NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

Sep 19, 2008
NBA ratings have been down since the beginning of the 19-20 season

streaming has a lot to do with that
NBA TV Ratings Down 15% as League Pushes Streaming Access – Media Play News
They declined before that because teams were tired of seeing GSW win 5 straight Western Conference Finals. Also, before the Raptors ended the streak, GS and CLE met in the finals for 4 consecutive years. That is about as boring and predictable as one can get. Now, given it was pretty easy to predict the Lakers would be in the Finals this year at the beginning of the season, but it was supposed to be Milwaukee on the other end, not Miami. I don't think many people saw Miami winning the East. That is good, in retrospect, to help promote parity (and of course Miami being only the 4th team in NBA history to be seeded 5 or below and show up in a Final)

NBA ratings have been skyrocketing downwards for many years. Three point shooting and lack of defense aren't exactly must see TV. Combine that with a woke agenda and competition in terms of MLB and NFL, and NBA ratings are a disaster this year as they should be. They will NOT get better until the NBA changes the way they play the game. They would have to overhaul the game completely and teams would have to stop shooting so many DAMN threes per game. Teams like the Kings and Wizards would actually have to be given fair opportunities to contend for a championship, and there'd be no superteams or blatant collusion. It is VERY sad that a superteam is the only way teams can win titles now.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They declined before that because teams were tired of seeing GSW win 5 straight Western Conference Finals. Also, before the Raptors ended the streak, GS and CLE met in the finals for 4 consecutive years. That is about as boring and predictable as one can get. Now, given it was pretty easy to predict the Lakers would be in the Finals this year at the beginning of the season, but it was supposed to be Milwaukee on the other end, not Miami. I don't think many people saw Miami winning the East. That is good, in retrospect, to help promote parity (and of course Miami being only the 4th team in NBA history to be seeded 5 or below and show up in a Final)

NBA ratings have been skyrocketing downwards for many years. Three point shooting and lack of defense aren't exactly must see TV. Combine that with a woke agenda and competition in terms of MLB and NFL, and NBA ratings are a disaster this year as they should be. They will NOT get better until the NBA changes the way they play the game. They would have to overhaul the game completely and teams would have to stop shooting so many DAMN threes per game. Teams like the Kings and Wizards would actually have to be given fair opportunities to contend for a championship, and there'd be no superteams or blatant collusion. It is VERY sad that a superteam is the only way teams can win titles now.
People don't buy LeBrons greatness.

Average fans don't want to see teams be champs overnight

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Cuban had some interesting comments with Megyn Kelly. Admitted that China is a human rights violator, but he's ok doing business with them and that they have to pick their battles.

The bigger thing here isn't even the NBA, it's all the jobs of companies that Cuban and others are involved with that get sent from America to China.

Reactions: John Price

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
did anyone actually think the messages on jerseys/on the court were going to be permanent?

if it were actually about the message instead of jumping on the trend, wouldn't they keep them in place until change is seen instead of dumping them when their bottom line takes the hit? wouldnt that be the definition of putting your money where your mouth is?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if it were actually about the message instead of jumping on the trend, wouldn't they keep them in place until change is seen instead of dumping them when their bottom line takes the hit? wouldnt that be the definition of putting your money where your mouth is?
it was obviously a response to what happened with george floyd and the ensuing protests/riots. it wasn't ever going to be permanent

also, NBA ratings have not fallen because of political reasons. that is just pure bullshit the right loves to spew

Sep 19, 2008
The NBA ratings are bad because the same teams win year after year and every time you tune in to watch teams are splashing three pointers down like it's nothing.

There is a SERIOUS flaw with the way the NBA is played and ratings will continue to suffer until the league addresses it's gigantic parity issue.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
NFL took a hit after the whole Kaepernick thing way back when. They blacklisted him because he was a threat to ratings tbh. Don't pretend that it doesn't play a factor...it clearly has.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
That was attributed to general decline in tv ratings and cord cutting, not Kaepernick.
NFL viewership down and study suggests it’s over protests

and waiting to hear how that number/poll doesn't matter, even though they use similar data techniques for pretty much everything

and for the record a recent poll was done by the NBA and IIRC it was aroudn 30% saying they weren't watching because of politicization, as well

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
NFL took a hit after the whole Kaepernick thing way back when. They blacklisted him because he was a threat to ratings tbh. Don't pretend that it doesn't play a factor...it clearly has.
ratings for the MLB playoffs, NFL, NHL playoffs, and SCF were all down as well. were those ratings down because of politics too? also, let's not forget NBA ratings had already been down last fall

the people claiming that they're not watching anymore were never watching in the first place

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
NFL viewership down and study suggests it’s over protests

and waiting to hear how that number/poll doesn't matter, even though they use similar data techniques for pretty much everything

and for the record a recent poll was done by the NBA and IIRC it was aroudn 30% saying they weren't watching because of politicization, as well
You just gotta laugh at those people who think the politicization of sports hasn't contributed to the decline in viewership.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You just gotta laugh at those people who think the politicization of sports hasn't contributed to the decline in viewership.
then explain why NBA ratings have been down since last fall. explain how every major pro NA sport has experienced a decline in ratings

also, i find it funny how your profile says "politics and sports do not mix." of course, that means "politics i don't agree with and sports do not mix"

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

The NBA and its players have already literally put their money where their mouths are in terms of actual issues. You can simply say that you disagree with what they are saying without trying to make them seem like hypocrites in your own arbitrary parameters.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
the people claiming that they're not watching anymore were never watching in the first place
pretty sure that's not true and you're just pulling stuff out you know where, as far as I know they polled people who signed up/were affiliated with nba content in one way or another. I can really pull up the source if you need, but I have no reason to lie. Search for the report for yourself and show me I'm wrong

I am not even saying what's right or wrong, I just like objectivity

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
pretty sure that's not true and you're just pulling stuff out you know where, as far as I know they polled people who signed up/were affiliated with nba content in one way or another. I can really pull up the source if you need, but I have no reason to lie. Search for the report for yourself and show me I'm wrong

I am not even saying what's right or wrong, I just like objectivity
then why have NBA viewer demographics remained virtually identical to last season?

if politics were responsible for the dip in ratings, then you'd have a notable change in viewer demographics. there are a number of reasons for the drop in NBA ratings (which started long ago,) and politics is not one of them

every pro sport has seen a drop in ratings since they restarted. don't know about you, but i think being in a global pandemic might be playing a big role

Last edited:

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
then explain why NBA ratings have been down since last fall. explain how every major pro NA sport has experienced a decline in ratings

also, i find it funny how your profile says "politics and sports do not mix." of course, that means "politics i don't agree with and sports do not mix"
Yes, you're one of those people. :laugh:

Get woke, go broke. You hate to see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad