Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nazem "Suspension" Kadri – Cap casualty? | Leafs Hub

Enter Nazem Kadri.
Rumours involving Nazem Kadri are starting to circulate, and why not? With a drop in production, a second consecutive 1st round suspension, and 4.5M committed to your 3C, wasn’t it only a matter of time before “The Suspendable Expendable” heard his name whispered in trade talks? Maybe this would be crazy talk if not for his latest suspendable infraction, but recency bias has people thinking and talking, so let’s talk.

Jeff Williams of Leafshub talks why Kadri might move and where he could go

Last edited by a moderator:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
You are approaching this the wrong way. If we trade Kadri it’s for a cheaper 3c and a pick, or a top 4 RHD. We do not need picks or prospects.

Reactions: AreBe

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
This was from a Kadri trade thread but Ferris hit the nail on the head.

Trading Kadri would be epically stupid for the Maple Leafs right now.

Just a year ago they had an excellent second line centre on a great value contract who had delivered thirty goals from the second line. With his cheap contract the team was in a great position to pay their young stars and still have plenty of cap space to address the teams' biggest need: improving the blue line.

Instead, they inexplicably went out and got another centre to play on the second line and paid him well over double what they were paying Kadri and re-jigged the internal pay scale as a result. Now the young guys have been handed big bloated contracts, there's no room in the budget to address the D-issues, Kadri's value has dropped because he was no longer a second liner and his goal total got cut in half and now with his value low, they trade him opening up a hole down the middle?

Dubas can't keep doubling down on dumb. When you have cap issues you don't trade your biggest value contract *and* open up a roster hole.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Text book Leafs Move

Package off Kadri, Kappanen and a first for grizzled veteran penalty box sitting champion Patrick O'Thuggo

We are finally skating, we have youth, we are in a grove

Trade away cheap players in the salary cap era for aging veterans and inflict ourselves with the law of diminishing returns, text book Leafs oh oh!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The second you trade away Nazem Kadri, you desperately start looking for a solid two-way third line center making good money for the next 3 years who produces, plays with jam, and can be your shutdown center.

In short - NO, unless the Leafs are getting a legit top pairing back in return for Kadri for similar dollar, you aren't moving Kadri.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Hes far FAR from a cap casulty. Hes a victim of his own doing, through his repeated suspendable plays at the most innopportune times.

And if Dubas had any players on the roster that could stick up for his team mates, have some jam, Kadri would not have been in that situation. Make no mistake; Kadri is responsible for his actions. Also, Dubas is responsible for not having anyone on the roster who could stand up for his team mates, leaving that to Kadri to manage.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
And if Dubas had any players on the roster that could stick up for his team mates, have some jam, Kadri would not have been in that situation. Make no mistake; Kadri is responsible for his actions. Also, Dubas is responsible for not having anyone on the roster who could stand up for his team mates, leaving that to Kadri to manage.

Kadri can stick up for his teammates through legal means. He doesnt have to lay dirty hits. If he drops the mitts and fights Debrusk he gets 5 minutes.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I, for one, want EVEN MORE important pieces to REPEATEDLY get suspended in important situations
:laugh:

What I’m saying is that Kadri gives them a lot more to work with than a lot of other guys in that forward group.

You nailed it, though. He should have dropped his gloves and fought. That’s what he should be told here, and nothing else. Kadri should be the least of your concerns.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson+Kadri for a signed Trouba would be my dream trade if Kadri is to be traded.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Kadri can stick up for his teammates through legal means. He doesnt have to lay dirty hits. If he drops the mitts and fights Debrusk he gets 5 minutes.

You're correct, and we have seen this before from Kadri. Yet, despite the facrs and what everyone already knew, Dubas didn't get anyone to fill that role, leaving it to Kadri.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
:laugh:

What I’m saying is that Kadri gives them a lot more to work with than a lot of other guys in that forward group.

You nailed it, though. He should have dropped his gloves and fought. That’s what he should be told here, and nothing else. Kadri should be the least of your concerns.
If only that was true. I have no faith that he won't do something equally stupid next year too. Hard to feel comfortable when you have lost your trust in the player.

I don't really think it was about standing up for anyone either. He was looking for an excuse to blow someone up, and he got it. He had plenty of opportunities to stand up for teammates earlier than that but didn't, so I don't think that was what he was looking for. Just a convenient excuse. And even if it wasn't, he should have done it smartly like you said.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
If only that was true. I have no faith that he won't do something equally stupid next year too. Hard to feel comfortable when you have lost your trust in the player.

I don't really think it was about standing up for anyone either. He was looking for an excuse to blow someone up, and he got it. He had plenty of opportunities to stand up for teammates earlier than that but didn't, so I don't think that was what he was looking for. Just a convenient excuse. And even if it wasn't, he should have done it smartly like you said.
I agree you’ve gotta be smarter. He should’ve been taken through the ringer for it, called to the President’s office..

...but if he had’ve just dropped the gloves instead of the cross check, this is an entirely different conversation. I think that’s a minor adjustment that can be made.

The hit on Marleau wasn’t even bad, but with the tone of the game, they desperately needed a pushback. Kadri is one of the only players who can play in those minutes and push back.

He’s a fearless competitor, and you can’t teach that. He’s a player you win with

Reactions: Leafling

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

So Kadri was looking to hurt someone for the sake of hurting someone, hurting his team? Wow; thats about unsubstantiated as ive ever seen. I guess next you'll say Kadri is an effective and feared pugilist as well? We know Thornton thinks so.

Reactions: Leafling

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Trade someone from him , Kap, Aj, Marner, nylander. Dont try and run the same roster again next year. This team has proven it cant beat Boston the way it's currently set up. They have yet to show they have the ability finish anywhere but 3rd in the division. To many fans are delusional and think that we can easily trade Zaitsev, Marleau, brown and all will be fixed. If we do find deals for them it still doesnt fix up our issues on the roster. We need a top 6 LW who has size and plays a power forward style of hockey. We need 1 top 4 rhd but preferably 2. Enough of getting attached to players who have proven nothing. I really do hope we trade kadri this offseason. Losing out on your 3rd line center will hurt less b/c we can get a top 4 rhd who can impact the game more for us. Move on from 43 he is simply dumb beyond defending and has proven useless come April.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kadri should be traded for a fair price. Dubas can't be focused on just the suspensions as people are, and then trade him. He needs to look at the positives of Kadri, and use those qualities to get a good return for Kadri.
If a team offers a solid package, trade him, not because a poster thinks he is a one trick pony, but because it makes logical sense.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->