Confirmed with Link: Nate Schmidt to winnipeg for 2022 3RD

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The best part about bringing in Schmidt is now our entire starting six D core is full of competent defensemen. Assuming Beaulieu rides the pine, then we have no one who requires babysitting anymore:

Morrissey Schmidt
Dillon Pionk
Stanley DeMelo

All six are capable defenders, we no longer have to drag down folks like Morrissey by requiring them to carry garbage around. If Heinola is next man up ahead of Beaulieu, all the better. He might need some rookie insulating, but we have the horses to do that now and I think Heinola is good enough he doesn’t really need to be “propped up.”

No superstars, but having six guys (seven with Heinola) who know wtf they are doing is a HUGE improvement for us.

If Schmidt finds his Vegas form, so much the better.

Excited for the season to start!

Agreed, although it might still be a bit early to definitively call Stanley "competent" (remember at one point we thought Chiarot was going to be great)
It's even better if Heinola squeaks in somehow.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Based on that interview today, I think that if Schmidt ends up being anything even slightly above average, he's going to be a fan favourite. I can see him being the Chris Streveler of the Jets. He's also getting rave reviews from other Jets, and every one of them knows more about what Schmidt offers the team than any of us do.

As far as Stastny goes, given the things he said yesterday about Winnipeg being such a good fit for him and his family (not generally something a player says after signing a one-year contract with a pay cut), plus the recruiting he did for Schmidt, I have a strong hunch that this is going to be his last year playing, and that the Jets have offered him a position in the organization after retirement. He's saying all the right things, everybody loves and respects him, and he seems to have so much hockey sense.

The NHL doesn't have player/coaches anymore, but Stastny is about as close as it gets...and I'm more than fine with that.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Stanley is going to be a beast this year. More sheltered minutes. Other physical players on the d now. He has help in that area which is huge imo
I certainly think he's going to take a step up. I could tell that his confidence increased substantially from the beginning of last season to the end of the playoffs. He's going to come into training camp ready for that next step.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
This is a great video demonstrating Nates Athletic ability. He's gonna have a bounce back year.

Moreover, he'll be a nightmare for the VGK when we meet in the playoffs this year.

Hopefully Brossoit's in net that series.

Nate seems like a “bro”, which I can get behind. The interview won me over. Reminds me of Buff personality wise, but just way more accessible to the media. Probably gonna get a few good gifs/one-liners from this guy.

tbone1968

Sep 1, 2017
Texas hill country
I certainly think he's going to take a step up. I could tell that his confidence increased substantially from the beginning of last season to the end of the playoffs. He's going to come into training camp ready for that next step.
Agree 100%. I think the "sheltered" tag is coming off next season. I liked when he was making nice little plays in his own end to get the puck out, smashing guys and blowing a few pucks by Price.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
:huh:

What vibe are you getting from him other than personable and outgoing??
I was being purposely sarcastic (sometimes things are lost in translation when you make a post - my bad). In other words, I thought that he was very outgoing and enthusiastic and I think he will be a great addition to the locker room and a fan favorite.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Dillion in the pressbox?
Sorry hahaha

My mind is automatic Heinola.

Dillon should be in

The good thing here is Jets have a solid top 7 now.

I think if given a chance Heinola will be better sooner than later than most of the Jets Dmen. Which is good by the way...

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not even there in person talking to him and I can feel so much energy watching his interview. That does rub off and give team mates the good energy feels. I'm pumped for the season to start! Dillon seems like a great character guy too. Their presence will bring a lot to the team. Way to go Chevy!

Schmitty reminds me a bit of a blond Steve O from Jackass. His look, the way he talks and personality. lol

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Going against two top 3 players (One a generational player) on a line is going to lead to any pairing being outchanced especially when a good amount of that was playing behind the Scheifele line.

They did about as good a job as could be reasonably expected imo.

No kidding. Got outchanced playing against McDavid, no shit Sherlock :laugh:

Morrissey will be just fine now that he has a better partner lined up and we won't need to play him like he is a franchise dman

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm not even there in person talking to him and I can feel so much energy watching his interview. That does rub off and give team mates the good energy feels. I'm pumped for the season to start! Dillon seems like a great character guy too. Their presence will bring a lot to the team. Way to go Chevy!

Schmitty reminds me a bit of a blond Steve O from Jackass. His look, the way he talks and personality. lol
He hasn't met Wheeler yet.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So now our weakness is at forward :laugh:

I will say this, and that's if Cole Perfetti works out the way I think he will, we'll be very powerful offensively. Have not seen enough of him yet, but if he turns out near as good as Ehlers and Connor -- we're set up nicely.

Reactions: libertarian

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Honestly, I thought they would only go after one big D, so I wanted Hamilton.

But I totally am happy now, because Hamilton is about to get 8-10M with probably 5-7 years and NMC.

If you look at the big money signings for defenseman over the last 3 -5 years, and see guys like Karlson ( 12M ) Subban ( 10-11 MIL) Shea Webber ( a lot $$$)

NOTE -- All these guys do is throw out your Cap alignment, and you cannot build a team with depth, that's needed in today's NHL. I'd much rather have a lot more upper middle players -- like Tampa.

I'm very much liking what the Jets have done with the Schmidt, and Dillon signings. We now have a Cup contending team. Not sure if we have a Cup contending coach ??

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

If you look at the big money signings for defenseman over the last 3 -5 years, and see guys like Karlson ( 12M ) Subban ( 10-11 MIL) Shea Webber ( a lot $$$)

NOTE -- All these guys do is throw out your Cap alignment, and you cannot build a team with depth, that's needed in today's NHL. I'd much rather have a lot more upper middle players -- like Tampa.

I'm very much liking what the Jets have done with the Schmidt, and Dillon signings. We now have a Cup contending team. Not sure if we have a Cup contending coach ??
hedman = best defensemen in the league
kucherov= best winger in the league 9.5AAV
point= top 10 center with 28 playoff goals the last two years just signed for 9.5AAV
vasilevskiy= best goalie in the world 9.5AAV
I get your point that you don't want to throw out alot of money to few players but tampabay is the worst example of this

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: