NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

Sep 19, 2008
"Free hong kong" to "China Sweatshops" with the finger roll at the buzzer, it's over, the Lakers win!
The hilarious thing about the NBA is they pride themselves on being "woke" and social awareness (this, eliminating the term owner) but don't you dare bring up China or else its most outspoken critics (Kerr, Popovich, LeBron) will clam up.

"Hey, vocal Kerr who speaks up on everything, what do you think about China and HK?"

"I don't know enough to comment."

You don't know enough, yet you comment on everything else. Or is it because China threatened to (and is still) boycott the NBA and that costs the league millions?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
The hilarious thing about the NBA is they pride themselves on being "woke" and social awareness (this, eliminating the term owner) but don't you dare bring up China or else its most outspoken critics (Kerr, Popovich, LeBron) will clam up.

"Hey, vocal Kerr who speaks up on everything, what do you think about China and HK?"

"I don't know enough to comment."

You don't know enough, yet you comment on everything else. Or is it because China threatened to (and is still) boycott the NBA and that costs the league millions?
Considering police killing black people have far more effect on lives of a lot NBA players vs. whats going on in China....

Sep 19, 2008
Considering police killing black people have far more effect on lives of a lot NBA players vs. whats going on in China....

I didn't diminish what's going on right now I'm just telling you that the NBA sold out to China to maintain their corporate image, yet continually tries to advertise themselves as this "woke" progressive league. It's hypocrisy at it's finest.

If you're this woke aware league for social justice then address that issue too. Instead the league's figures shy away or punt the issue. :laugh:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I didn't diminish what's going on right now I'm just telling you that the NBA sold out to China to maintain their corporate image, yet continually tries to advertise themselves as this "woke" progressive league. It's hypocrisy at it's finest.

If you're this woke aware league for social justice then address that issue too. Instead the league's figures shy away or punt the issue. :laugh:
its kind of ridiculous to expect anyone to ever speak out against any injustice to be informed and also advocate for every other forms on injustices in the world. Surely its reasonable to focus on issues thats plaguing your own community first?

And whats going on in China needs to be addressed by the Chinese people themselves.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Whatever makes them happy I guess. The real question is will people be buying these jerseys? I get the feeling the answer will be no, but then again that's the NBAs decision to make.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Who determines what's okay?

For players who would rather raise awareness with their jerseys for causes or charities not connected to social injustice, police brutality or other racial issues, Paul said that will be accepted as well.

Could a devout Christian player use this in a way to promote same sex marriage?

Can a player have free China on their jersey?

Can a black person have "reparations" on their back?

I think this is really getting carried away.

Are they trying to allow everybody the freedom of speech or just the messages they deem worthy?

I'm all for the movement against police brutality and systemic racism but what I have yet to hear is someone actually demanding something specific from the state.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
"All Lives Matter" is nothing but a subtle racist counter-response for white people that feel entitled and left out against BLM. They just don't get the point. And never will.
Agreed, I’d be interested to see what the reaction would be. I imagine there would be substantial outrage.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
its kind of ridiculous to expect anyone to ever speak out against any injustice to be informed and also advocate for every other forms on injustices in the world. Surely its reasonable to focus on issues thats plaguing your own community first?

And whats going on in China needs to be addressed by the Chinese people themselves.

If LeBron wants to say he's "More than an athlete" then he should speak out against the CCP. You don't need to have a degree in Chinese history to know the kind of atrocities Xi and his pals have committed / China as a whole since Mao took power. LeBron is full of crap and only speaks out when it benefits him or there are no repercussions. If he was true to his word, then he'd speak out about China and take a hit financially - if any player can lose millions in endorsements, its him. The killing of innocent men in the US is awful and needs to stop, but a lot more innocent people are killed every day in China. Maybe LBJ should google the word "uyghurs"

You say that as if the Chinese people have that ability. Last time they tried that hundreds of them were killed and tanks pulled up on them.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If LeBron wants to say he's "More than an athlete" then he should speak out against the CCP. You don't need to have a degree in Chinese history to know the kind of atrocities Xi and his pals have committed / China as a whole since Mao took power. LeBron is full of crap and only speaks out when it benefits him or there are no repercussions. If he was true to his word, then he'd speak out about China and take a hit financially - if any player can lose millions in endorsements, its him. The killing of innocent men in the US is awful and needs to stop, but a lot more innocent people are killed every day in China. Maybe LBJ should google the word "uyghurs"

You say that as if the Chinese people have that ability. Last time they tried that hundreds of them were killed and tanks pulled up on them.
Everyone should speak out agains CCP, but they aren't the ones going around killing black citizens in America are they?

Bringing up CCP is nothing but a distraction tactic from the issue thats plaguing THIS country and CITIZENS of this COUNTRY want THEIR GOVERNMENT to treat them fairly.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Everyone should speak out agains CCP, but they aren't the ones going around killing black citizens in America are they?

Bringing up CCP is nothing but a distraction tactic from the issue thats plaguing THIS country and CITIZENS of this COUNTRY want THEIR GOVERNMENT to treat them fairly.

What the CCP does is about a zillion times worse than anything the cops do in the US.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Not when you’re a multi-billion dollar corporation.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So people like Lebron should completely ignore the fact that their kids could be killed by the police and protest CCP instead.

Makes sense.

Thats not what I said is it? ....

He should use the global platform he has to talk about issues everywhere. Not pick and choose and when its convenient for his bank account.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Thats not what I said is it? ....

He should use the global platform he has to talk about issues everywhere. Not pick and choose and when its convenient for his bank account.
You don't get why he would prioritize something that would affect HIM and HIS COMMUNITY first?

Oh my god.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad