Name your top 5 players right now

crosby87

Oct 15, 2017
How is one guy who's only "fast" winning so many awards the last 2 years? Larkin is fast, AA is fast, Kessel is fast, Grabner is very fast.

How come none of them win the Art Ross? (Or even come close)
he never said hes only fast. He said that hes the best at being fast, but not the best at anything else(which means he can be very good in other things still).

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
This is funny. By watching the game you learn giroux does a lot more than any of the top 10 scorers do outside of scoring. He's the most complete forward in the top 10 along with Kopitar
So good at everything outside of scoring that he got moved to wing. Definitely adds up.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Past season: 2nd
Past two seasons: 9th
Past three seasons: 10th (tied with Ovie)
Past four seasons: 10th (tied with Seguin)
Past five seasons: 5th
Past six seasons: 5th
Past seven seasons: 2nd
Past Eight seasons: 2nd

The guy hasn't fell out of the top 10 in scoring in any of those time frames despite having two injury riddled down years. He's the most underrated guy in the league and frankly it's a joke Mackinnon is on more lists and Matthews is even mentioned before him. He should be on half if not all list, there's only two players that are clearly better than him.
"Injury riddled"- has missed 10 games in the last decade. Giroux is a bum now, he was invisible last playoffs as he can no longer create space for himself 5v5.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
McDavid
Crosby
Karlsson
Malkin
Matthews
Which one is not like the others? That would be Matthews.

McDavid
Crosby
Ovechkin
Karlsson
Kucherov

The top two are obvious. McDavid is untouchable, IMO. This is not a Crosby / Ovie situation. He's alone at the top. Crosby is still one of the kings. One can argue about the 3-5 spots. Hard not to put Ovie in. Karlsson, despite his injury issues, is a top 5 player in my opinion. Kucherov is the second most dynamic young player in the league. If he shoots more, and doesn't try to set up his buddy Stamkos so much - watch out. Honorable mention to Malkin.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
he never said hes only fast. He said that hes the best at being fast, but not the best at anything else(which means he can be very good in other things still).
There's around a dozen players in the NHL with skating speed similar to McDavid's. What really sets McDavid apart is his ability to execute and process at that top speed, extreme agility and lateral movement, ability to change his speed on a whim, ridiculously impressive puck control etc.

He has arguably the best hands and the best skating in the league. How many players in NHL history could claim that?

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I can't argue against that. You are right.

But I still think Sid is more dominant all-round, as is Kucherov, when they're fully engaged. Sid had an off year IMO to an extent because of the long year prior (including playoffs).

I don't know, I still don't get McDavid. I just don't. I can go to youtube and watch endless videos of Sid being exceptionally dominant in every respect, but then when it comes to McDavid it's mostly about his blinding speed.

Heck, I'm going to go back and rank him ahead of Kucherov. I'll give him that. Kuch had an average 2nd half of season.
it's because mcdavid makes it look so easy. it's not usually a hard foigug battle hell just blow past you lol

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
In what world is a guy who finishes second is scoring now a "bum"?
When your name is Claude Giroux. The Flyers used a more aggressive system this year where they would have one of their wingers kind of cheat up ice to stretch out the defense, leading to more odd man situations where Giroux can still excel. Of course, in the playoffs the Penguins actually gameplanned for the Flyers and shut that transition strategy down, so Giroux was invisible.

Reactions: Voight

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Karlsson
4. Kucherov
5a. Malkin
5b. Doughty

I think top defensemen tend to get a bit under-rated compared to top forwards. They have a much tougher overall job, IMO, and deserve more credit, even if and when they don't put up 80+ points season after season.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
McDavid MacKinnon Crosby Marchand Doughty get my votes. Could add in Kane Kucherov Malkin Hedman Tavares and a few other easily and it works as well..

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Nope. Miles Wood is an extremely fast skater, but McDavid is the epitome of skating perfection. There is nobody in the league that is as good/fast of a skater as McDavid.

Love to see him race Larkin head to head.Nobody really knows unless they went head to head in a straight line. .

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
When your name is Claude Giroux. The Flyers used a more aggressive system this year where they would have one of their wingers kind of cheat up ice to stretch out the defense, leading to more odd man situations where Giroux can still excel. Of course, in the playoffs the Penguins actually gameplanned for the Flyers and shut that transition strategy down, so Giroux was invisible.

If all it takes is a player to cheat up the ice a little to get 100pts then why doesnt everyone do it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->