Confirmed with Link: Nate Schmidt to winnipeg for 2022 3RD

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
hedman = best defensemen in the league
kucherov= best winger in the league
point= top 10 center with 28 playoff goals the last two years
vasilevskiy= best goalie in the world
I get your point that you don't want to throw out alot of money to few players but tampabay is the worst example of this

You may be right, as I'm not sure of what they make, but I don't think their getting $ 10 plus mil per season. Whether their the best or not, I don't believe their all making "huge" money.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You may be right, as I'm not sure of what they make, but I don't think their getting $ 10 plus mil per season. Whether their the best or not, I don't believe their all making "huge" money.
2 of them made 9.5 last year and point just got extended for 9.5 hedman makes 7.875 and stamkos makes 8.5

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
2 of them made 9.5 last year and point just got extended for 9.5 hedman makes 7.875 and stamkos makes 8.5

Those guys are "worth" what their paid, but their Cap situation is tightening up a lot now. I just don't like it when guys like Karlson, Subban, Webber etc, get way overpaid and do nothing.

Tampa is a great team.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Can we keep Copp for this last year cap wise then move him out?

From what I've read, Copp says he'd like to resign here, but it will be a matter of money. He's a very reliable hard skater, and I'd go $ 4.5 mil on him -- maybe on the high side, but you get a 100 % effort.

I think he wants $ 5mil or maybe more ??

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
$6,867,021 WITH 3 RFA's to sign, Copp (LW3), Pionk (RD2) & Stanley LD3 with RW4 & G2 still needed.

View attachment 456837

That's likely it for Niku so add another $725,000. With the depth of LHD prospects on the farm, there's no need to be spending any money on a healthy scratch LHD.

At the latest he'll be traded, failing that waived during camp.

If this is accurate, all we have left on the Cap is $ 6.8 mil, we cannot possibly sign all these guys. Copp wants $ 5mil and Pionk will want $ 5.5 to $ 6mil, so something has to give here ?? as that's $ 10.5 mil right there.

Does this mean the Jets trade "both Copp and Pionk, as they have the defenseman to replace Pionk now, although I'd love to keep him.

I guess this is it for Ex Jet -- Mathew Perrault.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

If this is accurate, all we have left on the Cap is $ 6.8 mil, we cannot possibly sign all these guys. Copp wants $ 5mil and Pionk will want $ 5.5 to $ 6mil, so something has to give here ?? as that's $ 10.5 mil right there.

Does this mean the Jets trade "both Copp and Pionk, as they have the defenseman to replace Pionk now, although I'd love to keep him.

They have 6.8 before factoring in Little's LTIR, closer to 13M with. They won't push it to the max, but I think they'll find a way to keep both. They are loading up to compete now.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
They have 6.8 before factoring in Little's LTIR, closer to 13M with. They won't push it to the max, but I think they'll find a way to keep both. They are loading up to compete now.

Thanks for the clarification on that Truck -- so now this makes a lot of sense, with $13 mil, and a workable situation. :nod: Either way, sure looks like Copp will be gone -- it's very tight.

Reactions: libertarian

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I've been finagling with capfriendly and we can fit both Stanley and Pionk in on expected deals. Keep one of Ves/Gus and then send the other as welp as Samberg/Heinola to the minors and waive Beau and Niku to start the season and have two of Toninato/Suess/Luoto on the roster allows us to clear the deadline. Immediately after we send Little to LTIR and then we can call up the waiver eligibles that we want on the roster. I see zero room for Copp though.

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016

We would have to move out Beaulieus cap for Stanleys. 10 should be enough for coop 4m and 6m for pionk.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think Stanley will have a good year now that he will be playing with a good defenseman most of the time. We had 3 good defenseman last season to play with, Morrissey, Pionk and DeMelo the other 2 not so much. I still can't believe the contracts Forbort and Poolman got. :eek:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think Stanley will have a good year now that he will be playing with a good defenseman most of the time. We had 3 good defenseman last season to play with, Morrissey, Pionk and DeMelo the other 2 not so much. I still can't believe the contracts Forbort and Poolman got. :eek:

The problem with our D core last season was also that Josh spent too much of the season playing really bad too. I hate saying that but when he played with bad partners he really sucked too. The good news is he did seem better with DeMelo. The two players we drastically need to return to their prime form this season are Morrissey and Dubois. I think they both will, Josh has been able to play well with good partners in the past.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The problem with our D core last season was also that Josh spent too much of the season playing really bad too. I hate saying that but when he played with bad partners he really sucked too. The good news is he did seem better with DeMelo. The two players we drastically need to return to their prime form this season are Morrissey and Dubois. I think they both will, Josh has been able to play well with good partners in the past.

Honestly this season almost relies on 3 players. Dubois, Morrissey and Schmidt all 3 of them need to up their games to what they are capable of doing. If they do then we are a contender. If they don't then its gonna be tough.

Reactions: KingBogo

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

I'm very much liking what the Jets have done with the Schmidt, and Dillon signings. We now have a Cup contending team. Not sure if we have a Cup contending coach ??

The 2021/22 Jets will be the most talented, skilled and experienced team Maurice ever coached. If he can't win it all with this team he never will win a SC and he has to go.

That said I think Maurice will be history if the Jets cannot get past the 2nd round. If the Jets go to the final Maurice bought himself another year. The tricky part is if the Jets make it to the WCF and no further, I see Chevy giving him one more year but personally I think he should be fired if the Jets do not make the SCF.

Reactions: kanadalainen

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

I disagree with this I think Copp will be traded this off season or during training camp. Pionk will resign, I don't see Chevy fixing the blueline just to allow another hole in the D by trading Pionk.

Caveat: It is possible that Copp signs a 1 year deal at 3.5-4m and the Jet consider him a rental. TBH I have no issue with this strategy assuming Copp would go for it. Copp would have one more chance to win a cup with the Jets and no matter what happens this season he gets his big payday in FA next year.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Think your being a bit hard on Morrissey, Morrissey had Booboo as a partner on the 1st pairing during the season until Booboo got hurt, i think i'm better than Booboo. :laugh: Then a tonne of games with Poolman, Poolman is a 6 or 7th defenseman at best and now he's playing against the other teams best lines. Against Edmonton Morrissey and DeMelo were together and they shut down McDavid . Give Morrissey a decent partner to go against the other teams best and he does very well.

I blame Morrissey for his own faults. My issue with him is that he’s paid too much. 6.25 for a guy who doesn’t have enough bite to really compete. The body language when he doesn’t have a great partner is “I’m not really trying here”

Reactions: Channelcat

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Schmidt has typically been considered better than DeMelo and earlier this offseason there was talk about getting someone to play with Josh
Most signs are pointing to Morrissey - Schmidt
Also if they go Dillon - Schmidt, at $10M there's no way that's the bottom pairing and therefore Pionk would have to go on the bottom pairing

I don’t think Schmidt is Morrissey’s best matched partner. I like the idea of spreading out the talent and not running one guy 27+

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
Anyone else wonder why Vancouver would protect Schmidt only to flip him for a 3rd rounder? How devoid of talent is the Nuck system that they protect a guy to not lose a 3rd round pick? I mean they don't have another d-man anywhere that they value higher than that?

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad