NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Politics and pro sports should not mix. The whole premise of pro sports is that people are willing to shell out enough cash to watch people play a sport to make it a viable profession. It is for entertainment purposes.

There is nothing about this relationship that should open the door to making political/social statements. There is an obvious alternative avenue in which to make those.
It shouldn't mix but they do unfortunately. As much as I would love to say "leave politics out of this", it's kind of ridiculous for a sport such as basketball played at the most highest level in the most popular league in the world to completely dismiss what's going outside in the 'real world', especially since the sport is predominantly the colour of the oppressed. Sports are a getaway for many I get that.

In a way, there is a positive side for the mix. I believe the NBA played a role in the election of Joe Biden, especially Stephen Curry who openly endorsed Biden for President. I believe he helped play a part in him capturing California (which has the most electoral seats). The faces of the league are very well-known and they can use their gigantic platform to help make change. In such a popular league, this sways many people to make change.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Sports and politics are linked heavily.

The fact that NBA kowtowed to China is very disturbing but NBA using their sport as a platform for social justice is good.

I'll never forget NHL reporters critiquing the NHL not taking a day off when the Bucks postponed their series due to protest. "We all know the reason why." :laugh: :naughty:

Social justice is a political movement, or it has become one. That you agree with their message doesn't change this.

Your disagreement with the NBA's position to treat their business interests in China as a higher priority than human rights issues is also irrelevant.

This is the point. If you don't like the NBA's position on China then stop watching if you think that social justice is so important that the NBA should be using their platform to support it. Anything less than that and you are at risk of being labeled a virtue signaler which is the main complaint about the NBA mixing in politics and specifically social justice; it is simply pandering to progressives.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
It shouldn't mix but they do unfortunately. As much as I would love to say "leave politics out of this", it's kind of ridiculous for a sport such as basketball played at the most highest level in the most popular league in the world to completely dismiss what's going outside in the 'real world', especially since the sport is predominantly the colour of the oppressed. Sports are a getaway for many I get that.

In a way, there is a positive side for the mix. I believe the NBA played a role in the election of Joe Biden, especially Stephen Curry who openly endorsed Biden for President. I believe he helped play a part in him capturing California (which has the most electoral seats). The faces of the league are very well-known and they can use their gigantic platform to help make change. In such a popular league, this sways many people to make change.
lolwut

CA hasn't gone red in a presidential election since 1988. there was never any doubt biden would win CA

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from espn.com:

In an unprecedented meeting, a delegation of five NBA players and several officials from the National Basketball Players Association met with Pope Francis at the Vatican on Monday morning for a private audience to discuss their work on social justice issues.

An assistant to Pope Francis reached out to the players' association last week indicating the Pope wanted to learn more about how players had recently brought attention to pressing social justice issues and economic inequality -- and what they planned for the future, union officials told ESPN. The union agreed and quickly scheduled an overnight flight Sunday to make their private meeting with the pope, which happened at 11:45 a.m. local time Monday morning at the Vatican. With training camp set to open on Dec. 1, players and union officials had to squeeze the trip in now.

The delegation included Kyle Korver and Sterling Brown; Jonathan Isaac of the Orlando Magic; Anthony Toliver, the union's secretary-treasurer; Marco Belinelli; and Michelle Roberts, executive director of the players union.

The meeting lasted about an hour at the papal library of the Apostolic Palace, after which the players and union officials toured St. Peter's Square.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad