Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Still don't get the fascination with Lou. Signed Marleau, Zaitsev, Komarov, Nelson for 6 mill...... never addressed RHD here. Traded away 2nds for 20 game 4th line C's. But somehow he'd be a master negotiator with Nylander, Marner and Matthews
Look at his track record signing RFA’s? It’s not a somehow, it’s based on his substantial body of work?

Zaitsev was a good gamble at the time that I would have made, too. I still think his best days are ahead of him, in Toronto or somewhere else.

Marleau, we’ll see. If he’s on a beach in Cali while his contract is on the Coyotes books, is that a loss?

Komorov and Nelson are under contract elsewhere, that would be tampering.

You’re right, the 2nds appear steep in hindsight, but those deals were also very much about bringing a veteran ‘rel gud pro’ into support the younger players. He paid a premium for that. I don’t mind the logic. Hindsight is 20/20.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
6 points in 53 games Brett Ritchie? The + in the deal better be huge

I doubt Ducks do Brown for Ritchie let alone add. We would not be acquiring Ritchie for his scoring prowess and Brown's output has steady declined for the last 2 years. If Dubas can get more than Ritchie for Brown, he gets an A from me.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So Kadri was looking to hurt someone for the sake of hurting someone, hurting his team? Wow; thats about unsubstantiated as ive ever seen. I guess next you'll say Kadri is an effective and feared pugilist as well? We know Thornton thinks so.
I don't know what what the second part has to do with anything, but yes I believe that Kadri was worked up and he was looking for an excuse to take it out on someone. And just like the year before, he did it in a way that hurt the team. I never said that he was actively looking to hurt someone or his team.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don't know what what the second part has to do with anything, but yes I believe that Kadri was worked up and he was looking for an excuse to take it out on someone. And just like the year before, he did it in a way that hurt the team. I never said that he was actively looking to hurt someone or his team.
I don’t believe for a second he was ‘looking for an excuse’ ... the game was emotional and he saw DeBrusk really try to lay into Marleau. As a teammate, he saw red and went in.

It was reactionary and nothing else.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I doubt Ducks do Brown for Ritchie let alone add. We would not be acquiring Ritchie for his scoring prowess and Brown's output has steady declined for the last 2 years. If Dubas can get more than Ritchie for Brown, he gets an A from me.

I think there is confusion here. The poster I was responding to was wanting Brett Ritchie (Stars), not Nick Ritchie (Ducks). Brett would be a terrible add in general, Nick would be a meh add and would be terrible value coming back in a Kadri trade

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think there is confusion here. The poster I was responding to was wanting Brett Ritchie (Stars), not Nick Ritchie (Ducks). Brett would be a terrible add in general, Nick would be a meh add and would be terrible value coming back in a Kadri trade

LOL yeah I thought it was a Brown for Ritchie trade with the Ducks. Personally I would rather target Crouse from Arizona for Brown. Some would argue that Yotes would have to add but I would take it and run 1 for 1.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I am too lazy to look up again but the 2 years proceeding last Kadri was 1 of i believe 3 NHL centres who scored more than 30 goals each season.

That obviously has massive value playing with an edge and at 4.5 million/season

Montreal donuts don't have a centre and we could ask for Suzuki+ for Naz.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Still don't get the fascination with Lou. Signed Marleau, Zaitsev, Komarov, Nelson for 6 mill...... never addressed RHD here. Traded away 2nds for 20 game 4th line C's. But somehow he'd be a master negotiator with Nylander, Marner and Matthews

All your posts are valid but I think Lou shows more backbone negotiating with the big 3 than Dubas has.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If you trade Kadri (who if you average out the last 3 seasons has looked like a borderline 1B centre or a top tier 2C) you are going after a Pesce or Trouba calibre player in a return. Kadri is a very valuable asset given his skill, position, style of play and contract. He makes the most sense to be the piece Dubas moves to get the top pair RHD.

Reactions: sparxx87

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t believe for a second he was ‘looking for an excuse’ ... the game was emotional and he saw DeBrusk really try to lay into Marleau. As a teammate, he saw red and went in.

Kadri and Debrusk were going nose to nose in game 1 and it carried into game 2 with the knee to knee hit being the last straw for Kadri. If it was anybody other than Debrusk that hit Marleau I doubt Kadri loses it.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If you trade Kadri (who if you average out the last 3 seasons has looked like a borderline 1B centre or a top tier 2C) you are going after a Pesce or Trouba calibre player in a return. Kadri is a very valuable asset given his skill, position, style of play and contract. He makes the most sense to be the piece Dubas moves to get the top pair RHD.

Kadri might/should get you Pesce but you need to add to get Trouba IMO. Trouba was in the same class as Rielly before the start of this season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

That's the thing. He can handle the emotional part of games without problem... until teams start goading him into it. And that's when he starts running around making dangerous hit attempts.

It's not just an isolated event. It's become a theme, and it's a big part of why he's been suspended so many times. They have almost all looked the same way before. Calls that go against him, opponents that go after him, and suddenly you can just see how he is chasing some chance to do something in retaliation.

Reactions: kb

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
To me, it's like having a nice house with a four car garage. Have a Ferrari, Pagani, Lambo, Koenigsegg, and a Corvette.
But now that cash is getting tight, something has to go. The Corvette might be the best bang for the buck, but it's also
going to be the first car sold. Maybe it gets replaced with a cheap truck. It won't be fast at all, but it'll save money and be
able to be used in different situations. It's going to come down to finances. And who knows, perhaps the return on the
Corvette ends up being an investment that pays off some pretty decent dividends down the road.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
That's the thing. He can handle the emotional part of games without problem... until teams start goading him into it. And that's when he starts running around making dangerous hit attempts.

It's not just an isolated event. It's become a theme, and it's a big part of why he's been suspended so many times. They have almost all looked the same way before. Calls that go against him, opponents that go after him, and suddenly you can just see how he is chasing some chance to do something in retaliation.
They know the team is softer than baby **** and he’s the only one who’ll do anything. They taunt him, it works. The problem is that they can isolate Kadri. If the team was tougher, they wouldn’t be able to do that.

Teams know he’s the pulse. Unfortunate when the intensity ramps up, he’s usually the only one.

If you’re beating up my team and laughing in my face, I’m gonna take your head off too. I’ll take that any day over the alternative.

Some Leaf fans are so disappointing. Decades of divas who didn’t care about winning... you’ve got a guy here who would do anything to win, completely submitted himself to the coach..... and you guys want to trade him now, because you’re upset at him? :laugh:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I was firmly on team 'wait until at least after this coming year if we even do it at all', but now, after the suspension, I'm on team 'if the right deal comes along tomorrow, pull the trigger'.

Mostly for reasons others have said.

1. His next suspension, and there will be another, even if it's for a minor indiscretion that gets a first timer 1-2 games, he sits for 8-12, so spotty is his history.

2. His cap hit of 4.5 for three more years would be very attractive to any team in any situation.

3. He's clearly cast below his depth as a 15 a night 3rd line center, he can be a good second line center on a good team, but he's not passing Tavares or Matthews...and one of them goes down we have Willy to pick up the slack.

4. And finally, good third line centers are available every year for only money: this year alone, Johansson, Wilson and Brassard can be had - are they as good as Kadri, no but do we really need a guy who's a liability out there when we've got Auston and Johnny T manning the top six and (hopefully) eating about 45 of the sixty available minutes in a game?

The right type of offer I'm in for is obviously centered on a young RHD but that probably won't happen.

But I'd take a 2nd, a young natural LW and a B level D prospect for him no question.

:flyers

Kadri
5th

:leafs

Lindblom
Zamula/Kalynuk
2nd

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The second you trade away Nazem Kadri, you desperately start looking for a solid two-way third line center making good money for the next 3 years who produces, plays with jam, and can be your shutdown center.

In short - NO, unless the Leafs are getting a legit top pairing back in return for Kadri for similar dollar, you aren't moving Kadri.

No. 3rd line centers are not that hard to find, and Kadri has shown that he is not worth a "legit top pairing". Did you see how expensive it was to acquire Muzzin?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
They know the team is softer than baby **** and he’s the only one who’ll do anything. They taunt him, it works. The problem is that they can isolate Kadri. If the team was tougher, they wouldn’t be able to do that.

Teams know he’s the pulse. Unfortunate when the intensity ramps up, he’s usually the only one.

If you’re beating up my team and laughing in my face, I’m gonna take your head off too. I’ll take that any day over the alternative.

Some Leaf fans are so disappointing. Decades of divas who didn’t care about winning... you’ve got a guy here who would do anything to win, completely submitted himself to the coach..... and you guys want to trade him now, because you’re upset at him? :laugh:

Where has he been? Do anything to win? He's never around to help his team win! He's let his team down all his career! Does anyone remember Kadri during "Salute Gate"?! Shanny suspended him! He is not the character guy you think he is. He has a litany of well documented stupidity that's hurt his team.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Where has he been? Do anything to win? He's never around to help his team win! He's let his team down all his career! Does anyone remember Kadri during "Salute Gate"?! Shanny suspended him! He is not the character guy you think he is. He has a litany of well documented stupidity that's hurt his team.
:laugh: oh dear.

Shananan loves players like Kadri. Mike Babcock loves Kadri.

We’ll see what Robin does with his Batman belt on this one. Hopefully he doesn’t hurt himself or break anything. Fingers crossed.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

That's a good point.

Some Leaf fans are so disappointing. Decades of divas who didn’t care about winning... you’ve got a guy here who would do anything to win, completely submitted himself to the coach.....
But he's not doing anything to win. He's doing things that end up contributing to us losing. Intentions matter less than actions, right?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
That's a good point.

But he's not doing anything to win. He's doing things that end up contributing to us losing. Intentions matter less than actions, right?
Definitely, but what about the tens of thousands of good intentions and good decisions he’s made?

Adjustments need to be made, no question, but you can’t give Kadri away unless it’s for something that makes your team better.

Trading him for pennies on the dollar, or two nickels for a dime just doesn’t make sense for a team trying to win. He’s a player contending teams covet. Typically, a player like him on that contract would only be moved by a rebuilding team.

Contenders don’t trade Kadri, but they’d swap him for a blueline piece because weakness vs surplus.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
These posters do not deserve a player like Kadri, yes he is hot headed and makes stupid decisions at times. I really do want him traded and see him put 70 plus points as a 1st or 2nd line center for another team so I can come here and troll your lame asses.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Definitely, but what about the tens of thousands of good intentions and good decisions he’s made?

Adjustments need to be made, no question, but you can’t give Kadri away unless it’s for something that makes your team better.

Trading him for pennies on the dollar, or two nickels for a dime just doesn’t make sense for a team trying to win. He’s a player contending teams covet. Typically, a player like him on that contract would only be moved by a rebuilding team.
Oh that I absolutely agree with. I've always liked Kadri, a lot for the very reasons you mentioned. Doing the same mistake two years in a row has just felt unforgivable so far. But I do agree that there needs to be value coming back. And good value too.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am too lazy to look up again but the 2 years proceeding last Kadri was 1 of i believe 3 NHL centres who scored more than 30 goals each season.

That obviously has massive value playing with an edge and at 4.5 million/season

Montreal donuts don't have a centre and we could ask for Suzuki+ for Naz.

We've all seen how "massive" can turn into zero overnight. How many more times do you need to see this happen in the playoffs before seeing this as a serious issue that "masively" detracts from his value?

He's unable to do the very first thing that you need to do to help the team win - be eligible to play. How you don't get this is beyond my comprehension.

Reactions: kb

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
These posters do not deserve a player like Kadri, yes he is hot headed and makes stupid decisions at times. I really do want him traded and see him put 70 plus points as a 1st or 2nd line center for another team so I can come here and troll your lame asses.
For me, that’s what I’ve found most disappointing. So many fans have turned on him.

Of all the garbage they’ve had, Kadri seems like one who should be appreciated. It wasn’t too long ago that Joey Crabb was on a first line and there was a coach who enjoyed putting both Fraser McLaren and Colton Orr in the same lineup. Mason Raymond, and David Booth were the depth you’d hope would step up.

Man, some of you are living that life right now with 34, 91, 16, 29, 44.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad