Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NYI] Thomas Vanek & cond'l 5th for Sebastian Collberg & cond'l 2nd PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
They're probably wrong.. I mean the program/script behind that thing is wrong ;)

He went out drinking all night with grabner prior to their final game of the tournament. I know Austria didn't have a chance, but he was the captain.

Kelly hrudey and others who followed the olympic hockey closely commented that he was a total no show and was playing not to get hurt. I have not heard hrudey slice someone up so bad since he went off on rene bourque a few years ago in Calgary.

I can't confirm how accurate these stories are, but I imagine there is a degree of truth to this at least.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Even if Vanek doesn't resign here it's a good trade. We don't give up anybody on the current roster veteran or young, no 1st round picks and no top prospects and we get to make a good playoff run by adding a top forward. This deal is a no brainer, I really don't get how anybody can ***** on MB for this.

Collberg was considered a top prospect in this org, just not the best.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I think the Panel was just shocked that it was the Habs who got Vanek. It was literally out of left field, and the rumours were Pittsburgh and Anaheim, especially after Anaheim moved Penner and Fasth yesterday.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Pierre Houde brought this up on Le 5 a 7. I'm a bit out of the loop about this so what happened exactly ?

Admitting team members stayed out late partying two nights before a humiliating 4-0 defeat to hockey minnow Slovenia, a trio of NHLers on the Olympic squad issued a statement apologizing Thursday.

In an unofficial translation of an Austrian report, the players -- Thomas Vanek and Michael Grabner of the New York Islanders and Michael Raffl of the Philadelphia Flyers -- expressed regret for showing poor off-ice form during the Olympics.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/20/austrian-coach-slams-hard-partying-hockey-players

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Bringing you a behind-the-scene video of the trade:

7arafxD.gif

Haha genius! :bow:

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
There are some question marks about his character (especially with the stories that came out during the Olympics), can't deny the talent though.

You always have dozens of high character IQ guys in the AHL... You need skill to win (especially skill over 5'9)... Even if getting Vanek makes us lose the "2014 Character Cup", I'll deal with it.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
If MTL knows Vanek won't sign here and let's say hypothetically they try to sign him and offer him a contract and he denies it, what if MTL sends him to MIN for Moulson and then MTL can try and sign Moulson.
EDIT: this would happen at the draft.

I doubt the Wild can lock up Moulson and Vanek in the off-season. They are going to need to address their goaltending situation and that should cost them some cap aswell.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Solid deal. Didn't like Collberg one bit at the training camp. He was hyped to death.

If MTL knows Vanek won't sign here and let's say hypothetically they try to sign him and offer him a contract and he denies it, what if MTL sends him to MIN for Moulson and then MTL can try and sign Moulson.

I doubt the Wild can lock up Moulson and Vanek in the off-season. They are going to need to address their goaltending situation and that should cost them some cap aswell.

Why didnt they try to get Vanek then? Seems weird.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec

I mentionned that, that would be sweet!

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Collberg was considered a top prospect in this org, just not the best.
He's still a small and soft forward that will have trouble playing against physical players. We have boat loads of those. I really don't see it as a big loss.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Another asset of Vanek's that addresses a HUGE Montreal need is that HE GOES TO THE NET! Not all his goals are snipes and one timers. He bangs in a lot of rebounds and is great at tipping. He really is a perfect fit.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Does anyone think this was a Dudley move ? I feel like MB gave the OK but Dudley did a lot of the negotiations.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
He's still a small and soft forward that will have trouble playing against physical players. We have boat loads of those. I really don't see it as a big loss.

More importantly, the Habs have a few prospects who are not only similar in stature and potential, but have either surpassed him in progression or are not too far along.

Collberg will be a good player. The question is, will he be a good player in the NHL or the AHL?

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Does anyone think this was a Dudley move ? I feel like MB gave the OK but Dudley did a lot of the negotiations.

It's on MB... A GM could surround himself with dumb yes-men or with quality advisors... Ultimately, the buck stops with the GM... And MB (not Dudley) will get all the crap with the Brière move and the kudos for the Vanek move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad