Name your top 5 players right now

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Exactly. If Giroux can put up another couple of 85+ point seasons, then you'll see him on these lists. But I can't think of any situation where someone would be considered Top 5 when 2 of the past 3 seasons saw production of 58 and 67 points.
Kind of like Malkin? :sarcasm:

See, I just found that situation for you. :)

My choices would be...

McDavid
Crosby

Ovechkin

Doughty
Malkin

... and there are about 3 other players I could throw into the Doughty/Malkin tier.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
  1. McDavid
  2. Crosby
  3. Malkin
  4. Ovechkin
  5. Doughty
HM: Kucherov, Karlsson

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't agree with Malkin ever being "much much better" from 2011 to present they've been pretty similar offensively, giroux easily better defensively.

It's debatable who's better

Really? Care to pull up the numbers? Go ahead and pull up playoffs too while you’re at it...

McDavid
Karlsson
Crosby
Malkin
Hedman

I’m curious; last summer, you said Hedman was better than Karlsson. What changed your opinion?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
But he has more PPG seasons than most everyone on the list. 2nd most points in the NHL this decade.... in the last 8 years... that's not enough? I guess last two injury riddled years are more in line with what he really is.

Typically, players are judged on their most recent seasons. Three seasons tends to be what most use as it's recent, but also enough to remove any potential outlier (ie. one anomalous good or bad year).

Giroux's had two really mediocre years prior to last year. That's going to put him below players who've been very good during that same stretch.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Karlsson
4. Malkin
5. Kucherov

Ovechkin?

I know your not the only one.

I mean it’s funny how he doesent pop up due to the stigma whether it’s North America>Russia

Center>winger

Playoff success>>>oh wait

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Ovechkin?
Is great but doesn’t crack my top 5, I actually debated taking Doughty/Hedman over Kucherov too who’s definitely been better than Ovechkin the past couple years.

Crosby and McDavid are clearly ahead of Ovechkin.

Malkin has out produced Ovechkin by a decent margin the past two seasons. Karlsson is probably the “wild card” as he had a fairly poor season, but you’re looking at a generational defender who probably should have won the Norris trophy 3 times in a row before the subpar season.

Steeze

Dazed Dilettante.
Jul 23, 2015
Marner
Matthews
Nylander
Kapanen
Hyman

What makes that list even funnier is that you're probably one of those people that complains when Leaf players get brought up in every thread.

McDavid
Malkin
Kopitar
Hedman
Karlsson

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00