Confirmed with Link: Nate Schmidt to winnipeg for 2022 3RD

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
So you would say that Claude Noel was a fantastic coach then? He took a far inferior roster to decent metrics and was let down by goaltending.
I wouldn't say he was fantastic, but he got more out of the team than I thought he would in year one and his deployment of GST was interesting.

Pavelec was a hot mess though. Noel wasn't dealt a strong hand or given a long leash.

Mo has had some good teams and this year's squad should be another.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Having Copp for one year at a manageable cap hit, and losing him as a UFA isn't a terrible outcome for a team that is trying to contend. If he really enjoys the season, maybe he can be re-signed by the Jets as a UFA after next season. But if that happens, I think it will be through a negotiated 1-year contract, not through another grinding arbitration process.

I think it all depends on the trade market. If the Jets can only get a low value draft pick for Copp, then it's worth it to keep him for next year. If he can return a couple of 2nd round picks, or so, then maybe it makes sense to trade him now.

But it's pretty clear that the Jets are in "win now" mode, so if they think Copp can help them win this season, they might be willing to sign him for one season at a lower AAV, and risk having him walk next season.

Just for information - on a 1-year deal, Evolving Hockey projects Copp at around $3.7M. On a two-year deal, Copp is pegged at around $4M. If the Jets could get him on a deal in that range, I think that might be preferable to a trade, unless the trade market for him is really strong.

On a personal level for Copp a 2 year deal might really benefit him. He'd come out the other side as a UFA with more clarity league-wide on where revenues and the cap are headed. Next off-season could be a bloodbath for those middle-class UFA's given the money that has gone out this year (most of the league is capped out for the forseeable future and will be scrambling for cap space the next couple off-seasons) and depending on the season he has this year he could be looking at a 1 year <2 mil deal anyway. His playoff numbers don't match those guys in his class that are getting the UFA bucks. Say he has a down regular season this year, I think a 2 year offer would be reasonable for both sides.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I disagree with this as emphatically as humanly possible. The only reason this team has "over-achieved" is Connor Hellebuyck. The talent wasn't great, but Mo had the team playing sub Detroit for most of the last two years. His goalie is the only reason he still has a job.
Disagree all you want. KingBogo's posts on this subject have been the most intelligent thing said in a long time around here.

It's crystal clear who here has actually had hands-on experience dealing with people and who just want to blame the coach.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just saw he's getting #88

Big fan of schmidts dating back to his wsh days. Admittedly didn't follow him Vancouver much. Think his offense and puck moving abilities will help this team alot. Idk if he's really the ideal fit for Morrissey tho. Think the knock on Schmidt is his defensive game, but maybe we play less defense with him on the top pair? :dunno:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Schmidt mentions maybe playing with Pionk and JMo playing the right side with Dillon?
I'd like Pionk and Dillon to be partners because they'd be so hard to play against.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Schmidt mentions maybe playing with Pionk and JMo playing the right side with Dillon?
I'd like Pionk and Dillon to be partners because they'd be so hard to play against.
i think Dillon-Pionk will be a real good pairing for us. Pionk had his best season with Derek frickin Forbort, and Dillon seems to be a giant upgrade over him.

i do think schmidt was brought in to play RD. But i would not mind seeing a Schmidt-Demelo pairing. The knock on him seems to be his defensive game, so idk if him and Morrissey would be a good pairing b/c of that with both being questionable defensively. Although, Schmidt's overall puck-moving/transition-game can help alleviate some of the time spent playing defense (think Ehlers for example_, something we haven't seen on the top pair for years now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
i think Dillon-Pionk will be a real good pairing for us. Pionk had his best season with Derek frickin Forbort, and Dillon seems to be a giant upgrade over him.

i do think schmidt was brought in to play RD. But i would not mind seeing a Schmidt-Demelo pairing. The knock on him seems to be his defensive game, so idk if him and Morrissey would be a good pairing b/c of that with both being questionable defensively. Although, Schmidt's overall puck-moving/transition-game can help alleviate some of the time spent playing defense (think Ehlers for example_, something we haven't seen on the top pair for years now.

Many (myself included) lament about Josh's partners for the last two seasons but Pionk was tossed to the wolves too. I know Forgort has a good 25 games to start the season but other than that Neil has had to endure pretty suboptimal partners. I think Dillon would be a substantial upgrade.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Many (myself included) lament about Josh's partners for the last two seasons but Pionk was tossed to the wolves too. I know Forgort has a good 25 games to start the season but other than that Neil has had to endure pretty suboptimal partners. I think Dillon would be a substantial upgrade.
yea forbort was good for like a month and then he was basically in the poolman, beaulieu, sbisa (man we've signed some shit dmen lol) tiers of suck. and dont forget Y1 pionk was playing with Sbisa or Kulikov most of the time.... dillon seems to be a big upgrade according to the stats over these guys.

im hyped to see Schmidt on this team though.

Reactions: Jets 31 and ps241

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm really excited to see what Pionk will do with a steady capable partner.

I guess I'm excited for the next season in general, actually.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

As of today our defense is way better than anytime last season. This season, Morrissey , Pionk, DeMelo , Dillon, Schmidt and Stanley. :thumbu: Last season, Morrissey, Pionk, DeMelo, Booboo , Forbort , and Poolman ...... :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Haven't been this excited since 2017. The fans are excited, the players all seem excited, the coaches and management are excited. Seems like all the negativity in the locker room is gone. And now we have a high skill and character guy like Schmidt who brings some energy and passion to the game. Hard to be negative about this team right now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I agree although we don’t have a strongest link (Buff) D configuration we have a really good weakest link D core (I borrowed that expression from the Athletic) BooBoo notwithstanding. I assume we will rebound but If we don’t rebound possession wise we have run out of excuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad