NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The NBA ratings are bad because the same teams win year after year and every time you tune in to watch teams are splashing three pointers down like it's nothing.

There is a SERIOUS flaw with the way the NBA is played and ratings will continue to suffer until the league addresses it's gigantic parity issue.
The NBA owners should really rein in Adam Silver and stop letting the players labor control the entire league. It has little to do with politics under his watch there has been so much open collusion by the players and disrespect of the paying customer that should not be tolerated by the owners.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The NBA owners should really rein in Adam Silver and stop letting the players labor control the entire league. It has little to do with politics under his watch there has been so much open collusion by the players and disrespect of the paying customer that should not be tolerated by the owners.

What? How so?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
In recent years player movement/free agency has started to effect the competitive integrity of the league.
I want to see Lebron play against Davis, Durant play against Irving, Westbrook against Harden,

If they draft a super team then so be it. Teams should be rewarded for drafting good players

They should make it were they designate a franchise player and no other player can make with 35 percent of them. Each team would be able to offer a max contract and fill out their roster with good players. This is hurting the league.

Sep 19, 2008
NBA on Verge of Losing Billions, Player Salaries Could Plummet: Report

But at the very least, the NBA might want to significantly rethink its strategy of engaging in hyper-partisan politics and alienating its fans.
Based on that aforementioned $5 billion figure, the NBA clearly needs to engage as many fans as humanly possible.
They have. They aren't going to drop the political ads on the floor anymore.

That being said, as I've said time and time again, the politics isn't the problem...

People are tired of watching the same teams win year after year while their team has no shot.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They have. They aren't going to drop the political ads on the floor anymore.

That being said, as I've said time and time again, the politics isn't the problem...

People are tired of watching the same teams win year after year while their team has no shot.
They are tired of LeBron.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I don't think politics and are the sole reason ratings are dropping (and those have been mentioned in this thread), but it's naive to think they haven't effected it at all.

IDC what players do on twitter, in their free time or even in postgame pressers with shirts and what not to use their platform to stand up for something, but we don't need Black Lives Matter plastered on the court and stupid slogans on jerseys (some even became memes "Vote 4 Millsap" "How Many More? #x") Calling anyone who doesn't want to see that a racist (that word gets thrown around way too loosely this days, but that's not a discussion for this thread) doesn't help matters either. Sports are supposed to be an escape from the real world. Also I don't think sitting out basketball (or any other sport) games in protest is gonna fix anything. The next time a cop is about to shoot someone or someone wants to be racist or whatever they're not gonna say "You know what if I do this there might not be basketball tonight!"

LeBron and those of his ilk are also hypocrites. You can't throw Morey under the bus for speaking out on a cause and then turn around and ask everyone to support yours.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I don't think politics and are the sole reason ratings are dropping (and those have been mentioned in this thread), but it's naive to think they haven't effected it at all.

IDC what players do on twitter, in their free time or even in postgame pressers with shirts and what not to use their platform to stand up for something, but we don't need Black Lives Matter plastered on the court and stupid slogans on jerseys (some even became memes "Vote 4 Millsap" "How Many More? #x") Calling anyone who doesn't want to see that a racist (that word gets thrown around way too loosely this days, but that's not a discussion for this thread) doesn't help matters either. Sports are supposed to be an escape from the real world. Also I don't think sitting out basketball (or any other sport) games in protest is gonna fix anything. The next time a cop is about to shoot someone or someone wants to be racist or whatever they're not gonna say "You know what if I do this there might not be basketball tonight!"

LeBron and those of his ilk are also hypocrites. You can't throw Morey under the bus for speaking out on a cause and then turn around and ask everyone to support yours.
I miss when sports wasn't political like in the 40s, but then they had to let Jackie Robinson play and it's all been downhill from there. But of course they had to get all political like and preachy

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I think the owners and Adam Silver are now realizing that giving the players everything they wanted was a mistake. So many talk shows and current and former players where talking about how the nba should move to a schedule where they would own the summer and end in September/October and now they are realizing that is a terrible idea.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Yake

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Politics and pro sports should not mix. The whole premise of pro sports is that people are willing to shell out enough cash to watch people play a sport to make it a viable profession. It is for entertainment purposes.

There is nothing about this relationship that should open the door to making political/social statements. There is an obvious alternative avenue in which to make those.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck
Sep 19, 2008
Politics and pro sports should not mix. The whole premise of pro sports is that people are willing to shell out enough cash to watch people play a sport to make it a viable profession. It is for entertainment purposes.

There is nothing about this relationship that should open the door to making political/social statements. There is an obvious alternative avenue in which to make those.
Sports and politics are linked heavily.

The fact that NBA kowtowed to China is very disturbing but NBA using their sport as a platform for social justice is good.

I'll never forget NHL reporters critiquing the NHL not taking a day off when the Bucks postponed their series due to protest. "We all know the reason why." :laugh: :naughty:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'll never forget NHL reporters critiquing the NHL not taking a day off when the Bucks postponed their series due to protest. "We all know the reason why." :laugh: :naughty:
Because they new it wouldn't do anything in the bigger scheme of things.

Now that its the off season what are these same professional athlete's doing about social change? They can dance around in front of the cameras all they want but now when the spot light isn't on what are they really doing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->