OT: NBA 2019-2020

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Pretty sure the plan is for Mitch to start at Center this year. The question is who the hell is playing point guard.

Thinkin' they'll probably bring back Taj as he was well-liked and is an OG Thibs guy.

Austin Rivers.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I like the Austin Rivers deal. It's cheap and he's a guy that has always seemed like he could do a little more in an increased role. In his one season where he got starter type minutes, he put up 15 and 4 assists per game. Even if he doesn't get those minutes, he's a solid bench guy that is a good shooter and can play multiple positions.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
OK so my fellow friends in here who follow the hoops scene alot more and know these players alot better than I do, give me a grade from 1-10 with 10 being the best, for the Knicks offseason thus far?

Obviously they didn't sign any of the big FA's or make a big splash trades which from what some experts I've read, is a good thing. Have no real feel as to how good these secondary pieces they have signed in FA are seeing I simply don't watch enough basketball to comment there.

But the picks of Toppin and Quickley from what I've read and heard from people who know a hell of alot more basketball than I do, apparently like these picks for the Knicks.

So where do the Knicks stand? I know we aren't a playoff worthy team obviously but are we better than last years version? Can this team "on paper" win 30+ games and provide some hope that better days are ahead?

Or are we still in major suckage and winning even 20 is going to be a struggle again?

Sounds like a 6.5-7 grade out of 10 sounds right....no?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
OK so my fellow friends in here who follow the hoops scene alot more and know these players alot better than I do, give me a grade from 1-10 with 10 being the best, for the Knicks offseason thus far?

Obviously they didn't sign any of the big FA's or make a big splash trades which from what some experts I've read, is a good thing. Have no real feel as to how good these secondary pieces they have signed in FA are seeing I simply don't watch enough basketball to comment there.

But the picks of Toppin and Quickley from what I've read and heard from people who know a hell of alot more basketball than I do, apparently like these picks for the Knicks.

So where do the Knicks stand? I know we aren't a playoff worthy team obviously but are we better than last years version? Can this team "on paper" win 30+ games and provide some hope that better days are ahead?

Or are we still in major suckage and winning even 20 is going to be a struggle again?

Sounds like a 6.5-7 grade out of 10 sounds right....no?

It was a good offseason for me. But I'm pro rebuild. I didn't want to patch holds to aim for the 8 seed.

This team isn't winning 30+ games, no. But that's ok.

This wasn't a transformational draft or FA class.

They didn't sign any bad deals. None of the deals go beyond a year. They'll have the cap flexibility next year.

They have their own 1st, Dallas' 1st, Charlotte and Detroit's 2nds next year.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
It was a good offseason for me. But I'm pro rebuild. I didn't want to patch holds to aim for the 8 seed.

This team isn't winning 30+ games, no. But that's ok.

This wasn't a transformational draft or FA class.

They didn't sign any bad deals. None of the deals go beyond a year. They'll have the cap flexibility next year.

They have their own 1st, Dallas' 1st, Charlotte and Detroit's 2nds next year.

Sounds good. So it sounds like you would be "no Westbrook" trade as tempting as that might be?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Sounds good. So it sounds like you would be "no Westbrook" trade as tempting as that might be?

I would not trade for him under any circumstance. He's 32 with knee problems, with 3 more years at $41m a season on his deal.

Even if he stayed totally healthy - we know what a team run by him's peak is. In the East the way it looks now? a 1st round exit.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Knicks out here collecting 2nd rounders like the Rangers collect 7th rounders.

it’s in the “double draft” too, where high schooler players will be eligible again.

The Knicks G league team will be nice in a few years!

Reactions: Maximus

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
I'll go with a 6.5, maybe even a 7 but I'm also not sure they're done yet.

As many pundits have pointed out, next year's FA class is significantly better than this one's was. I don't really see what options were out there to make the Knicks' off-season grade that much higher, unless they were somehow able to swing Randle for a young PG (still kinda hoping for a Randle for Lonzo Ball trade...)

I guess for the people who wanted them to build a competitive team this off-season, the move would have been to sign FVV and Hayward, and while I like both those players, I'm not sure a team centered around those two players even makes the ECF. And we'd be cash-strapped for next seasons FAs.

Instead, they got rid of some useless older vets, majorly stocked up on draft capital, and will, yes, be basically tanking for one more year -- going into a draft that has what looks like 2 legit superstars at the top, not to mention high schoolers! RJ, Obi-1 and Mitch should get massive minutes this year so we'll know what those players are all about. I also like Spellman's potential. Not to mention they still have significant cap space and I believe will continue to be active up to and through the season. The Austin Rivers deal is crazy team-friendly too.

And honestly, overall, I'm just happy it seems like the team finally has a competent FO. That's the biggest off-season improvement if you ask me.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Not getting the hate on their free agency additions. You think a lot of veterans are going to want to come to the Knicks? They all know it's a one and done situation for the most part. Youth will eventually take their spots. No budding star player to play with. Sure, that could lead to some opportunities, but there are a lot of guys looking to win a championship or be severely overpaid.

If they can manage to flip Randle into something from a desperate team, it could be a big win for them. Lots of youth added to the roster and on top of it, these guys can actually shoot the ball. That was the strangest thing about the team last year. The ability to shoot was not there.

If the Nets can strip their team down to nothing and rebuild it up to the point where guys like Durant and Kyrie want to sign with them, the Knicks going with the slow burn for the long term play is the way to go. All the extra picks help with this too

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
So gentleman, sounds like the average grade is around a 6-7 kind of where I thought it was when I inquired what y'all thought.

I'm OK if we suck again so long as the kids Barrett, Mitch, Obi One Kenobi, Quickly, Knox...etc develop and can form some chemistry. It seems like we finally have a competent front office which is a huge difference. Thibidou has had some success before and so maybe we even have a good coach again for the first time since Jeff Van Gundy.

With all this draft capital plus oodles of money, maybe we can finally get some love again from the hoops gods(it worked with the Rangers) and stumble into a #1 lottery finish next year and pick that kid Cunningham from Oklahoma State who I've read is the next coming of Jesus or Magic Johnson...lol

I just want to see the Garden rocking again cause it's been too long. Last time the Garden rock n rolled was when Jeremy Lin was in town and Linsanity took over NYC for those magical 5 weeks 8 very very long years ago!

Reactions: ponzu4u

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
why? What would you have done differently?
I don't understand the complaints, nor do I get why anyone would want any parts of these terrible contracts that have been given out in free agency. There were never going to be any quick fixes for this offseason, and they still have the flexibility to take on contracts from other teams with assets attached. I like the idea I saw from someone on reddit to try to incentivize the Nuggets to attach Monte Morris in a deal.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don't understand the complaints, nor do I get why anyone would want any parts of these terrible contracts that have been given out in free agency. There were never going to be any quick fixes for this offseason, and they still have the flexibility to take on contracts from other teams with assets attached. I like the idea I saw from someone on reddit to try to incentivize the Nuggets to attach Monte Morris in a deal.

Knicks just need a little Gorton luck in next year's lottery.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think if they come out with the #1 or #2 pick it would be a huge boon for them. Obviously #1 would be preferred but #2 would help the long term Outlook of this team as well.
Cade Cunningham would be a ridiculous grab for the core the Knicks are building, and Brandon Boston is also a freak of nature. Knicks seriously need to come away with one of those two kids after this season is up.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
The way things are looking, the Knicks have the inside track on any Kentucky alumni and CAA clients. I am not sure the perception of the Knicks has changed much otherwise yet.

Keep your powder dry and take some futures to take short term cap space or facilitate a trade.

I just wish we could get rid of Randle. I do not like watching him pound the ball only to turn it over.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not getting the hate on their free agency additions. You think a lot of veterans are going to want to come to the Knicks? They all know it's a one and done situation for the most part. Youth will eventually take their spots. No budding star player to play with. Sure, that could lead to some opportunities, but there are a lot of guys looking to win a championship or be severely overpaid.

If they can manage to flip Randle into something from a desperate team, it could be a big win for them. Lots of youth added to the roster and on top of it, these guys can actually shoot the ball. That was the strangest thing about the team last year. The ability to shoot was not there.

If the Nets can strip their team down to nothing and rebuild it up to the point where guys like Durant and Kyrie want to sign with them, the Knicks going with the slow burn for the long term play is the way to go. All the extra picks help with this too

The way things are looking, the Knicks have the inside track on any Kentucky alumni and CAA clients. I am not sure the perception of the Knicks has changed much otherwise yet.

Keep your powder dry and take some futures to take short term cap space or facilitate a trade.

I just wish we could get rid of Randle
. I do not like watching him pound the ball only to turn it over.

Golden State is the match here.
Totally effed up the wazu w/Klay Thompson getting hurt.
They have penalty issues with cap hit.

Something around Randle/small + for KT and #2OA Wiseman
Warriors then get cap room flexibility to do something while in win now mode.
Depending on what ask is for Westbrook, let GS do Westbrook at 3 yrs to replace KT's 5.

Knicks roll w/solid pivots Wiseman/Robinson/Noel
and add from there.
KT takes year off to heal.
Odds are he will not be the same player he was, and if he pushes himself too hard, he can risk further, possibly even more extensive injury.

However, depending on what relief we do/do not extend GS in terms of if Warriors are eating any portion of his contract [forgot, but I think NBA allows that to some extent], after year off we either have KT at full pop or discounted.
Either way he will be overpriced, but he can still be productive.
If we close the talent gap in 2-3 years, we can buy him out of last 1-2 years on his deal.

that's the ticket!

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Golden State is the match here.
Totally effed up the wazu w/Klay Thompson getting hurt.
They have penalty issues with cap hit.

Something around Randle/small + for KT and #2OA Wiseman
Warriors then get cap room flexibility to do something while in win now mode.
Depending on what ask is for Westbrook, let GS do Westbrook at 3 yrs to replace KT's 5.

Knicks roll w/solid pivots Wiseman/Robinson/Noel
and add from there.
KT takes year off to heal.
Odds are he will not be the same player he was, and if he pushes himself too hard, he can risk further, possibly even more extensive injury.

However, depending on what relief we do/do not extend GS in terms of if Warriors are eating any portion of his contract [forgot, but I think NBA allows that to some extent], after year off we either have KT at full pop or discounted.
Either way he will be overpriced, but he can still be productive.
If we close the talent gap in 2-3 years, we can buy him out of last 1-2 years on his deal.

that's the ticket!
Warriors arent trading Wiseman and Thompson for Randle and a small add.That offer isnt even in the ballpark of what it would take.Warriors wont be stupid playing to win now.They will gladly tank and aquire another top 3 pick.

Reactions: ponzu4u

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Warriors arent trading Wiseman and Thompson for Randle and a small add.That offer isnt even in the ballpark of what it would take.Warriors wont be stupid playing to win now.They will gladly tank and aquire another top 3 pick.

I could see that...
Howev, before KT was released it was reported something around Wiseman (2OA actually) for Robinson + 8OA was being offered.

It was said Warriors wanted to max its window for Curry and co.

So I think they look at all their options now, both go for it and (re)build via draft.

One key here is what is the price for Westbrook?

If he is being let go for just cap dump and maybe a pick/player, that is something SF can swing, esp if we have taken on KT's $ and given them Randle, who they could then package in return.
Replacing KT's 5 yrs incl next year = useless w/Westy's 3 financially and developmentally makes sense.

On the other hand, if price for Westy is signif, or there are not especially good alternative options, then what you are saying may be best option for SF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->