Proposal: Nate McKinnon for Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There’s a lot of noise in this thread, a lot of Matthews fans trying to distract from the most important stat of all, the 97 actual points MacKinnon had this year. No projections, extrapolation, or advanced stats required. You guys want to hang a banner in air canada center because Matthews had the better sophomore season, go right ahead. But until Matthews has a season (at any age) that even comes close to the one MacKinnon just had, MacKinnon gets the benefit of the doubt here. Real points>>>>projections.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
We're all pretending goals are now the end all be all of production now because its a statistic that Matthews is good in.
No because even strength goals is the hardest category to produce in the league given Matthews QoC

And why do pools give 2 points for a goal and one for an assist...

Could it be that goals are harder than assists....

But Mac is super cute on the power play, he has a Mitch Marner like ceiling.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No because even strength goals is the hardest category to produce in the league given Matthews QoC

Hold the phone!?!? Fantasy league point structures are the answer to how hard it is to accomplish things in real life?

God damn I can’t wait to put my list of fantasy hockey league titles on my resume in my next job search.

Reactions: MacBradley

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Hold the phone!?!? Fantasy league point structures are the answer to how hard it is to accomplish things in real life?

God damn I can’t wait to put my list of fantasy hockey league titles on my resume in my next job search.

Ok, are assists as hard as even strength goals against league best competition.

You know, like starting goaltenders the kinds Mac seldom faced until last season?

Are base level fancy stats distinctions too difficult to fathom when even fantasy leagues can do it?

Are assists as difficult and impressive as even strength goals? Failed attempts at being clever aside is anyone up to answering a simple question?

Seven pages and I'm yet to read a response.

'Hold the phone' what a knee slapper.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
There’s a lot of noise in this thread, a lot of Matthews fans trying to distract from the most important stat of all, the 97 actual points MacKinnon had this year. No projections, extrapolation, or advanced stats required. You guys want to hang a banner in air canada center because Matthews had the better sophomore season, go right ahead. But until Matthews has a season (at any age) that even comes close to the one MacKinnon just had, MacKinnon gets the benefit of the doubt here. Real points>>>>projections.

Those points are less impressive when it's a massive outlier season by a long shot over a five year career.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ok, are assists as hard as even strength goals against league best competition.

You know, like starting goaltenders the kinds Mac seldom faced until last season?

Are base level fancy stats distinctions too difficult to fathom when even fantasy leagues can do it?

Are assists as difficult and impressive as even strength goals? Failed attempts at being clever aside is anyone up to answering a simple question?

Seven pages and I'm yet to read a response.

'Hold the phone' what a knee slapper.
I did answer that. You take away 20 assists from a player and that’s 20 less goals from the team. Just like if you take away 20 goals from a player it takes 20 goals away from the team.

As for your little fantasy sports point structure and how it’s so simple that even they make goals worth more than assists. They also make PP goals worth more than ES goals which you yourself stated isn’t really true. It’s kinda blowing my mind that I’m arguing with some guy trying to explain to me that fantasy sports leagues take a smarter approach to point structures than real life but if that’s really how you feel you completely contradict yourself considering ES points are much harder to generate than PP.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018

So you agree with my statement. Good of you to support it

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I did answer that. You take away 20 assists from a player and that’s 20 less goals from the team. Just like if you take away 20 goals from a player it takes 20 goals away from the team.

As for your little fantasy sports point structure and how it’s so simple that even they make goals worth more than assists. They also make PP goals worth more than ES goals which you yourself stated isn’t really true. It’s kinda blowing my mind that I’m arguing with some guy trying to explain to me that fantasy sports leagues take a smarter approach to point structures than real life but if that’s really how you feel you completely contradict yourself considering ES points are much harder to generate than PP.

No you're burning a strawman. Fancy stats standard is ES goals are the hardest category.

I said that even fantasy leagues grasp the simple distinction between goals and assists.

Never what I said hinged on fantasy league sports.

Simple distinctions remain beyond your grasp.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
You getting HFBoards failing to post reliably for you, too? Because your attempt to change what you said to make yourself sound less biased, invested, and antagonistic is funny.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
This thread is a skidmark on the underpants of HFBoards. I hope that all Avs fans will drop their arguing in here and leave leaf fans to beat their chests about Matthews by themselves, and perhaps the thread will die as it should

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Now you’re really reaching. Trying to somehow turn MacKinnon’s contact into a negative is ridiculous. It’s one of the very best contracts in the entire league.
For 5 years. Then how does it turn out? Apparently Colorado is in win now mode much more than the leafs despite having a worse team.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
For 5 years. Then how does it turn out? Apparently Colorado is in win now mode much more than the leafs despite having a worse team.
Like literally no one said any of that whatsoever. How thick can you guys get that you start making up arguments to feel attacked by?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Like literally no one said any of that whatsoever. How thick can you guys get that you start making up arguments to feel attacked by?
Ummm gee what’s the point of having the best contract in the league if you’re not gonna use it bud. Technically, Matthews entry level contract is waaayyy better than what Mackinnon is currently making. So currently Matthews has the better contract. After next year, Mack has a 4 year window when his contract will look better. Maybe if you guys bothered to analyze it you’d see it’s not much of an advantage.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Ummm gee what’s the point of having the best contract in the league if you’re not gonna use it bud. Technically, Matthews entry level contract is waaayyy better than what Mackinnon is currently making. So Mack has a 4 year window when his contract will be better. Maybe if you guys bothered to analyze it you’d see it’s not much of an advantage.
Please. Admit more how you literally made stuff up to feel attacked by.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Please. Admit more how you literally made stuff up to feel attacked by.
So am I making up the fact Matthews is currently on his entry level contract. Am I making up Mack only has four years when his contract looks better and after that Matthews will still be locked in for 5 more if he signs an 8 year deal?

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014

People need to f**in relax. Mackinnon is amazing and has 5 years in the nhl under his belt and Mathews only 2. Both will end up producing similar numbers in the end. Maybe one better this year and another better the following year. Shut this shi* thread down bc both are amazing and no trade needed.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Which season has more value: The rookie season or the most recent season?
In his second season he was over a point per game 63 in 62 games or something.
In his first season he was 69 points in 82gp

Im not a math teacher but if you do the calculations the 2nd season has a higher PPG which means a better season..?

Don't really see your point here besides saying the 2nd season is more valuable because its recent which i agree with but to say that shines any kind of negative light on matthews 1/2nd year is wrong because he improved.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
So am I making up the fact Matthews is currently on his entry level contract. Am I making up Mack only has four years when his contract looks better and after that Matthews will still be locked in for 5 more if he signs an 8 year deal?
Apparently Colorado is in win now mode much more than the leafs despite having a worse team.

:naughty:

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Just looking at their comparable stats its pretty black and white that matthews produced a higher rookie rate then Mackinnon did and an incredibly higher sophomore season ppg. And also higher face-off %.

Not saying he's a better player but the stats show at the same ages he most definitely was.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Those points are less impressive when it's a massive outlier season by a long shot over a five year career.

You hope it’s an outlier. Leaf fans seem to be about the only people on the planet that think a former first overall pick can’t break at out 22.

We re-sign him at the current market rate? I can’t really tell where you’re going with this. The next 5 years are still an incredible bargain regardless. Anyone without an extreme bias could see that.

And the Avs has just as much playoff success as the leafs did this year (effectively none), so I’d ease up a bit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad