Name your top 5 players right now

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Past season: 2nd
Past two seasons: 9th
Past three seasons: 10th (tied with Ovie)
Past four seasons: 10th (tied with Seguin)
Past five seasons: 5th
Past six seasons: 5th
Past seven seasons: 2nd
Past Eight seasons: 2nd

The guy hasn't fell out of the top 10 in scoring in any of those time frames despite having two injury riddled down years. He's the most underrated guy in the league and frankly it's a joke Mackinnon is on more lists and Matthews is even mentioned before him. He should be on half if not all list, there's only two players that are clearly better than him.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Giroux
4. Kucherov
5. MacKinnon/Malkin (interchangeable)

We're speaking of "right now" it surprises me how nobody has mentioned Claude Giroux, he finished just second to McDavid with 102 points this past season.

This is why you watch the games and not just stat watch. Giroux isn't a top 5 player, he doesn't have the game breaking ability that other better guys do.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I can't argue against that. You are right.

But I still think Sid is more dominant all-round, as is Kucherov, when they're fully engaged. Sid had an off year IMO to an extent because of the long year prior (including playoffs).

I don't know, I still don't get McDavid. I just don't. I can go to youtube and watch endless videos of Sid being exceptionally dominant in every respect, but then when it comes to McDavid it's mostly about his blinding speed.

Heck, I'm going to go back and rank him ahead of Kucherov. I'll give him that. Kuch had an average 2nd half of season.

McDavid is creating scoring chances every shift. What makes him special isn't his skating, it's how he handles the puck and processes plays at that speed.

Sit down and think about it for a second. It's significantly harder to think and then react the faster you move...

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He's declined less than Crosby and just had 98 points. They may be 31 and 32 now but they're both still top 5 players (top 3 imo).

Crosby actually outscored Malkin by 4 points last year when playoffs are included (in seven more games). Last season was the first year since 2011/12 that Malkin either outscored Crosby or had a better PPG.

I don't think you can conclude that Crosby has declined. You can conclude that he has reason to not care about the regular season other than to try to position the Pens for a Cup run.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby actually outscored Malkin by 4 points last year when playoffs are included (in seven more games). Last season was the first year since 2011/12 that Malkin either outscored Crosby or had a better PPG.

I don't think you can conclude that Crosby has declined. You can conclude that he has reason to not care about the regular season other than to try to position the Pens for a Cup run.
They've both declined, i think that is obvious and just a fact of life as they're in their 30s now. They're slower and don't produce quite as much. Both obviously still elite and top 5 but they're past their peak. But imo Malkin's skating is closer to his peak level than Crosby's is.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
McDavid is the fastest in the league. He's the best at speed. IMO he's not the best at anything else. IMO it's still Sid the Kid. And then Kucherov.

How is one guy who's only "fast" winning so many awards the last 2 years? Larkin is fast, AA is fast, Kessel is fast, Grabner is very fast.

How come none of them win the Art Ross? (Or even come close)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00