Confirmed with Link: Nate Schmidt to winnipeg for 2022 3RD

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Morrissey relevant -

I see: “I’ve been dragging around this 6/7 D for most of the year while playing my offside and I’ve got sod all left in the tank, dagnabbit.”

Yes, sod that!

giphy.gif

Reactions: JetsUK

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I mean Rittich has experience being a starter. So in that scenario Copp is worth 2 2nds or a late 1st at td considering the season he had last year he is easily worth that. The dzingel price.
We have Holm and Berdin ready for their chance. We just need a 34 year old place holder. I’d rather a d prospect.

Where are we keeping him until the deadline? We don't have the cap to sign him. Teams know this. He's a year away from UFA, teams know this. I don't think Copp has near the trade value people think he does and when he does get dealt I think we are all going to be a little underwhelmed at the return.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Bigfish

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Where are we keeping him until the deadline? We don't have the cap to sign him. Teams know this. He's a year away from UFA, teams know this. I don't think Copp has near the trade value people think he does and when he does get dealt I think we are all going to be a little underwhelmed at the return.
Plenty of teams right up at cap got good value. Schmidt got a 3rd and he has a limited nmc. But you are entitled to your thoughts.
Vg were desperate to move stas. Who didn’t have as good a season as Copp just had. Was more expensive and older less versatile and we still paid a second.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So Vancouver pulled off a third with Schmidt coming off a much weaker season.

Like I said hes signed. Copp isn't. What he did doesn't matter if he just walks to UFA next year. With the dust settling on FA frenzy we just have to hope a team is desperate because they missed out on someone. Or Chevy pulls a rabbit out of his behind and somehow gets him signed and fit under the cap.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
LOL! You do know I been defending Mo on this board for years.

Where did I call the Jets the best team in the league? I didn't say that.

Maurice has been the Jets coach since year 2 of the 2.0 era. He will have the most talented and experienced team he has ever coached, if he can't win it all with Jets 2021/22 team then lets see if someone else can.

I assumed that since they had to win the cup for Mo to keep his job, they must be the best team in the league.

Reactions: Jet and libertarian

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah that's a pretty high mark considering Tampa still exists and is still a much better team than we are top to bottom. There's a lot to like here with this team but I have to see the new pieces in action and how they fit, see where everyone is at coming into the year. Then I'll set my expectations. Going in cold I think this is a playoff team for sure. So my initial expectations are finish top 3 in the division.

I agree - we are a much better team.
I also agree that this is as far as I'll run with that narrative until I see how this all looks on the ice -
But I'm optimistic - :nod:

Reactions: AlaskaJet

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I assumed that since they had to win the cup for Mo to keep his job, they must be the best team in the league.

Mo has to win a cup because he's been the coach of the Jets for 8 years. His clock has run out. I say this as someone that really like Maurice and don't think he is a bad coach. I just think if Mo can't put it all together after 8 years it is time for someone else to give it a try.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Mo has to win a cup because he's been the coach of the Jets for 8 years. His clock has run out. I say this as someone that really like Maurice and don't think he is a bad coach. I just think if Mo can't put it all together after 8 years it is time for someone else to give it a try.
No one can win in Winnipeg. How long has it been since any Canadian team won a cup I imagine the answer longer than 8 years. That’s teams who are able to attract FA easier.
That’s not saying he’s good or bad just think it’s a bad way to measure.

Reactions: Klondiker98

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The teams who generally win have a group of drafted and developed guys with some depth sprinkled in.

Vas Hedman kuch point Stamkos the majority of the Tampa roster were players drafted by Tampa

Teams build through free agency? That's news to me. Ppl regret what they do during the frenzy more likely

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I lot of talk about Maurice in the Schmidt thread, but I think it is warranted. For the last couple of Days I've been wondering how much credit should Maurice get attracting players. Take Nate's situation for example. We all know Stastny was instrumental in convincing Nate to waive his NTC to join the Jets and it is on public record that Stastny loves playing for Maurice, going so far as telling young players how fortunate they are to have such a player friendly coach.

In Nate's interview after joining the Jets he mentioned Maurice a few times and how he was looking forward to playing for him and talked about how respected Maurice is among players across the league. While many fans hate Maurice, it appears to me at least his players love playing for him. I still don't think he is anything more than an average X's and O's guy, but I do think he has a very high emotional intelligence and knows how to treat his players like they want to be treated and consequently the men playing under him are very loyal to him. Bottom line Maurice is here until he has a season or 2 of his team drastically underachieving their talent level, and that has yet to happen so I expect him to be around for a very long time.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Having Stan on the 3rd pair took some of the heat off the need for Demolo down there.
Prior to that, it would have been BooBoo and Poolman - that would have been ugly.

1st pair is more important than 3rd. Poolman is a perfectly good 3RD. Even Beaulieu wasn't so bad playing against 3rd pair opponents but I would have been giving several of the young guys the opportunity to displace him.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
1st pair is more important than 3rd. Poolman is a perfectly good 3RD. Even Beaulieu wasn't so bad playing against 3rd pair opponents but I would have been giving several of the young guys the opportunity to displace him.

Yes it is - thanks for pointing that out ;)
Some would argue that having a tire fire anywhere within your pairings, will expose you -
The debate could be that balancing a really bad D line up vs stacking the top of a really bad D line up, is not a good idea - but you can certainly look at it both ways and not look like an idiot.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes it is - thanks for pointing that out ;)
Some would argue that having a tire fire anywhere within your pairings, will expose you -
The debate could be that balancing a really bad D line up vs stacking the top of a really bad D line up, is not a good idea - but you can certainly look at it both ways and not look like an idiot.
I agree with your perspective. In an ideal world you have 3 pairs that can over match most other teams 3 pairs at every point in the lineup. But it situations when you are grossly outmanned it is not necessarily a bad move to spread out the talent you do have in an attempt to avoid being too badly caved on any one of your pairings. An argument can be made either way, but it is a strategy with some merit.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I lot of talk about Maurice in the Schmidt thread, but I think it is warranted. For the last couple of Days I've been wondering how much credit should Maurice get attracting players. Take Nate's situation for example. We all know Stastny was instrumental in convincing Nate to waive his NTC to join the Jets and it is on public record that Stastny loves playing for Maurice, going so far as telling young players how fortunate they are to have such a player friendly coach.

In Nate's interview after joining the Jets he mentioned Maurice a few times and how he was looking forward to playing for him and talked about how respected Maurice is among players across the league. While many fans hate Maurice, it appears to me at least his players love playing for him. I still don't think he is anything more than an average X's and O's guy, but I do think he has a very high emotional intelligence and knows how to treat his players like they want to be treated and consequently the men playing under him are very loyal to him. Bottom line Maurice is here until he has a season or 2 of his team drastically underachieving their talent level, and that has yet to happen so I expect him to be around for a very long time.
Agree. If players hated playing for Maurice, or didn't have confidence in him, they wouldn't want to join the Jets. Stastny willingly came back to the Jets to play for Maurice. It suggests that he has confidence that Maurice knows what he's doing, and is a fair coach to play for. He would have conveyed a similar message to Schmidt as part of the pitch for him to waive his NTC.

Also, it's been a while since we've had the muckraking journalists bring up anything about the so-called "rift" in the Jets' locker-room. I guess Wheeler might not be the cancer that they liked to portray (probably because he was a bit surly with a couple of them).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree. If players hated playing for Maurice, or didn't have confidence in him, they wouldn't want to join the Jets. Stastny willingly came back to the Jets to play for Maurice. It suggests that he has confidence that Maurice knows what he's doing, and is a fair coach to play for. He would have conveyed a similar message to Schmidt as part of the pitch for him to waive his NTC.

Also, it's been a while since we've had the muckraking journalists bring up anything about the so-called "rift" in the Jets' locker-room. I guess Wheeler might not be the cancer that they liked to portray (probably because he was a bit surly with a couple of them).
In all honesty, I think the rift in the locker room has since been traded out of town.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Agree with the bolded, although I suspect some players like playing under him more than others. Vets, and Minnesotans come to mind.

I'm not sure how you judge and value one coaching skillset over others though -- does inspiring player loyalty more than make up for average or below-average tactical abilities? Does the reverse also hold? Isn't it possible to find both in the same person (Trotz, Cooper, Sullivan, undoubtedly others also)? If the guy with high EQ can get you to a conference final and no further, and the brilliant tactician can win you a cup even while alienating certain players, who do you go with?

I'm also not sure why only a team drastically underachieving gets a coach fired (I'm not saying that this is your own view). If a team consistently underachieves, a coaching change seems perfectly reasonable, especially when said team has pulled out all the stops and spent big to put everything in place for success.

I agree that only the end times are likely to result in s PoMo firing, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. If he gives a PC where he says something like "Fellas, I've spent the offseason reviewing each and every one of my roster and tactical decisions since 2019, following The Ehlers Plan, and I'm delighted to introduce the addition of Joe XsandOs to our coaching staff, who will take the reins on strategy while I continue to manage player relationships and media and Dave Lowry focuses on special teams, hell yeah. I think we'd see some real improvement and I'd be a happier fan.

But sure, he's good at what he's good at, and it can definitely come in handy at times.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with the bolded, although I suspect some players like playing under him more than others. Vets, and Minnesotans come to mind.

I'm not sure how you judge and value one coaching skillset over others though -- does inspiring player loyalty more than make up for average or below-average tactical abilities? Does the reverse also hold? Isn't it possible to find both in the same person (Trotz, Cooper, Sullivan, undoubtedly others also)? If the guy with high EQ can get you to a conference final and no further, and the brilliant tactician can win you a cup even while alienating certain players, who do you go with?

I'm also not sure why only a team drastically underachieving gets a coach fired (I'm not saying that this is your own view). If a team consistently underachieves, a coaching change seems perfectly reasonable, especially when said team has pulled out all the stops and spent big to put everything in place for success.

I agree that only the end times are likely to result in s PoMo firing, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. If he gives a PC where he says something like "Fellas, I've spent the offseason reviewing each and every one of my roster and tactical decisions since 2019, following The Ehlers Plan, and I'm delighted to introduce the addition of Joe XsandOs to our coaching staff, who will take the reins on strategy while I continue to manage player relationships and media and Dave Lowry focuses on special teams, hell yeah. I think we'd see some real improvement and I'd be a happier fan.

But sure, he's good at what he's good at, and it can definitely come in handy at times.
For me I'll hold back on any real criticisms of Maurice until he grossly underachieves the talent level he has to work with. This has yet to happen. More often than not his teams in the Jets organization have surpassed the talent level Chevy has assembled. IMO way too many fans get caught up in micro decisions more so than actual outcomes. This season we now have a major upgrade on defense and the bar will be adjusted higher. And I will judge Maurice with a higher bar. What I won't do is scream bloody murder if he makes a lineup decision I don't like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad