Confirmed with Link: Nate Schmidt to winnipeg for 2022 3RD

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yup and JoMo is back to his excellent defensive play and link up play so Schmidt's warts aren't that big of a deal.
I haven't delved into his advanced stats much (Schmidt)....but even his defensive numbers look good, even with a handful of noticeable blunders.

Reactions: Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I haven't delved into his advanced stats much....but even his defensive numbers look good, even with a handful of noticeable blunders.

Yeah he's a positive across the board in the underlying metrics. It's been 10 games so those results are probably of some use now. He's fourth in XGF% behind Stanley, JoMo, and DeMelo.

So the pairing is doing its job well so far. As is the third pairing. Our second pairing and Blake and Mark seem to stand out in terms of the underlying metrics as all are in the mid 40's while pretty much everyone else is 50 and above.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
He reminds me of Buff a little. Especially how he handles the puck at the points. Has offensive instincts and agility but commits the occasional defensive gaffe. He's almost a fusion of Buff and Enstrom in that way. Buff ofcouse had that "power forward " streak in him that Schmidt doesn't have. Still early but he's looking not too shabby so far.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup at the risk of piling on Nate is an offensive weapon and very slick puck mover. He has his faults but he is clearly part of the solution when it comes to driving the speed of our game. Solid add to our top 4 and the room.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
this deal was going to be a steal for us right from the beginning. im probably super bias since i've been a fan of his since WSH, but guy has traditionally been one of the best puck-movers from the back-end in the nhl, an area/skill that basically all but Pionk lacked at quite a bit.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I just posted on Canucks forum, was he like this with them as well?

Yeah, he was solid when he was with us too. It's just that our dummy of a GM needed a scapegoat after last season so he swapped out Schmidt for OEL, at a higher cap hit and more years, all so that he could parade OEL as a shiny new toy that could turn around the team's fortunes. Another short-sighted move by our GM, but Canucks fans are use to it by now.

I'm glad you guys got Schmidt. You've always had a very well-managed team and I thought one of the only things missing was another top-4 defenseman. Hopefully, the stars align for you guys and you get a Stanley Cup while Wheeler is still effective.

Last edited:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Yeah, he was solid when he was with us too. It's just that our dummy of a GM needed a scapegoat after last season so he swapped out Schmidt for OEL, at a higher cap hit and more years, all so that he could parade OEL as a shiny new toy that could turn around the team's fortunes. Another short-sighted move by our GM, but Canucks fans are use to it by now.

I'm glad you guys got Schmidt. You've always had a very well-managed team and I thought one of the only things missing was another top-4 defenseman. Hopefully, the stars align for you guys and you get a Stanley Cup while Wheeler is still effective.
I more so meant the personality. He's been a fan favorite from day one.

Reactions: baronvonadam

None

Feb 22, 2012

I noticed last night while they were tired that the defensemen were really trying to stretch the ice off of Vancouver's dump ins (more than normal I though). It's a very welcome change to before where our defensemen needed forwards to help retrieve pucks and it was a mad scramble just to relieve pressure by flipping the puck out.

Schmidt's been a welcome addition and I'm not sure if he's solely responsible for Morrissey playing aggressive again but that quote about him telling Morrissey to play active during the pre-season has stuck with me.

Reactions: FonRiesen

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
It’s been a treat to watch how a defender plays his offwing. He doesn’t seem to be out of position and makes quick decisions
I find it more awkward to carry the puck and make passes on the offwing. Schmidt does a good job showing me how

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00