Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Easier to manage the heart of a lion than to create one.

Leafs need more players like Kadri, not less.

We need more players who aren't allowed to take to the ice in the playoffs? Why?

:laugh:

What I’m saying is that Kadri gives them a lot more to work with than a lot of other guys in that forward group.

You nailed it, though. He should have dropped his gloves and fought. That’s what he should be told here, and nothing else. Kadri should be the least of your concerns.

What does he gives them to work with when he's not allowed on the ice?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Next suspension Kadri gets will be a LONG one.

He has no self control, clearly, so I would strongly consider trading him for a top 4 D or another center because he will get suspended again in the future.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
We need more players who aren't allowed to take to the ice in the playoffs? Why?

What does he gives them to work with when he's not allowed on the ice?
I posted this in another thread:
It’s also important to apply context to the last two suspensions. Both games the Leafs were getting beat up and physically intimidated... When the rest of the team was rattled Kadri gritted his teeth and swung back. He’s often the guy that does that but people only remember the few times he crossed the line.

Here’s a memorable one for me where it went the other way;

This was their first year back in the playoffs, first game at home and they fell down 2 early. They were visibly rattled and the building was lifeless. Nobody could get anything going and this completely turned the tables. If memory serves correctly, they won this game in overtime.

How quickly some can turn on a player whose often the heartbeat of the team. How soon you forget all the good he does.

Ironic, really.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Kadri for a 1st + small prospect from Avalanche/Canes.

Sign a UFA center who can PK and take faceoffs and lean on the top two lines.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander

Moore - UFA - Kapanen

Marleau - Gaut - Mikheyev

Marchment

Have Kapanen play LW to see how he is until Hyman is back
Lean on the top two lines HARD, and draft a center prospect with the #16 pick

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Obviously you don't move NK without a replacement in mind. Not a cap casualty but any player stupid enough to get suspended twice in the playoffs is probably stupid enough to get it a third time. His ass move might have cost the Leafs the Bruins series, maybe even a Cup final. I don't know how anyone can downplay that.

The other thing is that he has shown he can produce in a #2c role and I think you can find a #3c who doesn't have quite the top 6 performance but can get you close to 40 points. Kadri can produce on the pp but they are stacked with producers. He may have more value to another club who needs his pp skills and the Leafs would replace him seamlessly with a C who can match his 31-36 ES points and doesn't see the pp. For reference Boone Jenner had 29 and 34 ES points the last two years on 14:00 TOI and is better at faceoffs. Not saying get tunnel vision on Jenner but he can't be unique in the league. With their expected FA losses and no 1st rounders the Jackets do seem to be a willing trade partner for the right pieces. Nashville has to be looking at some changes and players you wouldn't expect to be available probably are.

Not banging the drum to dump Kadri but anyone who makes himself disappear in the playoffs can't be considered essential for playoff success.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think we do move Kadri for a RHD. He will be the piece that moves to free up the cap space to improve the D, and allow us to keep Kappy and Johnsson.
Possible targets I could see are Pesce and Trouba.

Reactions: sparxx87

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I think we do move Kadri for a RHD. He will be the piece that moves to free up the cap space to improve the D, and allow us to keep Kappy and Johnsson.
This is the one scenario I see, too.

If they can make an impact on their blueline, do it... But selling him for pennies on the dollar would be incredibly foolish.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The only replacement at 3C is Nylander and and wouldnt move him there. He wont get enough ice time to justify his contract and should be playing beside Matthews. With the cap crunch the leafs depth will take a dive and stacking the top 6 will become the best option.

If kadri is traded the leafs need a replacement 3C.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
The only replacement at 3C is Nylander and and wouldnt move him there. He wont get enough ice time to justify his contract and should be playing beside Matthews. With the cap crunch the leafs depth will take a dive and stacking the top 6 will become the best option.

If kadri is traded the leafs need a replacement 3C.
What is the more important glaring hole: Top pairing RHD or 3C?
Yes, we may have to either move Nylander to 3C or acquire one, but finding a 3C is much easier to do than find a top pairing RHD, which either Trouba or Pesce would be.
I would much rather have Nylander at 3C than Zaitsev as our top pair RHD which under contract is what we have now.

Reactions: nuck and sparxx87

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
What is the more important glaring hole: Top pairing RHD or 3C?
Yes, we may have to either move Nylander to 3C or acquire one, but finding a 3C is much easier to do than find a top pairing RHD, which either Trouba or Pesce would be.
I would much rather have Nylander at 3C than Zaitsev as our top pair RHD which under contract is what we have now.
I would much rather try to move a guy like Kap or AJ in a package for a RD if they are going to be getting 3-4 million each.

Also dont think Carolina or Winnipeg would be interested in a kadri swap for Trouba/Pesce. Maybe that is just their fans though lol.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
:laugh:

What I’m saying is that Kadri gives them a lot more to work with than a lot of other guys in that forward group.

You nailed it, though. He should have dropped his gloves and fought. That’s what he should be told here, and nothing else. Kadri should be the least of your concerns.

He does not learn, though, he is a dumbass. It's the truth. How can you trust him?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He does not learn, though, he is a dumbass. It's the truth. How can you trust him?
You can never trust players not to make mistakes. You can only do your best at teaching them not to make them.

Do you think it’s likely Kadri keeps getting suspended?

I trust Nazem Kadri more than I trust Jake Gardiner.

Reactions: New Liskeard

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He won't be a casualty of the cap, but rather his own recidivism.

There's really no logical argument to keep him. Either his repeated voluntary absences have cost the Leafs a second round appearance and he should be moved for a player who won't inhibit playoff success. Or, they haven't, in which case he should be moved for a more impactful player.

Also, his next suspension -and there will be another- is going to be ~20 regular season games or ~10 playoff games. Not sure why anyone wants us to be on the hook for that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's probably down to the Leaf choosing 2 of Kapanen/Johnsson/Kadri to keep and re-sign and let the third one go.

Reactions: OTC

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He won't be a casualty of the cap, but rather his own recidivism.

There's really no logical argument to keep him. Either his repeated voluntary absences have cost the Leafs a second round appearance and he should be moved for a player who won't inhibit playoff success. Or, they haven't, in which case he should be moved for a more impactful player.

Also, his next suspension -and there will be another- is going to be ~20 regular season games or ~10 playoff games. Not sure why anyone wants us to be on the hook for that.
Some don’t believe him being suspended in the playoffs next year is a forgone conclusion?

Some think this was a real wake up call and he’ll finally ‘get it’ around 29-30, kinda like Brad Marchand did.

I’m inclined to have faith when I consider his entire arc as a player, particularly since Babcock arrived.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
This team is inevitably going to get more top-heavy until some cheap young guys come in and take icetime, so I think Kadri has to go if they can't get rid of Zaitsev or Marleau.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Some don’t believe him being suspended in the playoffs next year is a forgone conclusion?

Some think this was a real wake up call and he’ll finally ‘get it’ around 29-30, kinda like Brad Marchand did.

I’m inclined to have faith when I consider his entire arc as a player, particularly since Babcock arrived.

Brad Marchand "got it"? When did that happen?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Obviously you don't move NK without a replacement in mind. Not a cap casualty but any player stupid enough to get suspended twice in the playoffs is probably stupid enough to get it a third time. His ass move might have cost the Leafs the Bruins series, maybe even a Cup final. I don't know how anyone can downplay that.

The other thing is that he has shown he can produce in a #2c role and I think you can find a #3c who doesn't have quite the top 6 performance but can get you close to 40 points. Kadri can produce on the pp but they are stacked with producers. He may have more value to another club who needs his pp skills and the Leafs would replace him seamlessly with a C who can match his 31-36 ES points and doesn't see the pp. For reference Boone Jenner had 29 and 34 ES points the last two years on 14:00 TOI and is better at faceoffs. Not saying get tunnel vision on Jenner but he can't be unique in the league. With their expected FA losses and no 1st rounders the Jackets do seem to be a willing trade partner for the right pieces. Nashville has to be looking at some changes and players you wouldn't expect to be available probably are.

Not banging the drum to dump Kadri but anyone who makes himself disappear in the playoffs can't be considered essential for playoff success.
Nicely said, and sums up my thoughts as well!
Trade Kadri and we need a 3C.....but that doesn't have to be the trade that this thread seems hung up on.
Trade Kadri, get RHD, replace 3C....however it pans out. Include assets as needed to get done.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Hes far FAR from a cap casulty. Hes a victim of his own doing, through his repeated suspendable plays at the most innopportune times.

Correct. He failed the organization 2x in the past playoffs which directly impacted the teams ability to win.

If he gets traded obviously there would be a need for a solid 2 way C. I believe he’s peaked as his role has diminished with the arrival of JT. He still has value and could fetch a top 4 d who I would rather have impact the game 20+ minutes to his 15 or so.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
8.8M available in cap space to sign Marner, Kappy and AJ plus add 2 D to replace Gardiner and Hainsey.

Do the math.

Gone will be Brown AND one of:

1) Zaitsev
2) Nylander
3) Kadri

Making 3 holes on D instead of 2 seems dumb.

Nylander is on the upside of his age related performance curve.

Kadri is on the downside of his age related performance curve. He’s not reliable. And the org has invested 23M in two studs to play ahead of him. All facts. Not emotion. Facts.

He’s the most logical to sacrifice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3