Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TBL] Jonathan Drouin + cond. 2018 6th for Mikhail Sergachev + cond. 2018 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Hope sergachev doesnt become another McDonagh trade.
Drouin does have tons of talent at least.

In the case of McDonagh, it didn't matter if he had developed into a "nothing player" as the return was Gomez and his $7.2M/yr contract. You didn't have to wait and see what happened with McDonagh to know that this was a bad deal that handcuffed the Habs against the salary cap without getting much benefit from the player they got in return.

Drouin/Sergachev is much more likely to be a deal where, in the end, both teams will be happy with the return as they each got what they wanted/needed.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I have a feeling this is one of those trades where a future great young prospect is traded for guy who is going to a team where it just won't work out. I would bet the Montreal fanbase will be cursing this trade for years to come.

Well, Im against that trade personally since I think Sergachev is going to be great and Im not sure what Bergevin's vision really is, but one thing I have basically no doubt about is that Drouin is going to be very good for the Habs, he will help our offense alot, Im just wondering at this point what is better for the Habs Radu + Sergachev or Drouin - Sergachev.. Why not just throw the money and term Radu wanted instead?

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I understand that Montreal needs offense, but Sergachav would have been a number one defensemen in Montreal. That's not even a hot take, I imagine. Kid just dominated in the Memorial Cup with a five tools skillset few blueliners in this league truly possess. You have to give to get, but Juulsen isn't on Sergachev's planet - looks like Bergevin lit the blueline farm on fire for this one. Could be wrong, but that's my neutral fan observations.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Well, Im against that trade personally since I think Sergachev is going to be great and Im not sure what Bergevin's vision really is, but one thing I have basically no doubt about is that Drouin is going to be very good for the Habs, he will help our offense alot, Im just wondering at this point what is better for the Habs Radu + Sergachev or Drouin - Sergachev.. Why not just throw the money and term Radu wanted instead?

That's a fair statement and even if they resign Radulov you're still looking at Drouin, Gally and Radu which are all wingers.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal won't be as boring to watch now, Drouin can be a human highlight reel when he's at his best.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
All depends on what Serg does at NHL level. This trade screams Habs robbery but there are many moving parts to what happened here.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
I understand that Montreal needs offense, but Sergachav would have been a number one defensemen in Montreal. That's not even a hot take, I imagine. Kid just dominated in the Memorial Cup with a five tools skillset few blueliners in this league truly possess. You have to give to get, but Juulsen isn't on Sergachev's planet - looks like Bergevin lit the blueline farm on fire for this one. Could be wrong, but that's my neutral fan observations.

That's just peachy. Fine time to fill us in on Sergachev!!! Why the heck didn't you tell us yesterday, before the trade!!!?!?!?

:laugh:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Love this trade for the Habs. My gosh.

Sergachev although dman of the year, vastly overrated on this forum, with the reason of using him as a weapon of saying Vancouver made the wrong choice at number 5, vastly overrated. Wasn't even that good during the OHL playoffs. LOL at the member saying he is Sergei Zubov in the making.

Habs wins trade hands down.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
All depends on what Serg does at NHL level. This trade screams Habs robbery but there are many moving parts to what happened here.

in before Drouin couldn't handle QC media and has a beef with the management.

Also, I guess Radulov is gone?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Habs pretty much just traded Sergachev for Drouin to fill in Radulov's position. :laugh:

Damn good player, but Drouin has never played centre in his life. I don't see how Habs get better unless they re-sign Radulov which seems like it won't happen based on the last reports by LeBrun. And even then they still haven't gotten a centre.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Does anyone think Serg going to step in right away this season? Or is he going to stay in the minors and develop?

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Does anyone think is Serg going to step in right away this season? Or is he going to stay in the minors and develop?

Didn't look anywhere near ready in his short stint last season... He has the skills to play in the NHL, but he struggled to keep up with the NHL pace. Decision making just wasn't up to par. Granted, it could have been just nerves.

He has matured for a year now, and he could be ready this season, definitely.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
in before Drouin couldn't handle QC media and has a beef with the management.

Also, I guess Radulov is gone?

Good, he'd cost too much, Drouin will be far superior to Radulov ever was.

trooper66

Jun 28, 2008
Alberta
Everyone knows that the habs need scoring. I just think they may have jumped the gun with this trade considering the track record of drouin. But who knows he is still a kid. They surely gave up a high end prospect for him. Risk trade for the habs and great future trade for Tampa I think

OriginalCanadian

May 13, 2015
The Hammer
Everyone knows that the habs need scoring. I just think they may have jumped the gun with this trade considering the track record of drouin. But who knows he is still a kid. They surely gave up a high end prospect for him. Risk trade for the habs and great future trade for Tampa I think

Wouldn't the risk be on TB? Serge could just as easily bust

trooper66

Jun 28, 2008
Alberta
Wouldn't the risk be on TB? Serge could just as easily bust

Very true.
But with TB needing to pull off a trade for cap issues and or expansion reasons this was definitely the trade to make right now.

Who knows but I feel like this is a trade Montreal did not need to make unlike TB
He is still only young and a lot of talent though

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Very true.
But with TB needing to pull off a trade for cap issues and or expansion reasons this was definitely the trade to make right now.

Who knows but I feel like this is a trade Montreal did not need to make unlike TB
He is still only young and a lot of talent though

Prett much this.

While Drouin is an amazing talent, I would think Montréal maybe should've sorted out the center position first. Something might be in the workings there as well, though.

Oct 18, 2011

That d core is really bad

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
This post will probably be ignored, but Drouin simply is just not a center. Tampa Bay's C depth was depleted with injuries this season to the point where they had to put rookies Brayden Point and Yanni Gourde in there. Despite being desperate for C, they still didn't shift Drouin over to the middle.

This was their go-to lineup for basically that entire final stretch of the season during when Stamkos/Johnson were injured and Boyle traded.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
If the Habs offered this contract as an offersheet, would TB have matched or taken the compensation? Just thought I'd rather have kept Sergachev and offered that contract as an offersheet considering that the Habs should not draft too early over the next couple of years. I get that with the expansion draft, he'd probably have been traded somewhere else, but assuming he remained a TB player on july 1st, what would have been TB's decision? I apologize if this has already been asked and answered.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This post will probably be ignored, but Drouin simply is just not a center. Tampa Bay's C depth was depleted with injuries this season to the point where they had to put rookies Brayden Point and Yanni Gourde in there. Despite being desperate for C, they still didn't shift Drouin over to the middle.

This was their go-to lineup for basically that entire final stretch of the season during when Stamkos/Johnson were injured and Boyle traded.

I don't think anyone thinks Drouin is a center.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like Sergachev, if he turns into a good 1D this works out fine for Tampa, and that's definitely a possibility. With that being said ... very risky deal for Tampa. Drouin looks like a nearly guaranteed franchise winger to me, if Sergachev doesn't pan out they lose this deal BIG TIME. Best case scenario, it's a slight win for Tampa, but worst case scenario it's a huge loss.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This trade fills a need for both teams if Drouin is able to become a center in the NHL. I really like this from Tampa's perspective, because they gave up a malcontent that they would have had to protect in the expansion draft for a really good Blue Chip defensive prospect that is draft exempt. The Habs also get their French Canadian superstar they can market the **** out of. Only problem is that D the Habs run now is pretty abysmal. Jeff Petry is your 2nd best D. That's harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad