano like this.
  22. Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Here we can agree. I'm just way less pessimistic about one of 'em :)

bleedblue1223 likes this.
  23. Smirnov2Chistov EEK!

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000

might be under a rock, but haven't heard about any of these displayed on the local news where I'm from.

24. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Breonna Taylor is the only other recent one in that list. The others are from multiple years back. Ahmaud Arbery is another one that I'd put in there that is recent, he was murdered by vigilantes.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  25. Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

SB Cash:
    $ 500,000
    Business Development
    Lol. Biden has been involved in politics for almost 50 years. Day one.....lol.