Proposal: Nate McKinnon for Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
As a Leaf fan believe we would have to add more but Avalanche are not trading their franchise player!

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Colorado says no because they are comparable players but MacKinnon has arguably the best contract in the NHL.
I'm surprised a fellow habs fan like myself is actually for once saying that someone in the league has a better contract than Max Pac

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Neither team does this. Avs obviously for contract reasons, and the season that MacKinnon just had.

I don't think Leafs are trading Matthews for anyone sans McDavid either. MacKinnon had a bunch of very unimpressive seasons before this monster year. What is his true level is still a guestion mark.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I definitely do it if I'm Toronto (and I've done my research to know that Mac won't hold out or anything) due to both that contract and the fact that MacKinnon and Matthews will likely be separated by 10 points at most but both be 70+ point players every healthy season of their career. Getting five years of an elite first line centre at $6.3M is worth it to lose the younger player when that younger player won't be two steps better and has a contract coming up based on 2018-2019 salary cap.

I don't ever touch it if I'm Colorado. Matthews is approaching RFA, he has no emotional connection to Colorado since he wasn't drafted or developed there. He'd ask for a hefty raise. So you'd be paying a younger player more than you were paying the guy you had and it wouldn't be for a 20 point difference or Hart play vs. just a bunch of scoring.

I just don't see enough of a gap between players for it to be worth it for Colorado, even if you could guarantee that Matthews would outscore Mackinnon every season for the rest of their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad