Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Kadri is the only sandpaper currently wearing blue and white. We need him.

Muzzin? Hyman? AJ? Kapanen?

I can't recall a single game last year where Kadri's "sandpaper" was a positive influence on the outcome of a game. I think Kadri's "sandpaper" effect is a lot over rated on this forum.

We can get a goofball for league min if we want someone running around pasting people into the ice. At Kadri's pay cheque we need a lot more than light "sandpaper" and 16 goals.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Kadri isn't a dirty player in the same way as Marchand, Cooke, and so on.

The biggest difference is that Marchand, for example, is smart enough to rarely cross the line, and usually only do it when he won't get punished. Kadri either isn't smart enough or isn't controlled enough.

Same effect but different motives, those guys you listed they thought about their actions before they did it, with Kadri there is no thought.

Its like an angry bear and a stalking mountain lion, the results will be the same but the motives are different.

Reactions: The Apologist

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
When he gets top-6 ice time. Unless he shifts to wing I don't see it going forward.
He played one shift less per game compared to his 30 goal seasons, so I'm not sure why were continuing to make these top-6, bottom-6 distinctions even to this day. Thank God Burke is GONE.

Naz generated tons of scoring chances on the PP but couldn't convert - both his even-strength and PP shooting % took a dip this year. His most common even strength teammates were Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev and Gardiner. If I'm understanding shot metrics correctly, they suggest that he played more of a passing role than in years past, given Patrick Marleau being on the line, it would make sense. He needs a quality passer like Marner to rack up the goals, but who doesn't? Also, what's with the lack of shot blocks this year?

I think Babcock's shot himself in the foot by not playing him on the PK. A 55% faceoff rate is enough of a reason, never minding how good he was on the kill in juniors. Man's an excellent coach but also really dull sometimes.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I feel like Kadri is trying really hard to be visible in the city this summer. He's been at a bunch of Raptors games and was at the parade yesterday. I know other Leafs were at a few of the games, but it just seems like Kadri has been extra visible. Maybe it's just me.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
and he is hated in his hometown in Halifax. he could care less about the young kids wanting autographs. he kicks kids off the ice so he can have a clean sheet to himself. complete and total opposite of MAC and Crosby who even play sticks with the kids. tells you a lot when hockey people from Halifax all sing the same story.

Born and Raised Hali...living in NB...this right here is so true...the guy is an @$$hole...a self important Prck, which is unfortunate cause Halifax wanted to be happy for him lol

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You know it is bad when his auntie shakes her head and mumbles under her breadth but there are bad apples everywhere i guess. I was in Hali for a couple days coming back from Rock for a DAL grad. Great city really enjoyed it. Gotta recommend The Lower Deck to listen to the east coast music on a Sunday night. Now that is how to party.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
To trade a guy who provides the most value cap-wise for the team for trying optimize their cap allocations would be the most asinine thing to do. Other than egregious circumstances unknown to us (perhaps head brass is annoyed with his suspensions in the post-season), I see absolutely no reason to trade him. You don't trade a player who provides for the team for well below market value. Kadri would probably commend 8 million on the market today with his previous resume. Of course it would hinge on the return(and that in the end is the biggest factor), but I think it'd be terrible, terrible asset management to trade him at his cap hit.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To trade a guy who provides the most value cap-wise for the team for trying optimize their cap allocations would be the most asinine thing to do. Other than egregious circumstances unknown to us (perhaps head brass is annoyed with his suspensions in the post-season), I see absolutely no reason to trade him. You don't trade a player who provides for the team for well below market value. Kadri would probably commend 8 million on the market today with his previous resume. Of course it would hinge on the return(and that in the end is the biggest factor), but I think it'd be terrible, terrible asset management to trade him at his cap hit.

Maybe he never gets suspended again but to pretend like this didn't happen two years in a row and both times, may have cost us getting out of the first round is ridiculous. There is big risk involved here which has a negative impact on his value and it's probably fair to say that Kadri is the player most likely to get suspended in the playoffs next year.

As far as trading him goes, like any other player it depends on the return. If trading him makes the team better then it'd be terrible, terrible asset management to trade him.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Kadri is one of my favorite players on the team. I would be sad to see him go, but I feel he is wasted on the 3rd line.

No player is greater than the team I guess.

Reactions: ToneDog and willmma

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Did Sportsnet report that Kadri blocked a trade to Calgary? I guess he's on his way out for a defenseman one way or another.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
I liked Kadri as a player, he signed for a team-friendly cap hit and played his game with some edge while contributing offensively. With the current center depth on the Leafs, Kadri becomes a bit expensive as a 3C, while looks attractive and cost-effective for another team that needs a 2C.

Some of his regrettable moves in the playoffs didn't help the Leafs, and you become a little wary after a player commits the same offence more than once. Hopefully, he can move on and has learned his lesson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad