OT: NBA 2019-2020

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Wait, what? How did they get worse?

It's the exact same team except RJ and Mitch will hopefully have gotten better and they added Toppin who should be able to play right away and a lot of people are already picking him as a fav for ROY.

Rivers and Burks are solid but unspectacular additions that will bring much-needed shooting and Thibodeau is probably the best coach the knicks have brought in since Van Gundy.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
The plan was clearly to be prudent this off-season and maintain cap flexibility for a stronger FA class in 2021 and amass draft stock in what is expected to be the deepest draft of the last 10+ years.

Again, what did you want them to do? Huge contracts to Hayward and Van Vleet?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The plan was clearly to be prudent this off-season and maintain cap flexibility for a stronger FA class in 2021 and amass draft stock in what is expected to be the deepest draft of the last 10+ years.

Again, what did you want them to do? Huge contracts to Hayward and Van Vleet?

This is what kills me. The Knicks are for maybe the first time in history showing some discipline in player acquisitions, and everyone is saying they need to get Westbrook or other older guys and spend crazy money.

Just develop your own players and increase their value. I'm sure when the Nets went out and got Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddie they should have shelled out big bucks and got veterans.

Just find a few pieces from the scrap heap, and either deal them at high value or keep them as good role players. If you want your team to hold value in the eyes of players, don't spend out of your ass and build something. Free agents will be lining up if you begin doing this.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Was out all day work than golf and dinner and so totally out of the loop with everything whether it news headlines or sports. What did you see about Toppin that looks so positive?
He seemed aggressive on the boards and is very athletic. He needs to shore up his defense though. Not ready for the highlight reels yet but him and Robinson on the court at the same time will scoop up a lot of rebounds. But I'm not getting my hopes up. This is the first preseason game and the Knicks haven't played in 9 months.

Reactions: Maximus

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Toppin looked good. They talked about it on the broadcast, but there were some funny mistakes. He tried a few fancy cross court passes that are never gonna work in the NBA. It’s a learning process.

Others have said it, but he looks like a young Amare Soudemire. The way he moves on the court and his stature (though he’s shorter).

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I like what I'm reading from you guys @East Coast Bias and @sbjnyc about Toppin.

If he's Amare Stoudamire lite and can perform even close to what a healthy Amare used to perform at, that would make him the best player on the Knicks already by far. I'm getting good vibes from him. I'd love to see the other pick of ours Quickley make an impact as well this season.

I must say Thibodeau coaching the team and some of the young talent on the roster, I'm actually kind of excited a bit for the Knicks season which might be the first time I've been excited about the Knicks since Jeremy Lin was here.

We shalt see soon enough as incredibly NBA is already back even tho it seems the season just ended last week...lol

Last edited:

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
so who's the next free agent the knicks will clear cap space for?
Who ever it is he is either past his prime, was recently hurt, went to Kentucky or won’t get paid by anyone else. Knicks are the last stop for players on their way out of the league. See Gilchrist, Michael as a good example.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Are we going to see Quickley play? Or has he played and he just wasn't on the highlight packages I've seen of the first two pre season games?

Deleted member 23124

Are we going to see Quickley play? Or has he played and he just wasn't on the highlight packages I've seen of the first two pre season games?
He was in the second game: nine minutes and was 1-for-3 from the field, missing his only 3-point shot (according to the NY Post).

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
He was in the second game: nine minutes and was 1-for-3 from the field, missing his only 3-point shot (according to the NY Post).

I asked a few games ago where was Quickley...yes? Well he's shown up in a big way. He played great the other night vs in that comeback win vs the Cavs and tonight he's pulling off a nice Jeremy Lin impression as he's been unstoppable as the Knicks are up by 42 as we speak.

If Quickley ends up being the real deal and the Knicks have a point guard, the Knicks might actually be pretty damn competitive this year. They look really good tonight.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Yeah it's just pre season but I can't recall the last time the Knicks were even impressive in the pre season. All the kids have been doing well so far. I dunno maybe I'm a fool but I'm actually kind of looking forward to seeing how the Knicks do this year.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad