Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NYI] Thomas Vanek & cond'l 5th for Sebastian Collberg & cond'l 2nd PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PricePkPatch*

there is multiple things that could impact Vanek's decision to remain here

1- Minnesota could very well sign Moulson if they like his tenure with them. This wouldn't leave much room for Tomas
2- Vanek could genuinely love the feeling of playing in Montreal. I know we managed to win the heart of Kovalev that way, and if Vanek is really a spotlight seeker, he came to the right place.
3- Vanek could really, really love the dynamic of the Montreal team, which I am sure is quite the contrast with his previous teams (Sabres & Islanders). I am sure they forbid beams in the Islander locker rooms to preempt hanging knots. And if he loves the professionalism of our organization, he could decide that he may be happy here.

All in all, I say we shouldn't throw the towel on keeping Vanek. He's the sort of player we want to keep for 5 years.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Also don't understand why people think professional broadcasters should be happy for any particular team.

I think they were surprised more than anything.

Montreal hasn't done anything real significant at the deadline for quite a long time.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Well Vanek knew he was going to be traded so it probably wasn't TOO much of a shock.

I would rather have heard something a little more positive is all.

Anyway I love the trade.

He said he wasnt sure to where.....
Again the guy got 3 kids and a wife...he isnt a 20 year old bachelor any more...
Anyone expecting him to say 10 mins after a trade,oh yes for sure...unrealistic...
If the money is right ,Habs got a good shot as any.
He got a 20-40 games test drive to experience MTL....as a 30-40 goal guy he's goona be wildly popular.....Kovy wasnt sure about resigning in Montreal originally,wasnt happy to be traded either.....but look what happened he fell in love with Hab fans....and the city.

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Nothing to discredit collberg. Loved him before we picked him love him now.

However there are some red flags coming in his development.. And the fact I believe more in lehkonen than collberg and andrighetto is closer to the NHL. We can afford to lose him.

this a thousand times this, LOVED collberg, but he might turn into a 2nd line winger at BEST, vaneks a TOP LINE winger...

lehkonen and andrighetto have easily made collberg expendable, LET ALONE the fact we also have de la rose whos a NHL SHOE in...

collberg was the absolute best asset we had to trade, and bergevin used it wisely (possibly dudley LOL)

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Well Vanek knew he was going to be traded so it probably wasn't TOO much of a shock.

I would rather have heard something a little more positive is all.

Anyway I love the trade.

He sounded much more enthusiast on his Le 5 a 7 interview

Anyway it's not a secret that the guy will try to sign with Minnesota first and foremost. If it doesn't work for whatever reason then well...who knows what his second options is ? He could love his time in Montreal and it could become his Plan B if Plan A fails. Hell maybe the Habs won't want to re-sign him if his short tenure here is a failure. It's too soon to tell

Analyzer*

He's looking for 60 million. It's fun to think about but...Habs just shouldn't do that.

That's a good point. Only the team that has his rights can offer 8 years right?

Not sure, I thought only the team that drafted the player could offer 8 years.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
I think the main reason for TSN's somewhat lukewarm state while talking about this trade was that they had just announced a fake trade seconds before this, I'm sure they didn't want to get caught giving out false information twice in a row, so they were being... conservative.. in their expression.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Today, 03:18 PM
CDJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrow View Post
If Vanek goes to Anaheim, I will cry.
Anaheim is the least of our concerns.

LOL, funiest thing ive ever read, the guy clearly fears the thought of montreal ACTUALLY getting vanek

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Last year in playoffs Bourque played decent. If we have Pacioretty, Vanek, and Bourque gets going we could be a dangerous team.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If MTL knows Vanek won't sign here and let's say hypothetically they try to sign him and offer him a contract and he denies it, what if MTL sends him to MIN for Moulson and then MTL can try and sign Moulson.
EDIT: this would happen at the draft.

I doubt the Wild can lock up Moulson and Vanek in the off-season. They are going to need to address their goaltending situation and that should cost them some cap aswell.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Trade Vanek for Moulsons rights if he doesn't sign here. Mind you, if he doesn't sign here it's to go to Minnesota so there's no real need for them to trade for his rights. Better off trading Moulsons to a team for assets they can actual get.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Time for Habs fans to show their social conscience and goodwill by going on the main board to prop up the HFBoards community... Here's suggestions:

-"Well actually Collberg is a really good prospect"
-"We messed up on McDonagh, It could happen again''
-"Isles were about to lose Vanek, they got solid chips for the future. Not a bad move by Snow'' etc...

Analyzer*

Last year in playoffs Bourque played decent. If we have Pacioretty, Vanek, and Bourque gets going we could be a dangerous team.

PAcioretty didn't do anything in the playoffs, but to his credit he was hurt.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Joël Gabbay ‏@JoelGabbayNHL 2m

Vanek's agent, Steve Bartlett, says that he would be open to contract negotiations with #Habs. Says his client, Gionta, recommends Montreal.

Oh my dear god, can this day get any better? Good thing the game will end tomorrow, so even if we lose, today would have been amazing.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Today, 02:44 PM

Habsawce

My guess for the sake of it

Vanek to MTL

Kesler to PIT

Edler to DET

Moulson to MIN

All in the last 15 munutes!

2 out of 4 at least, not my fault Vancouver was too chicken to make more trades though!

TheRooster

Dec 31, 2013
Montreal
Garth Snow is my new favourite GM!

Maybe in the offseason we could trade DD, Bourque, and a 5th round pick for Tavares. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad