Confirmed with Link: Nate Schmidt to winnipeg for 2022 3RD

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
For me I'll hold back on any real criticisms of Maurice until he grossly underachieves the talent level he has to work with. This has yet to happen. More often than not his teams in the Jets organization have surpassed the talent level Chevy has assembled. IMO way too many fans get caught up in micro decisions more so than actual outcomes. This season we now have a major upgrade on defense and the bar will be adjusted higher. And I will judge Maurice with a higher bar. What I won't do is scream bloody murder if he makes a lineup decision I don't like.
Even if Beaulieuf slots in and Stanley sits...?

Reactions: FonRiesen

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
For me I'll hold back on any real criticisms of Maurice until he grossly underachieves the talent level he has to work with. This has yet to happen. More often than not his teams in the Jets organization have surpassed the talent level Chevy has assembled. IMO way too many fans get caught up in micro decisions more so than actual outcomes. This season we now have a major upgrade on defense and the bar will be adjusted higher. And I will judge Maurice with a higher bar. What I won't do is scream bloody murder if he makes a lineup decision I don't like.

Exactly. I don’t think there are too many here who would be disappointed with a 2nd round playoff loss to an eventual cup finalist if you told them that before the season last year. Especially looking at that defence..

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Even if Beaulieuf slots in and Stanley sits...?
No, because I won't have the full information to make an informed judgement. I never complain about day to day roster decisions. IMO it is just a fools game to complain about something when you don't have the information necessary. Sorry, but while I'm retired now, I spent the last decade of my career in senior management and saw far too many people complain away on matters they knew nothing about totally oblivious to the actual facts that lead to the decision.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Rentals value is usually in a pick and prospects which is pretty much what I expect for Copp.
Rentals are usually more valued at the trade deadline, because that's when contending teams are able to absorb their cap hit. If Copp's salary comes in around 4.5-5.0M, there won't be very many teams that will have enthusiasm to take him on for one year. Contending teams won't have the cap space, and non-contending teams don't want a 1-year player.

For Copp to return good trade value at this point, it would have to be from a team that sees him as a long-term player, I would think.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Rentals are usually more valued at the trade deadline, because that's when contending teams are able to absorb their cap hit. If Copp's salary comes in around 4.5-5.0M, there won't be very many teams that will have enthusiasm to take him on for one year. Contending teams won't have the cap space, and non-contending teams don't want a 1-year player.

For Copp to return good trade value at this point, it would have to be from a team that sees him as a long-term player, I would think.
More and more I'm seeing Copp as a problem that needs to be solved. Especially as I think he won't play the team friendly game and just work his way to UFA status.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
More and more I'm seeing Copp as a problem that needs to be solved. Especially as I think he won't play the team friendly game and just work his way to UFA status.
Having Copp for one year at a manageable cap hit, and losing him as a UFA isn't a terrible outcome for a team that is trying to contend. If he really enjoys the season, maybe he can be re-signed by the Jets as a UFA after next season. But if that happens, I think it will be through a negotiated 1-year contract, not through another grinding arbitration process.

I think it all depends on the trade market. If the Jets can only get a low value draft pick for Copp, then it's worth it to keep him for next year. If he can return a couple of 2nd round picks, or so, then maybe it makes sense to trade him now.

But it's pretty clear that the Jets are in "win now" mode, so if they think Copp can help them win this season, they might be willing to sign him for one season at a lower AAV, and risk having him walk next season.

Just for information - on a 1-year deal, Evolving Hockey projects Copp at around $3.7M. On a two-year deal, Copp is pegged at around $4M. If the Jets could get him on a deal in that range, I think that might be preferable to a trade, unless the trade market for him is really strong.

Reactions: Mathil8 and Jet

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Having Copp for one year at a manageable cap hit, and losing him as a UFA isn't a terrible outcome for a team that is trying to contend. If he really enjoys the season, maybe he can be re-signed by the Jets as a UFA after next season. But if that happens, I think it will be through a negotiated 1-year contract, not through another grinding arbitration process.

I think it all depends on the trade market. If the Jets can only get a low value draft pick for Copp, then it's worth it to keep him for next year. If he can return a couple of 2nd round picks, or so, then maybe it makes sense to trade him now.

But it's pretty clear that the Jets are in "win now" mode, so if they think Copp can help them win this season, they might be willing to sign him for one season at a lower AAV, and risk having him walk next season.

Just for information - on a 1-year deal, Evolving Hockey projects Copp at around $3.7M. On a two-year deal, Copp is pegged at around $4M. If the Jets could get him on a deal in that range, I think that might be preferable to a trade, unless the trade market for him is really strong.
IMO no way Copp bites on a 1 or 2 year deal unless it is well above what he can reasonably expect in arbitration. Instead he will just go to arbitration and then be gone next season.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
IMO no way Copp bites on a 1 or 2 year deal unless it is well above what he can reasonably expect in arbitration. Instead he will just go to arbitration and then be gone next season.

Agree. That would seem to be his best play, and as a smart, logical guy with experience of the arbitration process, I see him taking it.

I don't see a 4.5 million Copp on a 1-year rental as the smart Jets play.

Reactions: KingBogo

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I figured arbitration would give him $3.5 or so for one year. We need every penny we can get after bringing in Nate Dogg

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
A one-year deal may not be to his benefit. What if he takes a one-year deal and he gets 30 points next year? Then in the long run, he will end up losing money.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I disagree with this as emphatically as humanly possible. The only reason this team has "over-achieved" is Connor Hellebuyck. The talent wasn't great, but Mo had the team playing sub Detroit for most of the last two years. His goalie is the only reason he still has a job.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A one-year deal may not be to his benefit. What if he takes a one-year deal and he gets 30 points next year? Then in the long run, he will end up losing money.
Professional athletes are confident and competitive and usually bet on themselves. Not too often do you see them make decisions out of fear of failure.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I disagree with this as emphatically as humanly possible. The only reason this team has "over-achieved" is Connor Hellebuyck. The talent wasn't great, but Mo had the team playing sub Detroit for most of the last two years. His goalie is the only reason he still has a job.
People seem to forget/ignore that Hellebuyck was pretty bad for the first half of last season, the first two months of the season Hellebuyck had a .907 SV%, .800 HDSV%, -1.7 GSAA and a -4.5 HDGSAA.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Professional athletes are confident and competitive and usually bet on themselves. Not too often do you see them make decisions out of fear of failure.
Doesn't mean a one year deal won't cost him money.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Quoted for truth.

With average goaltending Maurice would have been long gone.

I do agree that players seem to enjoy playing for him though, maybe if he just became a leader of men with no say in x's and o's he could work as a coach but his systems have not been even near optimal imo.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

So you would say that Claude Noel was a fantastic coach then? He took a far inferior roster to decent metrics and was let down by goaltending.

Reactions: Imcanadianeh

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I lot of talk about Maurice in the Schmidt thread, but I think it is warranted. For the last couple of Days I've been wondering how much credit should Maurice get attracting players. Take Nate's situation for example. We all know Stastny was instrumental in convincing Nate to waive his NTC to join the Jets and it is on public record that Stastny loves playing for Maurice, going so far as telling young players how fortunate they are to have such a player friendly coach.

In Nate's interview after joining the Jets he mentioned Maurice a few times and how he was looking forward to playing for him and talked about how respected Maurice is among players across the league. While many fans hate Maurice, it appears to me at least his players love playing for him. I still don't think he is anything more than an average X's and O's guy, but I do think he has a very high emotional intelligence and knows how to treat his players like they want to be treated and consequently the men playing under him are very loyal to him. Bottom line Maurice is here until he has a season or 2 of his team drastically underachieving their talent level, and that has yet to happen so I expect him to be around for a very long time.
Great post

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->