Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TBL] Jonathan Drouin + cond. 2018 6th for Mikhail Sergachev + cond. 2018 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
The Carey Price in his prime window is closing. How long could MTL wait for Sergachev to be a dominant #1D?!?! IMO, he's at least 4-5 seasons away. MTL is in win now mode.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
It's not just his bad play that is the reason it's discussed. Mostly his contract plus the players they gave away plus his play

Indeed.

Hockey wise tho, his 1st season in MTL was not bad at all. Dude had a talent to carry the puck thru all zone.

Just when he had it in the O-Zone his decision making with the puck were lackluster.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
The Carey Price in his prime window is closing. How long could MTL wait for Sergachev to be a dominant #1D?!?! IMO, he's at least 4-5 seasons away. MTL is in win now mode.

4-5 seasons away...More like 1-2 seasons away from having an impact.
Will be unfortunate for MTL if he ends hitting his potential as then the trade won't look awful but will not be a clear win for MTL.

Stawks

Hockey Bird
Nov 27, 2007
Ottawa
Indeed.

Hockey wise tho, his 1st season in MTL was not bad at all. Dude had a talent to carry the puck thru all zone.

Just when he had it in the O-Zone his decision making with the puck were lackluster.

To this day I've never seen a player who could skate through the neutral zone with the puck better than Gomez. It was effortless for him. Entered the offensive zone like a knife through butter. Then he'd skate to the half-wall and throw the puck away lol. Every single time. Frustrating as hell.

Always seemed like a good dude though.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
4-5 seasons away...More like 1-2 seasons away from having an impact.
Will be unfortunate for MTL if he ends hitting his potential as then the trade won't look awful but will not be a clear win for MTL.

That's what Im saying...impactful, yes...but not the dominant #1D he'll be come further down the road.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
This reminds me alot of when the Leafs made the mistake of trading for Kessel. Trading the future for a very good winger with no centers. The wrong move at the wrong time. I can see Sergachev making this a very bad move for the habs in 2 years.

Whatever Sergachev will become, Habs need offence and they got what they want. For the past 20 years we wait , been told wait this prospect will become good , etc, and nothing happen. We just got pure offensive talent now. Its what we wanted. Its what i wanted. I was getting tired of this average offensive team, concentrating on defence and goaltending to do the job. Perhaps last Stanley Cup by the Pens open his eyes that you need offence and speed to win a championship, not just defence.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He wasn't bad the first year he was acquired but after that he was brutal

Got to conf finals that first year.

Gomez was lazy and skipped the gym, his god given extra step of speed he had on everyone else disappeared around age 30 and his effectiveness as a NHL player was heavily based on that speed so he declined very quickly. He even admitted all this during his recent comeback, where he was talking about how he finally started taking fitness seriously. Why didn't you do that when you were being paid 7$ million you unprofessional *******??

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Got to conf finals that first year.

Gomez was lazy and skipped the gym, his god given extra step of speed he had on everyone else disappeared around age 30 and his effectiveness as a NHL player was heavily based on that speed so he declined very quickly. He even admitted all this during his recent comeback, where he was talking about how he finally started taking fitness seriously. Why didn't you do that when you were being paid 7$ million you unprofessional *******??

Yeah. And i just cant believe im hearing Scott Gomez comparison to this thread, seriously. Guy was in decline at 30 already, how can you compare him to 22y Douin is beyond my mind! Stop saying we lose another Mcdonaugh, Sergachev will probably become as good as him, but we got a forward that is as good as Giroux , if not better, this time!

Im just sick of all the haters who are trying to decrease Drouin because Serg might become better jesus...

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
I'm really not a Drouin fan but at the end of the day it seems Montreal got a better player back, I think he has a higher floor and ceiling than Sergachev. Position doesnt mean much at the end of the day

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
There are some aspects that I don't understand for either team:

1) So Tampa is still convinced that Killorn's contract is a good thing? I get it that they needed a cap casualty. Why not Killorn?
2) Last year, Montreal needed to draft a D. Now they trade him for a F. Why not just draft someone like Jost, Brown or Kunin instead? Their current D is pretty old, what does the future look like? Do they trust Juulsen or Mete to become a #1? Do they trust Weber to be a #1 until he's 40?
3) Now there are rumors that they want to trade Galchenyuk. Does that mean they see Drouin as center? Over the past couple years they always needed to get bigger at C, now they're getting smaller?
What's their plan at the C position? Does Bergevin even have a plan?

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Drouin is a very good player. But to say Tampa got hosed is a little over the top. Let's be real here most people here are evaluating Drouin as his top potential and honestly some are out of their minds with all this talk of him growing into one of the best players in the league. Some people don't want to hear this but he's just a winger. Sure great with the puck but no real defensive responsibility. For the most part he will be a 60 point player with maybe a season or two of 70 points if he's lucky. That's not an insult! That's top 10 LW with a few seasons of being top 2. That's reality . He will never be a PPG player.

Would I be off to say Sergachev has a floor of top 4? 20min/game of making an impact. A really good shot of top pairing, making an impact 22-26min/game and running the top PP? This is why Tampa adds the 2nd.

Pacioretty got sent back to the A when he was drouins age and made the team in the spring

Giroux had a worse PPG then drouin at the same age.

We need to relax with already sayin players have reached their peak at 22

We dont know what Serg floor will be. or his ceiling.

WE dotn know drouin will or will not score 70 points.

Drouin coudl reach a limit of 50 pts with the habs for the rest of his career.

Serg may win 4 Norris trophies.

We have no idea.. so it isnt crazy to say anythin really.. its speculative.

but I cant be upset if someone says DRouin will never hit 25 goals with habs.. or Serg will def win a norris as I do not know

What I do know is that in terms of present day value, the trades favors the habs.

we do not know in 5 years.

or even 3 years.

Drouin didnt go from a top young player to hot garbage.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I guess Drouin didn't want to take a bridge deal and was pricing himself out of Tampa. Sergachev being exempt helps just not sure he helps us next hear because I don't know if he's ready yet.

I think Yzerman didn't want to pay what Drouin wanted, plus he probably wanted to protect Palat. Also, maybe Drouin quietly asked Yzerman to be traded. In the short-term Montreal looks like the winner but in the long run, Sergachev might turn out to be real good which will tip the scales in Tampa Bay's favour.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
There are some aspects that I don't understand for either team:

1) So Tampa is still convinced that Killorn's contract is a good thing? I get it that they needed a cap casualty. Why not Killorn?
2) Last year, Montreal needed to draft a D. Now they trade him for a F. Why not just draft someone like Jost, Brown or Kunin instead? Their current D is pretty old, what does the future look like? Do they trust Juulsen or Mete to become a #1? Do they trust Weber to be a #1 until he's 40?
3) Now there are rumors that they want to trade Galchenyuk. Does that mean they see Drouin as center? Over the past couple years they always needed to get bigger at C, now they're getting smaller?
What's their plan at the C position? Does Bergevin even have a plan?

Weber is 31

PEtry is 28

Benn is 29

Markov is 36 but is still incredible.

everyone else is under 25

Juulsen
Beaulieu
Mete
Lernout
Davidson

There will def have to be a dman added in the future... but the actual corps for the next two years is more then fine.

I believe if Galchenyuk gets traded itll be for a C.. hopefully a better one. but im not a fan of that

pacioretty galchenyuk Radu

Drouin -center- Gallagher seems liek a more then decent top 6 to me..just gotta add a center not get rid of one for another.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I like this deal for the Habs right now. Gives them some much needed "razzle dazzle" upfront to counter Toronto.

That said of course it could look bad if Sergachev pans out to be a stud, but for now I like the move.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I like this deal for the Habs right now. Gives them some much needed "razzle dazzle" upfront to counter Toronto.

That said of course it could look bad if Sergachev pans out to be a stud, but for now I like the move.

what if sergachev becomes another 3-4 D man... and Drouin becomes a 75 point player?

things can look bad at both ends.. sayin one or the other is pointless right now.

tampa gets help cuz they get to protect killorn and save cap for the controlled years of Sergachev.

Habs get added Offense which was lacking and the main reason we didnt come out of the first round.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Weber is 31

Petry is 28

Benn is 29

Markov is 36 but is still incredible.
Juulsen
Beaulieu
Mete
Lernout
Davidson
Weber's play is decreasing according to many people.
Benn and Davidson are 3rd pairing D.
Markov is 38, semi-incredible, and a free agent.
I mentioned Juulsen & Mete and asked if the Canadiens believe that they're so good that Sergachev is expendable.
Who's Lernout?

but the actual corps for the next two years is more than fine
That's why I asked what does the future look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad