Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TBL] Jonathan Drouin + cond. 2018 6th for Mikhail Sergachev + cond. 2018 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Thought he played C this year when Stamkos was out? :dunno:

I thought it was telling that he didn't because Tampa, at one point, was so injured down the middle, that they had a rookie as their #1 centre.

Help me out Tampa fans because I could be misremembering.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I thought it was telling that he didn't because Tampa, at one point, was so injured down the middle, that they had a rookie as their #1 centre.

Help me out Tampa fans because I could be misremembering.

point played as the 1c if i remember but he played well there and it was his natural position.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Valuewise I think Montreal wins but moving a defenseman for a winger isn't usually smart. Especially since they really need a center

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
point played as the 1c if i remember but he played well there and it was his natural position.

Yes. My point (no pun intended) was that Tampa didn't have Drouin play centre when they were desperate. I should have been clearer.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
so where are all the anti hab posters that were saying habs have no player of any value. That Sergachev was not worth much he is unproven, and Drouin is a top talent and should fetch Galchenyuk+Sergachev+1st and habs might even have to add to that offer. With comments like and unproven player+ a near bust and a very late 1st rounder. KO so where are all YOU now.:laugh:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
so where are all the anti hab posters that were saying habs have no player of any value. That Sergachev was not worth much he is unproven, and Drouin is a top talent and should fetch Galchenyuk+Sergachev+1st and habs might even have to add to that offer. With comments like and unproven player+ a near bust and a very late 1st rounder. KO so where are all YOU now.:laugh:

Same could be asked of the Montreal fans who said that Sergachev wasn't moving unless for a proven #1C. Period. End of discussion.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

it's classic HF...they're all gone...easier to vanish like a fart in a fan shop then to own up to ridiculous proposals that were proven wrong

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Good deal for both teams. Perfect player for Tampa. However, I do wonder where JD fits in Montreal, but there is no denying the talent.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Same could be asked of the Montreal fans who said that Sergachev wasn't moving unless for a proven #1C. Period. End of discussion.

personally i would've done sergachev for duchene - and imo, this is a better trade for habs --they get that youth and skill up front. I think there is another trade in cards and if Bergevin doesn't resign Radulov he'll use that money for a UFA C..there's also plekanec's 6 mill for one year

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I think Tampa got a great future D man in Serg and I think he will excel there and be great with Hedman very quickly. But I think Drouin is the better player with the higher ceiling. This is a great trade for both teams and only long term will we be able to judge who won it. Habs should now focus on Rads and resigning Carey. I prefer to keep Galchenyuk to see why he can do with drouin. Our forward depth will be off the charts if we get rads resigned. Time to focus on drafting d-men and hopefully finding that diamond in d-man in the late first or second rounds. Welcome to the Habs Drouin!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
it's classic HF...they're all gone...easier to vanish like a fart in a fan shop then to own up to ridiculous proposals that were proven wrong

so I asked why the Habs would have to add to Galchenyuk to get Drouin? I thought galchenyuk was the more accomplished player. Where are you now?

TMLFOREVER**

May 8, 2017
I'm going to throw in my 2 nickels on this trade.

I have first hand experience with Drouin being a *********.

I have Mooseheads season tickets. After many games, we watched Drouin push past little kids looking for an autograph.

Drouin is not just a selfish player (me first), but he is not a good person. He is a rich, self entitled player who is not a team guy and only thinks about himself and as we all know, he is not a team player and a cancer in the locker room.

Why Montreal would do this is beyond me. Yea, I am a leaf fan but after that, want all Canadian teams to succeed and IMO, Drouin should be kept south of the border.

Sergachev is a budding star. Just a matter of a season or two. He will likely get lots of ice this year playing with Hedman.

Sorry Habs fans, Montreal got totally fleeced on this one. The second something doesn't go right for Drouin in Montreal, he will do and say things that normal players don't do or say.

Montreal, you will learn quickly to hate this guy like most of Halifax did.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

I have Mooseheads season tickets. After many games, we watched Drouin push past little kids looking for an autograph.

Drouin is not just a selfish player (me first), but he is not a good person. He is a rich, self entitled player who is not a team guy and only thinks about himself and as we all know, he is not a team player and a cancer in the locker room.

Why Montreal would do this is beyond me. Yea, I am a leaf fan but after that, want all Canadian teams to succeed and IMO, Drouin should be kept south of the border.

Sergachev is a budding star. Just a matter of a season or two. He will likely get lots of ice this year playing with Hedman.

Sorry Habs fans, Montreal got totally fleeced on this one. The second something doesn't go right for Drouin in Montreal, he will do and say things that normal players don't do or say.

I believe you. I met him the first time at the Complex Bell in Brossard during team Canada's practice for the WJC. He was still injured and didn't participate in the practice with the rest of the team. He left the building earlier and refuse any autographs even with a dude who had a Mooseheads jersey on him. About 15 minutes later, the rest of team went out of the building and I had time to chat with Anthony Mantha, Leafs Gauthier, and Hudon. Even a guy like Reinhart and Morrissey came out to say hello before going onto the bus.

Talking about a guy who is french Canadian, who had plenty of time to sign a few autographs and didn't have a drop of sweat. He was on the upper gallery chatting with some journalist. Didn't even stop for one moment and said that he was in a hurry.

I know it's not much, but I guess getting drafted 3rd overall go to his head even back then already.

LG18

May 10, 2013
Montreal

Because nobody can change in a span of 3-4 years.

Especially from 17-18 to 22-23 years old.

Give me a break. Drouin is a fantastic addition for Montreal. Sergachev is also a great acquisition for Tampa.

Honestly this is the kind of trade where both teams are winners in the deal.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

Interesting. For Montreal's sake I hope he's matured. If attitude is an issue, then it makes the Subban deal even more puzzling.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
As a Rangers fan, I like this trade for the Habs. I kept saying that I was not impressed with the Rangers playoff series win because we were fortunate enough to draw the one team that was less talented than us with their slow and unskilled forwards.

Even Dan Girardi in that series looked like his 2012 version that beat out Karlsson for the Norris.

From a Tampa POV, no way could afford to give Drouin that contract so they did quite well to get Sergachev.

The Lightning really don't have much on the back-end to surround Hedman with while they have some good offensive prospects on the way. And Stamkos, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat, Point and Killorn makes up a pretty solid top 6 as is. If Stamkos can stay healthy and Palat and TJ bounce back it has the potential to go from pretty solid to one of the best in the league (TBH I see the Lightning being one of the top teams in the East this coming season).

Solid trade all around, I have a feeling both parties are going to be very happy with their newly acquired players in short order.

Last edited:

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
If the Canadiens can add a top line center without gutting their roster... I think their team would look pretty nice with a few upgrades on defense.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If the Canadiens can add a top line center without gutting their roster... I think their team would look pretty nice with a few upgrades on defense

But can't you say the same thing about the Rangers, Blue Jackets and pretty much every other playoff contender?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
As a Rangers fan, I like this trade for the Habs. I kept saying that I was not impressed with the Rangers playoff series win because we were fortunate enough to draw the one team that was less talented than us with their slow and unskilled forwards.

Even Dan Girardi in that series looked like his 2012 version that beat out Karlsson for the Norris.

From a Tampa POV, no way could afford to give Drouin that contract so they did quite well to get Sergachev.

The Lightning really don't have much on the back-end to surround Hedman with while they have some good offensive prospects on the way. And Stamkos, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat, Point and Killorn makes up a pretty solid top 6 as is.

Solid trade all around, I have a feeling both parties are going to be very happy with their newly acquired players in short order.

This is a good post but I think you can be happy with the trade and still have concerns over how they will fill the holes in their lineup.

A 1C is hard to aquire and using assets that could be used to land one for an albiet potentially elite winger seems strange.

Again I think it is a good trade from both teams as far as value is concerned and might even benefit Montreal there but the fact that they are still without a true #1 center has to be a bit frustrating for Habs fans.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Because nobody can change in a span of 3-4 years.

Especially from 17-18 to 22-23 years old.

Give me a break. Drouin is a fantastic addition for Montreal. Sergachev is also a great acquisition for Tampa.

Honestly this is the kind of trade where both teams are winners in the deal.

Yea as a TB fan I can agree. I really like Drouin as a player. Think he will be a superstar in the league. With that said he did act like an ass in TB. Can be an issue when dealing with young overly egotistical star players. I definitely think it's possible that he wises up and becomes a very good player for Montreal for the rest of his career. The more I read about Sergachev the more I like and think we got a gamer with him too. Think in the long run both teams will be happy with this trade. Of course I wish it worked out with Drouin but **** happens.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
If the Canadiens can add a top line center without gutting their roster... I think their team would look pretty nice with a few upgrades on defense.

That's the thing though. What assets are available for a top line center? And even then who is available and who are bidding against?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00