Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Giroux
4. Kucherov
5. MacKinnon/Malkin (interchangeable)

We're speaking of "right now" it surprises me how nobody has mentioned Claude Giroux, he finished just second to McDavid with 102 points this past season.

Sure, but why is he ahead of Malkin, who finished with 98 points and a higher points per game to go along with a much longer track record of being a much, much better player?

Giroux had one season where he scored over 100 points and he disappeared in the playoffs in that same season. Most of these other guys are at the top of the league year in and year out.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Giroux
4. Kucherov
5. MacKinnon/Malkin (interchangeable)

We're speaking of "right now" it surprises me how nobody has mentioned Claude Giroux, he finished just second to McDavid with 102 points this past season.

Giroux, for whatever reason, just does not get a lot of love from neutral fans or national media. I mean, the guy has more points than anyone not named Sidney Crosby the last 6 years. I think part of it is lack of playoff success. The Flyers haven't won a playoff series in 6 years. I think a deep run or two will get Giroux the respect he deserves.

Reactions: Bruckuss

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Giroux, for whatever reason, just does not get a lot of love from neutral fans or national media. I mean, the guy has more points than anyone not named Sidney Crosby the last 6 years. I think part of it is lack of playoff success. The Flyers haven't won a playoff series in 6 years. I think a deep run or two will get Giroux the respect he deserves.

It's because the two years before his 102 point season he had 58 points and 67 points in full seasons. Pretty obvious why he's not listed in the top 5 of most peoples' lists.

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Kucherov
Doughty

That's my list in order.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
McDavid
Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin
Karlsson/Hedman/Doughty Like a three headed monster for me

can't separate the three, my next guy would be Kopitar.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's because the two years before his 102 point season he had 58 points and 67 points in full seasons. Pretty obvious why he's not listed in the top 5 of most peoples' lists.

Exactly. If Giroux can put up another couple of 85+ point seasons, then you'll see him on these lists. But I can't think of any situation where someone would be considered Top 5 when 2 of the past 3 seasons saw production of 58 and 67 points.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Exactly. If Giroux can put up another couple of 85+ point seasons, then you'll see him on these lists. But I can't think of any situation where someone would be considered Top 5 when 2 of the past 3 seasons saw production of 58 and 67 points.
But he has more PPG seasons than most everyone on the list. 2nd most points in the NHL this decade.... in the last 8 years... that's not enough? I guess last two injury riddled years are more in line with what he really is.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Sure, but why is he ahead of Malkin, who finished with 98 points and a higher points per game to go along with a much longer track record of being a much, much better player?

Giroux had one season where he scored over 100 points and he disappeared in the playoffs in that same season. Most of these other guys are at the top of the league year in and year out.
I don't agree with Malkin ever being "much much better" from 2011 to present they've been pretty similar offensively, giroux easily better defensively.

It's debatable who's better

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
1. Crosby
2. McDavid
3. Kucherov
4. Ovechkin
5. Malkin

*edit - I decided to change my order and put Connor ahead of Kuch. That's fair.

Massive Crosby fan, always have been, always will be. He's my generations Gretzky/Lemieux. There is zero argument for Sid over Connor heading into next season. Torch has already been passed and the discrepancy will only grow from now on.

Top 5

1) McDavid
2) Crosby
3) Karlsson
4) Doughty
5) (wildcard.) Kopitar... Doesn't get enough credit. He's Mats Sundin with elite D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad