Confirmed with Link: Nate Schmidt to winnipeg for 2022 3RD

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
Anyone else wonder why Vancouver would protect Schmidt only to flip him for a 3rd rounder? How devoid of talent is the Nuck system that they protect a guy to not lose a 3rd round pick? I mean they don't have another exposed d-man or forward anywhere that they value higher than that?

Sorry...posted by mistake and I don't know how to delete this post.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I blame Morrissey for his own faults. My issue with him is that he’s paid too much. 6.25 for a guy who doesn’t have enough bite to really compete. The body language when he doesn’t have a great partner is “I’m not really trying here”

Don’t see that at all. I see: “I’ve been dragging around this 6/7 D for most of the year while playing my offside and I’ve got sod all left in the tank, dagnabbit.”

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016
Don’t see that at all. I see: “I’ve been dragging around this 6/7 D for most of the year while playing my offside and I’ve got sod all left in the tank, dagnabbit.”

Agreed. He looked good with henoila, and demelo. It was a tire fire with poolman and beaulieu. Your playing against other teams best with poolman, your not playing your own game your just chasing.

Last edited:

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
Agreed. Hey looked good with henoila, and demelo. It was a tire fire with poolman and beaulieu. Your playing against other teams best with poolman, your not playing your own game your just chasing.

Exactly. Who wouldn't be frustrated and tired playing behind the 8 ball every single shift.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone else wonder why Vancouver would protect Schmidt only to flip him for a 3rd rounder? How devoid of talent is the Nuck system that they protect a guy to not lose a 3rd round pick? I mean they don't have another d-man anywhere that they value higher than that?
The knowledgeable Canuck fans are wondering that as well. Very hard to understand, but Benning has been a blessing to us in Jetland.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
LeBrun in The Athletic has the Jets doing well thus far. Some interesting nuggets on the Schmidt deal -- including a comparo between Buff and Nate on the charisma front. Also seems Chevy was able to deal directly with NS's agent:

“Jim gave me permission to reach out to them and have direct conversations with them,’’ said Cheveldayoff.

And, well, it helps when you’ve got a guy like Stastny who is pals with Schmidt, former teammates in Vegas plus both represented by Keato. Stastny sold Schmidt on the virtues of joining the Jets and encouraged him to consider waiving his no-trade to go to Winnipeg.

“I think Stastny’s first phone call was to Schmidtty to say, ‘You know what? You may be my friend but this is more of a hockey call,’’’ said Cheveldayoff. “‘There’s something good going on here and it can be something great if you’re part of it.’ It fell together.’’

In Cheveldayoff’s eyes, Schmidt also helps replace other components left behind by Byfuglien’s nearly irreplaceable void.

“When you lose Buff you also lose that playmaking flair, that energy, that kind of glue guy charisma that Buff had. You gain that back in a guy like Nate Schmidt. He plays with that energy, he plays with that passion, I think he’ll be a lot more active on the rush side of things with us and our systems.

“For us, I think just it couldn’t fall any better to round our top four out.’’

LeBrun: The Jets have won the offseason so far, how Colorado ended up with Darcy Kuemper

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016
We wouldn’t have enough space to fill out the roster.

Not sure what you mean
13m in space
6m to resign pionk
4m for coop

3m in space
Trade/give away Beaulieus contract and give it to Stanley. All 3 rfas are signed with 3m in space.

Coop Lowry vesa
Harkins Gusta Toninato
Rosters there. We have the space for coop and pionk as long as they don't get greedy.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Not sure what you mean
13m in space
6m to resign pionk
4m for coop

3m in space
Trade/give away Beaulieus contract and give it to Stanley. All 3 rfas are signed with 3m in space.

Coop Lowry vesa
Harkins Gusta Toninato
Rosters there. We have the space for coop and pionk as long as they don't get greedy.

How many guys on the roster for injury call up?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

If this is accurate, all we have left on the Cap is $ 6.8 mil, we cannot possibly sign all these guys. Copp wants $ 5mil and Pionk will want $ 5.5 to $ 6mil, so something has to give here ?? as that's $ 10.5 mil right there.

Does this mean the Jets trade "both Copp and Pionk, as they have the defenseman to replace Pionk now, although I'd love to keep him.

I guess this is it for Ex Jet -- Mathew Perrault.

In addition to Little's LTIR so another $5.3 is available, but to maximize its benefits its best to wait until day one of the regular season.

Sorry for not including that tidbit in the post you responded to. It's just appeared so often I'm assuming everyone is aware.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016
How many guys on the roster for injury call up?

Henoila and Niku is on our cap. Henoila gets sent down. We gain 850k in space and Niku is in the pb. So Harkins is on jets roster. So we have about 4-5m (more if coop and pionk take less than 4 and 6, doubt it tho) to finish for 4/5 guys for 4th line and pb and all those guys will make 750k. It can fit.

It just make sense to send Coop tho for maybe a backup or picks/propect and use vesa and Tony on the third and not have to be that tight. But if we're going for it we should be keeping coop.

Reactions: blues10

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Schmidt had a really good interview. You can see he’s a very personable guy. You don’t tend to see that much anymore. Everyone seems to go on a script and it’s annoying. I personally like the switch, didn’t cost us a good roster player and although the contract is a bit much, it won’t hamper us in the end…. He will still be very serviceable in 3 years ha wheelers boat anchor contract.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Henoila and Niku is on our cap. Henoila gets sent down. We gain 850k in space and Niku is in the pb. So Harkins is on jets roster. So we have about 4-5m (more if coop and pionk take less than 4 and 6, doubt it tho) to finish for 4/5 guys for 4th line and pb and all those guys will make 750k. It can fit.

It just make sense to send Coop tho for maybe a backup or picks/propect and use vesa and Tony on the third and not have to be that tight. But if we're going for it we should be keeping coop.
Copp value has to be more than a back up goalie. Those are a dime a dozen.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Copp value has to be more than a back up goalie. Those are a dime a dozen.

His value is pretty low considering he is basically coming in as a year rental until he signs. If he doesn't get the value he's looking for I can see him arbing his way to UFA. At which point some team likely overpays him for like 6 years.

Reactions: blues10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
His value is pretty low considering he is basically coming in as a year rental until he signs. If he doesn't get the value he's looking for I can see him arbing his way to UFA. At which point some team likely overpays him for like 6 years.
I can see us still getting a 2nd or at least a 3rd for him as a rental. Back up goalies get 5th rd picks or lower.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Who the f*** trades copp for a backup goalie. Jesus. People need to realize helle is our guy and the backup doesn't matter. Trading copp for a backup is stupid. I'd rather take picks than the pointless backup who will play 20 games or less

According to Chevy... Helle is consulted on who the backup should be. The relationship between helle and backup who plays 20 games max matters more. Helle and Comries off ice relationship matters here. Our backup won't play 20 games

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Who the f*** trades copp for a backup goalie. Jesus. People need to realize helle is our guy and the backup doesn't matter. Trading copp for a backup is stupid. I'd rather take picks than the pointless backup who will play 20 games or less

According to Chevy... Helle is consulted on who the backup should be. The relationship between helle and backup who plays 20 games max matters more. Helle and Comries off ice relationship matters here. Our backup won't play 20 games

And then an injury happens...........

Reactions: Jets 31

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The 2021/22 Jets will be the most talented, skilled and experienced team Maurice ever coached. If he can't win it all with this team he never will win a SC and he has to go.

That said I think Maurice will be history if the Jets cannot get past the 2nd round. If the Jets go to the final Maurice bought himself another year. The tricky part is if the Jets make it to the WCF and no further, I see Chevy giving him one more year but personally I think he should be fired if the Jets do not make the SCF.

So in other words, we are now the best team in the league.
That's a tough benchmark - can't see it as being reasonable to anyone other than those that simply do not want Mo coaching this team - regardless.

Reactions: Jet

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can see us still getting a 2nd or at least a 3rd for him as a rental. Back up goalies get 5th rd picks or lower.

Depends on the backup. If we were to get one I'd like someone young with potential. Vanecek just went for a 2nd, Vladar went for a 3rd, Rittich was traded for a 3rd not long ago. I'm not overly interested in some 34 year old backup on a 1 year deal. We should be looking at a kid with some potential to push Helle to be even better.

Reactions: Huffer

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Maurice finally put DeMelo on the 1st pair for the PO.

Running him on the 3rd pair all season was brutal. Running Poolman on the 1st pair all season was brutal.

Having Stan on the 3rd pair took some of the heat off the need for Demolo down there.
Prior to that, it would have been BooBoo and Poolman - that would have been ugly.

Reactions: Jet and Jets 31

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
That's a tough benchmark - can't see it as being reasonable to anyone other than those that simply do not want Mo coaching this team - regardless.

LOL! You do know I been defending Mo on this board for years.

Where did I call the Jets the best team in the league? I didn't say that.

Maurice has been the Jets coach since year 2 of the 2.0 era. He will have the most talented and experienced team he has ever coached, if he can't win it all with Jets 2021/22 team then lets see if someone else can.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah that's a pretty high mark considering Tampa still exists and is still a much better team than we are top to bottom. There's a lot to like here with this team but I have to see the new pieces in action and how they fit, see where everyone is at coming into the year. Then I'll set my expectations. Going in cold I think this is a playoff team for sure. So my initial expectations are finish top 3 in the division.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Depends on the backup. If we were to get one I'd like someone young with potential. Vanecek just went for a 2nd, Vladar went for a 3rd, Rittich was traded for a 3rd not long ago. I'm not overly interested in some 34 year old backup on a 1 year deal. We should be looking at a kid with some potential to push Helle to be even better.
I mean Rittich has experience being a starter. So in that scenario Copp is worth 2 2nds or a late 1st at td considering the season he had last year he is easily worth that. The dzingel price.
We have Holm and Berdin ready for their chance. We just need a 34 year old place holder. I’d rather a d prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad