Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TBL] Jonathan Drouin + cond. 2018 6th for Mikhail Sergachev + cond. 2018 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm going to throw in my 2 nickels on this trade.

I have first hand experience with Drouin being a *********.

I have Mooseheads season tickets. After many games, we watched Drouin push past little kids looking for an autograph.

Drouin is not just a selfish player (me first), but he is not a good person. He is a rich, self entitled player who is not a team guy and only thinks about himself and as we all know, he is not a team player and a cancer in the locker room.

Why Montreal would do this is beyond me. Yea, I am a leaf fan but after that, want all Canadian teams to succeed and IMO, Drouin should be kept south of the border.

Sergachev is a budding star. Just a matter of a season or two. He will likely get lots of ice this year playing with Hedman.

Sorry Habs fans, Montreal got totally fleeced on this one. The second something doesn't go right for Drouin in Montreal, he will do and say things that normal players don't do or say.

Montreal, you will learn quickly to hate this guy like most of Halifax did.

We tried to get an autograph from Claude Lemieux as an Avalanche when they played in Calgary
He told us to F-off..never gave us one.:laugh:
Funny thing was Joe Sakic was standing beside him,came over and signed our hat...:laugh:

We all laughed...

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This is a good post but I think you can be happy with the trade and still have concerns over how they will fill the holes in their lineup.

A 1C is hard to aquire and using assets that could be used to land one for an albiet potentially elite winger seems strange.

Again I think it is a good trade from both teams as far as value is concerned and might even benefit Montreal there but the fact that they are still without a true #1 center has to be a bit frustrating for Habs fans.

That is it right there though. They're hard to acquire because there probably are none available right now.

Canadiens need to do whatever it takes to develop Galchenyuk into a top flight center.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Sergachev has all the tools to become an elite defenseman at the NHL level, I would say that he possesses higher ceiling than Drouin, I can envisioning him becoming the complete package who excels in all three zones. At the opposite, mainly due to his size, Drouin is more restricted in a purely offensive role. Sergachev has the size, the speed, the shot, the IQ and you can add to that exceptional work ethic, he is anything you can desire in a NHL Dman. That being said, Dmen take longer to develop, so are harder to project, he is going to become a good NHL player for sure, however reaching the elite status never is guarantee. From Drouin side, he isn't as complete as Sergachev could be, however he excels more in his strengths, his offensive IQ and puck skill are completely off the chart, very few player can create offense like Drouin can do, if he could only put up half the numbers he did in the QMJHL at the NHL level, Drouin would be one of the most productive forward in the NHL (Last season in the Q: Reg. season+Playoff+MCup: 66-43-115-158 -50%-> 66-22-57-79).

All in all, it seems like a pretty even deal that makes sense for both sides with each team addressing one of their bigger need, TB got a bit higher ceiling in Sergachev and MTL got a bit more guaranteed value in a older and more proven young NHL player. Like for any deal, only time will tell who got the short end of the stick.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
what is Montreals prospect pool now? They couldn't shoe horn it into the top15 before this? Bahaha!

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
That is it right there though. They're hard to acquire because there probably are none available right now.

Canadiens need to do whatever it takes to develop Galchenyuk into a top flight center.

I suppose. I mean there are some rumblings of some decent centers such as RNH and Duchene. Hell even guys like Stepan would be an upgrade.

The first couple you can basically say goodbye to them as a mid 1st pick is not going to be near enough. Stepan is probably available for the right price but that's still going to cost more than Montreal is going to want to pay for a 2C. Seems to me unless a free agent magically shows up, they are going into next season without one again and I think they had a chance at Duchene with the right package.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
Good move for both teams. Drouin will score +++ goals for years to come and will be a huge ticket seller in Montreal.:handclap:

Tampa gets a promising top pairing dman who is ED exempt and (knowing TBs scouting) will find a terrific player with the 2nd rounder.:yo:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Hope sergachev doesnt become another McDonagh trade.
Drouin does have tons of talent at least.

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Because nobody can change in a span of 3-4 years.

Especially from 17-18 to 22-23 years old.

Give me a break. Drouin is a fantastic addition for Montreal. Sergachev is also a great acquisition for Tampa.

Honestly this is the kind of trade where both teams are winners in the deal.

Or a guy like Radulov, thought of being a total team cancer can turn into one of the team leader in the span of 3-4 years?

It never happens. :sarcasm:

VL55

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
I assume that the fact that the Habs now need to protect Drouin whilst Tampa won't need to protect Sergachev for the upcoming expansion draft played in the value.

Welcome home, Drouin!

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Gotta give props to MTL here. From my side its a clear win trade.
Unless theres something about Mikhail Sergachev i dont know.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I assume that the fact that the Habs now need to protect Drouin whilst Tampa won't need to protect Sergachev for the upcoming expansion draft played in the value.

Welcome home, Drouin!

Wish drouin the best think he will shine in Montreal he needed a change! I think this deal will work well for both clubs

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Really good move by Montreal. Not sure how he'll fit with Claude, but he's got talent.

Not sure I quite follow for TB, but if you can pair him with Hedman, might work out.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
That's the thing though. What assets are available for a top line center? And even then who is available and who are bidding against?

They don't have anything. Basically they need to swap Galchenyuk for a C or commit to him being one (unlikely since they have tried to make him a W since he was 18)

LW
Pacioretty
Drouin

C
Galchenyuk?
UFA? Danault?

RW
Radulov?
Gallagher

Personally, I think Shaw should be exposed at expansion draft and Plekanec bought out. I'm not against having Hanzal/Danault as 2nd/3rd C as well. Quality of the top 6 really depends on Galchenyuk and whether Radulov signs.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I have a feeling this is one of those trades where a future great young prospect is traded for guy who is going to a team where it just won't work out. I would bet the Montreal fanbase will be cursing this trade for years to come.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
I don't understand people saying this doesn't address Montreal's needs.

Yes we need help at center. But the top 6 desperately needed anyone who could create goals. LW, C, RW doesn't matter, Habs' forward group was pathetic and this is a very huge help. There's a good chance Drouin is our best forward starting next year. Huge help for PP as well.

You don't have to be crazy about Drouin as a player, but to say this doesn't fill a need is just inaccurate.

Also it's quite clear Drouin wanted out of TB. Yzerman did good to wait and let his value comeback to the point where he could get someone like Sergachev. Also helps them in expansion draft.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
I have a feeling this is one of those trades where a future great young prospect is traded for guy who is going to a team where it just won't work out. I would bet the Montreal fanbase will be cursing this trade for years to come.

Just don't bet your house on it.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Gotta give props to MTL here. From my side its a clear win trade.
Unless theres something about Mikhail Sergachev i dont know.

That kid has everything to become one of the best D-Men in the league with proper surrounding.. As a Habs fan, I watched about 15-20 games of Sergachev last season and I can tell that the kid has all the tools to succeed and Im incredibly sad to see him go.. Bergevin is better to make some other big moves to improve the team short term cause there is no way you make that trade or the Subban trade if you think mid or long term.. Habs have to win now and all the eyes are on Bergevin.. Does he have a plan or is he only improvising? As of right now, Drouin is only replacing Radulov on the wing, so hopefully there is more to come..

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Stevie Y wins this trade. Sergachev ceiling is high and not only that but hes a cost controlled asset who is ED exempt and has more years under control than Drouin. Add a 2nd rounder to the best drafting team as well as the ability to protect another forward and this trade looks lopsided.

If you want to be a cup contender for years you have to constantly have ELC players filling in. Instead of facing a cap crunch like Chicago he quickly solved the problem.
This is what you have to do in salary cap era. Do people forget the amount of talent Chicago has lost over the years due to the salary cap? Did they ever receive anyone as close to a player as Sergachev for their lost assets?

With a healthy Stamkos and Callahan and the emergence of players like Point, Tampa should have no problem replacing Drouin's point production. This is a cup contender who also manages to have a lot of draft picks.

Drouin for all his praise wasn't great at 5v5 and now is going to play with teammates of lesser skill. Also hes going to play on a less skilled PP as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see his point totals stay relatively the same.

Defencemen are valued higher than Offencemen and TBL were able to get a defencemen comparable to Drouin. Ofcourse, this all depends on whether Sergachev succeeds. But I trust perhaps the best scouting staff in all of the NHL.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
Hey I'm happy to see you supporting bergevin. Love to see Mackinnon come in to play with him

I give credit where credit is due. Bergevin did a good job with this deal when you consider what the rumoured ask for Duchene was! Getting Drouin helps our offence and makes the francophones in the city happy all in one trade. ;) It worked out better than I thought.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
AVs don't really want Galy since they have quite a few Forwards on their roster, but they definitely don't want gallagher+beaulieu. The centrepiece they wanted was Sergachev...so they might be out of contention for Duchene.

If a package is offered on the lesser remaining pieces, it could be:

Duchene

For

Juulsen
McCarron
Fucale
2017 or 2018 - 1st Round

Still not so sure if this would be enough, NYI, Preds, CBJ, Ducks and Canes have the Centrepiece D they need.

I would add another pick or prospect if this could get done, but we would have to add some salary as well. Seriously. We then hope that Plekanec gets grabbed by Las Vegas and out top six could be:

Pacioretty--Duchene--Radulov
Drouin--Galchenyuk--Gallagher

Lehkonen--Danault--Shaw
Byron--Flynn--King/Martinsen

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't understand people saying this doesn't address Montreal's needs.

Yes we need help at center. But the top 6 desperately needed anyone who could create goals. LW, C, RW doesn't matter, Habs' forward group was pathetic and this is a very huge help. There's a good chance Drouin is our best forward starting next year. Huge help for PP as well.

You don't have to be crazy about Drouin as a player, but to say this doesn't fill a need is just inaccurate.

Also it's quite clear Drouin wanted out of TB. Yzerman did good to wait and let his value comeback to the point where he could get someone like Sergachev. Also helps them in expansion draft.

Yeah... I mean, we do need a LHD, we do need centers, but the NYR series should have proven that the Habs needed scoring in general and offensive talent and Drouin provides that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad