Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TBL] Jonathan Drouin + cond. 2018 6th for Mikhail Sergachev + cond. 2018 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Sergachev didnt like been send down last year. I sure hope for Yzerman that its clear either way next season for Sergachev (up or down in the minor again ). Because if Sergachev is cut while doing good he's going to have that 2nd rounder in the back of his head. (As in: they are getting a 2nd rounder at the expence of my own development. ) I dont like that condition (40 games) 1 bit for the lightning

He's too good for the OHL, that is clear. He won't learn anything but more bad habits there. He needs to go to Europe if he's not in the NHL.

But honestly, Tampa can shelter him on their defence and there's zero pressure playing there. Especially considering Tampa fans saw Hedman have ups and downs and eventually become a top defender in the league. I think Sergachev be in the NHL. Certainly helps any PP now.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
"Just a winger" is even more over the top than my original statement. ;)

Drouin, in a vacuum, is definitely worth more than Sergachev. It's by no means a terrible trade for Tampa though, it makes a lot of sense for them.

Yes, you would be wrong in Sergachev's floor IMO. He's a boom-or-bust player. However, I say that in a complementary way because I hate the idea of drafting "safe" players; go big or go home, and Sergachev has the tools that could help him develop into something special.

I thought Montreal added the conditional 2nd?
You're right, I was wrong Tampa gets the 2nd if Sergachev plays 40 games regular/playoffs.

I don't think it's over the top to say he's just a winger. It's always the last position of need. They have the least overall responsibility on the ice and there is no shortage of them.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Mtl get a 22 yr old dynamic nhler
Who was TB's best forward for a long stretch after during stamkos injury.
Tb get a high profile Ohler
Good trade for mtl big question mark for Tb

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Both players have nice ceilings, but are a little ways away from reaching them. Can't help but think the lightning were selling high on Drouin and at them same time getting a re-do for not selecting Jones 3rd overall. I like the move for Montreal until they inevitably trade Galchenyuk. Question is, how much better is Drouin then Galchenyuk.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
You're right, I was wrong Tampa gets the 2nd if Sergachev plays 40 games regular/playoffs.

I don't think it's over the top to say he's just a winger. It's always the last position of need. They have the least overall responsibility on the ice and there is no shortage of them.

You're still wrong. Tampa gets the 2nd, if Sergachev does not play 40 games in the NHL.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Both players have nice ceilings, but are a little ways away from reaching them. Can't help but think the lightning were selling high on Drouin and at them same time getting a re-do for not selecting Jones 3rd overall. I like the move for Montreal until they inevitably trade Galchenyuk. Question is, how much better is Drouin then Galchenyuk.

Depends what your team needs. Habs have a lot of shoot first players but no playmakers, so Drouin is more valuable to us than Galchenyuk.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I hope MTL uses all of its picks on defense in the draft because they've got none.

Yeah, except for one of the best WHL defenders in Juulsen and a 4th rounder that outplayed Juolevi for many parts of the season in Mete.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Mtl get a 22 yr old dynamic nhler
Who was TB's best forward for a long stretch after during stamkos injury.
Tb get a high profile Ohler
Good trade for mtl big question mark for Tb

Pump the breaks there. Our best forward was clearly Kucherov last season for all stretches after Stamkos went down.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think if Tampa was planning on keeping Drouin long term they might have gave him a better shot at centre. But when you are trying to pump and dump him he needs to put up points. Moving him to centre would have cost him at least 10 points through defensive responsibility and discipline for when he forgets to play defense.

This is... I mean it's silly. We went through a stretch without Stamkos, Johnson, Namestnikov, and had just traded Filpulla and Boyle, and we still used Drouin as a winger during a playoff push. Brayden Point, a rookie, was our top line center down the stretch.

You don't "pump and dump" while you're making a run at the playoffs. Drouin just isn't well situated to play C at the NHL level. I say this as a guy who loves Drouin's game - some guys just can't handle the pivot.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
Did anyone notice that Drouin and Galchnyuk have the same number? Drouin was offered a jersey with the 72 on it, yet autographed trinkets with the number 27.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Did anyone notice that Drouin and Galchnyuk have the same number? Drouin was offered a jersey with the 72 on it, yet autographed trinkets with the number 27.

Drouin said he hasn't decided on his number yet.

That signature is obviously just habit, I wouldn't put much stock into it although I do believe Galchenyuk is traded.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Steve Y clearly had a sour taste towards Drouin. Something to be said about building a culture in an organization. Steve Y wanted everyone to know what kind of organization TB wants to be

In point in time, Montreal gets a budding star whom they desperately needed

No doubt in my opinion Serg will be a great D in the future but that's about 3-4 years away

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Drouin said he hasn't decided on his number yet.

That signature is obviously just habit, I wouldn't put much stock into it although I do believe Galchenyuk is traded.

Drouin wore a #72 jersey with his name on it yesterday for the Press Conference and the team said he'll be wearing that number - it's the number he wore for the Young North America team in the World Cup this summer as well.

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:a3aa8e863ecd41d88288cc663ebec5ad-4Nb9l7W3r1ba33c6463f77a6fb00-897_634x422.jpg

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Great hockey trade for both teams. Both players have an extremely high ceiling.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Very good trade for Montreal. Giving up Sergachev will hurt a little but to get Drouin you make these sacrifices. They can draft another good defenseman in the draft this year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Sadly, hes not better.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I could totally see the Lightning using Sergachev for 39 games in 2017-18. Kinda use him like a young starting pitcher in MLB on an innings limit. Play him as the 7th defenseman early on, send him down to the AHL on a couple of conditioning stints, send him to the WJC, then have him play most of his 39 games down the stretch/in the playoffs.

Yzerman wants that second rounder. You know this is true. He sold at this year's deadline with a team that easily could have sneaked into the playoffs.

This situation is going to be fascinating.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
I could totally see the Lightning using Sergachev for 39 games in 2017-18. Kinda use him like a young starting pitcher in MLB on an innings limit. Play him as the 7th defenseman early on, send him down to the AHL on a couple of conditioning stints, send him to the WJC, then have him play most of his 39 games down the stretch/in the playoffs.

Yzerman wants that second rounder. You know this is true. He sold at this year's deadline with a team that easily could have sneaked into the playoffs.

Its OHL or NHL for Serg. Given TB needs and his compete level, my guess is him suiting up for the majority of the season.

edit: conditioning stints? lol. sure bud

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada

Once they send him back to juniors, he can't come back.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah, except for one of the best WHL defenders in Juulsen and a 4th rounder that outplayed Juolevi for many parts of the season in Mete.

when do you think they don the CH ? because really there is no down side to rushing a D prospect by pairing him with sub average 3-6 D players.

So if not this year, next ? the year after that ? You think markov makes it that long playing 24 minutes a night ?

We may have prospects, we dont have any prospects that have a reasonable chance of making the team this year or perhaps next. We had one. We traded him to address our pressing need at winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->