OT: NBA 2019-2020

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Per NBA trade tracker....
Leandro Bolmaro, who was selected with the 23rd pick, reportedly will head to Minnesota.
Immanuel Quickley, who was selected with the 25th pick, will go to New York.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Quickley will be a better pro than college player because he was injured and his skillset translates well to the modern NBA. Whereas theres a lot of really good 3pt shooters to be had there, none of them can shoot the 3 AND the ball from all over like this kid can.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

mrmovies779

Feb 5, 2013
Should have taken the better pg with size in Haliburton at 8.Doesn't make sense.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Like what they got with 25 and 33, especially somehow getting those picks for ultimately 27 and 38.

I would have picked Haliburton or Deni at 8, but at least they didn’t trade up for Obi.

never mind they traded 33 for nothing lol.

Reactions: ponzu4u

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Weird that most posters don't like the Obi pick. Most places I had looked at had him mocked 4-6. CBS sports graded it an A+ pick. Both guys doing the live analysis on the Athletic liked the pick, had him ranked right at 8 and both would have chosen him at that spot. One had him or Haliburton. Again every mock draft I saw had him going higher than 8. I just don't get the disconnect.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
nah, he got traded for 25 and 33.

OK I'll take your word for it. As you said, trades in the NBA don't seem to get announced to quickly like in the NHL and NFL drafts.

All in all the NBA draft is like the Wild West compared to hockey and football...so many moving parts it's really hard to keep up with.

mrmovies779

Feb 5, 2013
Weird that most posters don't like the Obi pick. Most places I had looked at had him mocked 4-6. CBS sports graded it an A+ pick. Both guys doing the live analysis on the Athletic liked the pick, had him ranked right at 8 and both would have chosen him at that spot. One had him or Haliburton. Again every mock draft I saw had him going higher than 8. I just don't get the disconnect.
The problem is finding minutes for him with Randle here.Not to mention hes a terrible defensive player whos an average at best rebounder.Knicks passing on Haliburton leads me to believe Dolan is going to want Rose to gut half the team for Westbrook now.Same old Knicks,they'll never learn.

Reactions: ponzu4u

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Most of the expert grades aren’t good for the Knicks fwiw.

Similar criticism as here. Why Toppin over Halliburton. Why Quickley over Hampton, Flyyn or Terry.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
While there are limitations to his game, I like Obi at 8. Halliburton might turn into S Curry 2, but that is not a given. Seems we traded the 33OA going back into 2nd round for a future 2023 DET 2nd [via LA Clippers].

We now need to max our opportunity.
GS in win now and had 2OA = Wiseman available.
Upon reflection, worth it to keep 8OA and Robinson.
However, Warriors may be effed in that (if I am not mistaken):
- Klay Thompson has suffered a serious injury
- this is cumulative to prior injury
- he will not be ready even in substandard condition for season opener
- he will likely best be served with long term recovery
- it is unclear if balance of 5 years remaining on contract he can push himself
- hence he may never be the same player at same level
- he is 30-ish and like approx 10th most expensive guy 35m-ish this yr

So given this, the right deal could net Wiseman as all/most compensation to take on KT.

Knicks should do this. Have deep enough pockets. Would not advise going down failed path just to use excess cap on an over the hill fading star. But if we get a solid C 2OA value = worth it.

Ballpark rounded annual CAP HIT $ in millions x term in yrs per spotrac.com:

Thompson = 1 guy = 38

Randle = 20 x 3
Gibson 10 x 2
Smith 4 x 4
Portis 15 x 1
total = 49

we retain max on Portis 1 yr only to close the gap

our new core is young and emerging, solid at pivot
Wiseman + Robinson
possible Robinson part time to PF
Obi at PF/SF
Barrett at SF
Knox at SF
Quickley at G

Thompson SF -- injured out

Nilitikina PG on the bubble for now

Harkless SF
Ellington SG
Payton PG
Bullock SG
Dotson SG
Brazdeikis SF
Pinson SG
we're not married to these guys

While not ideal, GSW get scorers who fit = depth. Other than walking away from an immediate solution to long term C needs, this is win for them.

Knicks take a partial step backwards, but immediately help to build and still have space, assets to add going forward.

Remind me another time to tell you guys my Dave DeBusschere story. Spirit of DeB lives on!!!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Have you guys not reached apathy yet? I was watching yesterday and had a hard time mustering any emotion. But I haven't really followed the Knicks in years.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Have you guys not reached apathy yet? I was watching yesterday and had a hard time mustering any emotion. But I haven't really followed the Knicks in years.

My feeling is that if I'm going to be a fan, I have to give the new group a chance. Meaning if my gut reaction to everything is going to be "the knicks suck, they can never do anything right" - what's the point in paying attention?

So while my amateur gut wasn't to pick the way they did, if I'm staying in on the fandom I atleast have to give them the chance to prove me right or wrong.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Toppin is definitely older than normal for lottery picks, but is a lot like others that have seen jumps in their performance. He grew and grew a lot. 6'2 as a junior in HS, then 6'5 as a senior. Now, he is 6'9. So there is an adjustment period when you grow so much in a little bit of time. Last season was probably the first time he didn't grow during and inbetween seasons.

As for the Knicks having 5000 PFs and they took him over a PG, they really aren't committed to those PFs outside of Randle, and he has 2 years left. Portis is not going to be back on his team option. Gibson could be cut, but his usage last season seems to be more of the veteran presence and not eating a bunch of minutes. There is also only one center currently on the roster, which is Robinson, so unless they are adding a C somewhere, they still need some front court minutes. Knox could play PF if they go smaller.

They clearly went BPA on their board, and not based on need. Either they are moving DSJ or Frank out in a trade to change up the PG position, or they are just going to roll with them and see how it goes under Thibs. DSJ will be 23 at the beginning of the season and Frank will be 22. If they are on the roster, they are still young and have potential. Maybe not stud potential, but they can still become effective PGs in the NBA.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My feeling is that if I'm going to be a fan, I have to give the new group a chance. Meaning if my gut reaction to everything is going to be "the knicks suck, they can never do anything right" - what's the point in paying attention?

So while my amateur gut wasn't to pick the way they did, if I'm staying in on the fandom I atleast have to give them the chance to prove me right or wrong.

To be fair, the Knicks were always a distant 3rd for me after the Rangers and Giants and now I can't even really call myself a Knicks fan. I'll be happy and maybe even watch if/when they become good again but I'm not a real fan that sticks by them through thick and thin. I'm also very much turned off by the NBA becoming a 3 point contest that has players basically build their own super teams. I don't know how people can be behind a league where a top player forces not only his own trades but those of his friends who are also top players.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
While there are limitations to his game, I like Obi at 8. Halliburton might turn into S Curry 2, but that is not a given. Seems we traded the 33OA going back into 2nd round for a future 2023 DET 2nd [via LA Clippers].

We now need to max our opportunity.
GS in win now and had 2OA = Wiseman available.
Upon reflection, worth it to keep 8OA and Robinson.
However, Warriors may be effed in that (if I am not mistaken):
- Klay Thompson has suffered a serious injury
- this is cumulative to prior injury
- he will not be ready even in substandard condition for season opener
- he will likely best be served with long term recovery
- it is unclear if balance of 5 years remaining on contract he can push himself
- hence he may never be the same player at same level
- he is 30-ish and like approx 10th most expensive guy 35m-ish this yr

So given this, the right deal could net Wiseman as all/most compensation to take on KT.

Knicks should do this. Have deep enough pockets. Would not advise going down failed path just to use excess cap on an over the hill fading star. But if we get a solid C 2OA value = worth it.

Ballpark rounded annual CAP HIT $ in millions x term in yrs per spotrac.com:

Thompson = 1 guy = 38

Randle = 20 x 3
Gibson 10 x 2
Smith 4 x 4
Portis 15 x 1
total = 49

we retain max on Portis 1 yr only to close the gap

our new core is young and emerging, solid at pivot
Wiseman + Robinson
possible Robinson part time to PF
Obi at PF/SF
Barrett at SF
Knox at SF
Quickley at G

Thompson SF -- injured out

Nilitikina PG on the bubble for now

Harkless SF
Ellington SG
Payton PG
Bullock SG
Dotson SG
Brazdeikis SF
Pinson SG
we're not married to these guys

While not ideal, GSW get scorers who fit = depth. Other than walking away from an immediate solution to long term C needs, this is win for them.

Knicks take a partial step backwards, but immediately help to build and still have space, assets to add going forward.

Remind me another time to tell you guys my Dave DeBusschere story. Spirit of DeB lives on!!!

Dang...solid stuff here. I'm not as into hoops as I used to be like I said previously and so I feel like I went to school here...thx for the post.

Anytime you want to tell a DeBBuccchere story I'm all ears. He was the heart and soul of those great early 70's Knicks teams...love that guy

Reactions: bernmeister

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Exactly...well said. I've always been a Knick fan so much so that I even spent $1100 to scalp a ticket to Game 4 of the '99 finals vs the Spurs a game which we lost by the way....arggg. Anyways, there is nothing like the Garden when the Knicks are good. It's just too freaking bad that it's been 20 years since we were any good.

I'm liking the direction the team is going building thru the draft. I like Thibideou as well as he's had success in the past. We have some very nice pieces and so if we could become at least a 30-40 win team this upcoming season, that would be progress. And maybe in 2022 we could seriously contend for the playoffs. It's about damn time already the basketball gods gave us a break and threw us Knick fans a bone...ya think? Have we not sufffered enough?

Knicks, Jets, Mets fan....I think I know suffering. Thank god for the Rangers otherwise I'd need to be committed...lol

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Dang...solid stuff here. I'm not as into hoops as I used to be like I said previously and so I feel like I went to school here...thx for the post.

Anytime you want to tell a DeBBuccchere story I'm all ears. He was the heart and soul of those great early 70's Knicks teams...love that guy

I expect to be crushed for upwards of another month on an important matter. But pls remind and when I have time, will reveal.

Hoping others also like my above trade suggestion.
Forgot to include possible Warriors consider taking on Westbrook as replacement to Thompson; Westy is I think 3 yrs w/risk on last yr but decent odds first 2 yrs of his current deal. If they go there, my suggestion is further good b'c they have increased flexibility on what they give up for Westbrook, although cost of his contract and age will help up a bit with still considerable surrender needed to acquire him. [Helping is few teams have $ and cap to make that happen.]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad