Proposal: Nate McKinnon for Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nathan Mackinnon’s rookie season: 73 points in 89 games including playoffs.

Auston Matthews rookie season: 74 points in 88 games including playoffs.

Can everyone please stop acting like Matthews rookie season was so much better than Mackinnons. They’re almost identical except Matthews played his full rookie season at 19 years old while Mackinnon did it at 18.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015

Can everyone please stop acting like Matthews rookie season was so much better than Mackinnons. They’re almost identical except Matthews played his full rookie season at 19 years old while Mackinnon did it at 18.

Okay. Now why don’t you include goals?

Matthews scored 40. Much, much more impressive than Mack’s rookie year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Okay. Now why don’t you include goals?

Matthews scored 40. Much, much more impressive than Mack’s rookie year.
I did include goals. Points include goals. They also include assists.

Their rookie seasons are pretty much identical production wise but Mackinnon did it a full year younger.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I did include goals. Points include goals. They also include assists.

Their rookie seasons are pretty much identical production wise but Mackinnon did it a full year younger.

No, you clearly didn’t include goals. If you did, your post would be nonsensical.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
AKA, the stat Matthews is best in is now arbitrarily the most important part of comparing them because reasons

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014

Am I allowed to talk about their 2nd seasons?

How about I use MacKinnon's 3rd season to compare against Matthews' 2nd, since they were the same age. That should make you happy, right?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No, you clearly didn’t include goals. If you did, your post would be nonsensical.
I clearly did include goals.

If I said somebody had 100 PIM’s would you argue that I didn’t include fighting majors?

Points include goals. (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Am I allowed to talk about their 2nd seasons?

How about I use MacKinnon's 3rd season to compare against Matthews' 2nd, since they were the same age. That should make you happy, right?
You can compare whatever you want. I’m just talking about all the clowns saying It took Mackinnon 5 years to be able to do what Matthews did as a rookie when in fact Mackinnon did what Matthews did as a rookie a full year younger than Matthews.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I find it hilarious people keep saying Mackinnon's contract is so good. You realize the reason his contract is good is because he'll be a UFA earlier right? I'd easily rather have Matthews for 9 years than Mackinnon for 5 years and then face the unknowns of UFA status. Almost double the amount of time. The problem with getting no results for your first 5 seasons, the length of your contract shortens when you start showing value. Leafs will have Matthews locked in for 9 years and it gives them a much much greater cup window.

Now you’re really reaching. Trying to somehow turn MacKinnon’s contact into a negative is ridiculous. It’s one of the very best contracts in the entire league.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
You can compare whatever you want. I’m just talking about all the clowns saying It took Mackinnon 5 years to be able to do what Matthews did as a rookie when in fact Mackinnon did what Matthews did as a rookie a full year younger than Matthews.
when did MacKinnon score 40 goals?

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I clearly did include goals.

If I said somebody had 100 PIM’s would you argue that I didn’t include fighting majors?

Points include goals. Don’t be an idiot.

Show me where you said Matthews scored 40 goals. That is a heck of a better accomplishment than 23.

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto

Okay... let’s do it by age then...

NM @19 64GP 14G 24A 38P
AM @19 82GP 40G 29A 69P

Or... we could do it by draft year...

NM D+2 64GP 14G 24A 38P
AM D+2 62GP 34G 29A 63P

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
[MOD]
And Mackinnon’s 47 assists are a much better accomplishment than Matthews 30.

Points. I said points. Which include both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This thread still going on?
It’s a scratch and sniff thread. From the moment I clicked in here something smelled fishy.
In the future OP, could you use Buffalo or another team to get your internet jollies. Thanks.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The reason that Mackinnon has such a good contract; is because he had a lot of bad years... Matthews way more dominant after 2 years AINEC

Reactions: marty111

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

NM @19 64GP 14G 24A 38P
AM @19 82GP 40G 29A 69P

NM D+2 64GP 14G 24A 38P
AM D+2 62GP 34G 29A 63P
What are you even arguing?

I’m well aware of their seasons. Auston Matthews 2 seasons have been incredible. Much better than any of Mackinnon’s other than the first and most recent.

I’m not arguing they’ve been comparable their entire careers. I’m simply responding to those who continuously say it took Mackinnon 5 years to ever have a season as good as Matthews since that is simply incorrect. They both had near identical rookie seasons.

That doesn’t mean Mackinnon is better now, was better through his first few seasons or will be better long term. It means it didn’t take him 5 years to match any of Matthews first two seasons. He did it the first year he was in the league. I only mentioned the 18 year old thing to show just how impressive Mackinnon’s rookie year was which for some reason seems to be unforgotton on here.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

NM @19 64GP 14G 24A 38P
AM @19 82GP 40G 29A 69P

NM D+2 64GP 14G 24A 38P
AM D+2 62GP 34G 29A 63P

I’m well aware of their seasons. Auston Matthews 2 seasons have been incredible. Much better than any of Mackinnon’s other than the first and most recent.

I’m not arguing they’ve been comparable their entire careers. I’m simply responding to those who continuously say it took Mackinnon 5 years to ever have a season as good as Matthews since that is simply incorrect. They both had near identical rookie seasons.

That doesn’t mean Mackinnon is better now, was better through his first few seasons or will be better long term. It means it didn’t take him 5 years to match any of Matthews first two seasons. He did it the first year he was in the league. I only mentioned the 18 year old thing to show just how impressive Mackinnon’s rookie year was which for some reason seems to be unforgotton on here.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This thread still going on?
It’s a scratch and sniff thread. From the moment I clicked in here something smelled fishy.
In the future OP, could you use Buffalo or another team to get your internet jollies. Thanks.
Agreed. This could be Eichel for Mak. Ir Barzal...mix it up a little.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

NM @19 64GP 14G 24A 38P
AM @19 82GP 40G 29A 69P

NM D+2 64GP 14G 24A 38P
AM D+2 62GP 34G 29A 63P

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018

I'd like to point out you can win hockey games with no assists, but you can win without any goals. So goals are more valuable then assists. Not saying assists aren't important, but owls are more valuable

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018

Just want to point out, you can win games without assists. You can't win without goals. Not saying assists are valuable, just goals are in fact more important

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd like to point out you can win hockey games with no assists, but you can win without any goals. So goals are more valuable then assists. Not saying assists aren't important, but owls are more valuable
If a guy has 47 assists and you remove those 47 passes he made that lead to goals, those goals don’t happen.

Yes a goal is the direct action that leads to adding one on the scoreboard and if you take away 20 goals frim a player it also takes away 20 goals from the team. But if you take away 20 assists from a player that also takes away 20 goals from a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad