Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Josh Anderson for Max Domi and 2020 3rd round pick - pt.2

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
This trade was always going to be a win for the Habs because we haven’t had a good powerforward in so long. It was a huge need for us and Anderson has lived up to expectations so far.

I'm glad it's working out so far, but MTL gave a 7 year deal to a guy with injury issues and fans are celebrating after 10 games played. Might be early to gloat. I think he's left two games early so far and the fanbase has had to collect its breath each time until they were revealed to not be major injuries / illness.

It's clear Domi had no place on the team and good job by Bergevin to move him for a player the team needed, the risk with this trade was always the term given to re-sign Anderson not what Montreal gave up though.

Reactions: HABNIKO

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
"Entirety of these threads"? When someone proposed Domi for Anderson it was Habs fans that said it was a preposterous suggestion, that Domi >> Anderson. [B]@draft day[/B] still has a sore neck from the whiplash of changing his mind so quickly. You can go back to the first pages of the thread on the signing, on the Habs board. It was not charitable to Bergevin.
Bolded made me lol
I, myself, thought we wouldn't need to add an extra pick to Domi at the very least.
Even tho Anderson is doing more than expected so far, I wouldn't count Domi out so fast in Columbus. Everyone in Columbus is having a rough start including proven stars like Jones.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
But I was told Jarmo never loses trades because he got Jones for Johansen over five years ago. Surely he didn't make a mistake? Oh well, at least Columbus got their "2C"...
too early to call. I'm sure both will have highs and lows over the course of the shorten season.

Reactions: thebus88

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
It wasn't just Alzner. That summer he let Radulov walk, he alienated Markov, he let Emelin walk, and he traded Sergachev for Drouin. The team went from 103 points and 1st in their division to out of the playoffs. That summer was a tremendous setback for the team.
I’m not sure if you missed the scoop but the Russian players after the playoff loss to the rangers didn’t seem to be so sad about it . Apparently they were having a great time playing cards and having a good laugh . It rankled quite a few players . So much so that the entire Russian contingent was gone before the start of the next season . Yes it hurt and took a while to recover but it had to be done

Reactions: Burke the Legend

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, he was fully recovered at the time of the trade, but what I'm saying is at the time of the majority of trade proposals he wasn't and his recovery was still unclear, which is why the plus was added. You're picking and choosing facts to strengthen your argument, while seemingly ignoring the context.

Sure there were multiple trade threads that had Domi for Anderson aspects, so some of them may have been after he recovered, but the majority weren't.

Josh was fully healthy in August, and every report we had prior to that was that he was recovering normally. There was still concern of him getting more injuries, and there still should be. Nothing has really changed that much regarding his health situation. That his scoring touch has returned so quickly in recent weeks is certainly big news but nothing was really different between September and January.

I don't think you're remembering the trade threads very well. It wasn't like Habs fans erred by saying "sure but you'll need a small plus because of the injury risk", they said "not even close" and so on. The arguments were that you couldn't trade a player of the caliber of Domi for a player of the [lesser] caliber of Anderson. It's not a big deal, not like any of us care. It was just a trade proposal for a player that your fan base didn't really know. That happens.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But I was told Jarmo never loses trades because he got Jones for Johansen over five years ago. Surely he didn't make a mistake? Oh well, at least Columbus got their "2C"...

No one told you that.

Jarmo has won trades in situations where people here insisted he could not win, that is all. That doesn't imply, unless you're a fool, that he never loses trades.

Tunapants

May 24, 2012
PHX, AZ
No one told you that.

Jarmo has won trades in situations where people here insisted he could not win, that is all. That doesn't imply, unless you're a fool, that he never loses trades.
It was actually said several times by a couple different posters.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It was actually said several times by a couple different posters.

I heard people mocking Jackets fans by saying "Jarmo never loses trades" when someone (like myself) listed returns that Jarmo has gotten in the past that people said he could not get. I think we just have a lot of people on the boards that have trouble knowing the difference between those two statements.

Perhaps you can find an example. I was there and never saw it.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Everyone say why Habs add 3rd pick. They should add 1st pick for making this trade more close.

What a pickup by Bergevin, Anderson is the real deal!

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
I’m not sure if you missed the scoop but the Russian players after the playoff loss to the rangers didn’t seem to be so sad about it . Apparently they were having a great time playing cards and having a good laugh . It rankled quite a few players . So much so that the entire Russian contingent was gone before the start of the next season . Yes it hurt and took a while to recover but it had to be done
That's dramatic and if GMMB gets butthurt about someone finding joy in life despite their struggles and disappointments, he's got a very dim understanding of the human condition. You think anyone was ever been disowned for cracking a joke with family members at a funeral reception?

Markov showed more loyalty and heart for his team over his career in Montreal than any single player outside of Saku Koivu. Radulov is one of the toughest, grittiest high-skill players in the league and he lays everything on the ice on every single shift he plays, which is way more than you could say about the rest of Montreal's (at the time) soft roster.

And then to ship out your most valuable prospect at a position of need (Sergachev) to replace Radulov's production with Drouin - a guy with a rep for being an inconsistent diva?

It's a cute theory but to believe that the team had to be purged of extremely valuable Russian players over a card game is bonkers.

Reactions: rumrokh

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019

Yea they must be such losers that the 2 of them who weren't at the tail ends of their careers just met as impact players in the cup finals

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
That's dramatic and if GMMB gets butthurt about someone finding joy in life despite their struggles and disappointments, he's got a very dim understanding of the human condition. You think anyone was ever been disowned for cracking a joke with family members at a funeral reception?

Markov showed more loyalty and heart for his team over his career in Montreal than any single player outside of Saku Koivu. Radulov is one of the toughest, grittiest high-skill players in the league and he lays everything on the ice on every single shift he plays, which is way more than you could say about the rest of Montreal's (at the time) soft roster.

And then to ship out your most valuable prospect at a position of need (Sergachev) to replace Radulov's production with Drouin - a guy with a rep for being an inconsistent diva?

It's a cute theory but to believe that the team had to be purged of extremely valuable Russian players over a card game is bonkers.
Hey personally I wish they hadda kept Markov. I’m only going by what I read somewhere. It’s been a while so I’m sorry to say I can’t tell you where I heard it . Maybe it was just a coincidence but that’s how the story went . It was similar to a story about the Habs being on a west coast trip about a decade before . Koivu was hurt and kovalev was the acting captain. Kovalev told koivu that if he didn’t go to Gainey to clean up what was going on that he was . That may have been a coincidence to but there was about 10 transactions in 7 days .

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I'm glad it's working out so far, but MTL gave a 7 year deal to a guy with injury issues and fans are celebrating after 10 games played. Might be early to gloat. I think he's left two games early so far and the fanbase has had to collect its breath each time until they were revealed to not be major injuries / illness.

It's clear Domi had no place on the team and good job by Bergevin to move him for a player the team needed, the risk with this trade was always the term given to re-sign Anderson not what Montreal gave up though.
mtl cannot have anything good with a fan saying it's only 10 games in the season, and at the end of the season it will be "but it's only a 50 games season"

so tired of this

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
mtl cannot have anything good with a fan saying it's only 10 games in the season, and at the end of the season it will be "but it's only a 50 games season"

so tired of this

He signed for 7 years and after 10 games Habs fans are declaring victory. Maybe wait and see how he has done after the first couple of years before declaring victory.

Anderson could literally get hurt and be out of the rest of the year or he might continue to have a good year and stay healthy. Or a million different scenarios between that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

so tired of this

No, you can have good things, go ahead and enjoy what you're seeing right now. Anderson and the whole team are playing great. You just don't declare victory on a 7 year deal.

Reactions: thebus88

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
No, you can have good things, go ahead and enjoy what you're seeing right now. Anderson and the whole team are playing great. You just don't declare victory on a 7 year deal.
never did declare victory, but Montreal and other big cities cannot have anything good without people coming here with negative takes, WE ALL KNOW IT'S 10 GAMES IN STFU TY

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

so tired of this

To be fair there is some potential upside with signing a 7 year deal during the COVID offseason, maybe the cap rises faster than we think or Anderson bends his age curve, who knows. Just pointing out that the 7 year term to Anderson is where this trade + signing looked to potentially go south for Montreal more so than losing Domi, a player they didn't need or have room for.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

injury issues? That was the first major injury Anderson had in his whole career. He busted a shoulder once. Could happen to anyone. It’s not like it’s a career threatening injury.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
To be fair there is some potential upside with signing a 7 year deal during the COVID offseason, maybe the cap rises faster than we think or Anderson bends his age curve, who knows. Just pointing out that the 7 year term to Anderson is where this trade + signing looked to potentially go south for Montreal more so than losing Domi, a player they didn't need or have room for.
you see how it will be right ?

Anderson has 2 good seasons, some poster: "ye lol wait at least for 5 years" and then at 5 years " lol 1 more year and he is done, wait before talking"

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
injury issues? That was the first major injury Anderson had in his whole career. He busted a shoulder once. Could happen to anyone. It’s not like it’s a career threatening injury.

He busted both shoulders. One in the 2019 playoffs that lingered into last year and one in a fight vs Borowiecki last year. Portzline was very clear that it was in fact both shoulders. The concern isn't that any particular injury is career threatening, but that he will get injured frequently, lose playing time, and gradually lose ability as a result. "Could happen to anyone", sure, but not every player is flying into checks at 20+mph.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Anderson went on plenty of hot streaks while with the CBJ and had plenty of fans buy into the idea that he is some consistent 25-30 goal, two way power forward. He very well could score less goals the rest of the year than he has already scored early in the season, and he won’t be racking up assists instead.

I’m saying this as a CBJ fan that is very sure that Domi is not an answer at center, but also just as sure that Domi is clearly superior offensively to Josh Anderson.

The problem is that Anderson doesn’t put up those numbers when he plays a more effective two way game. I can’t claim to have really watched any of MTL this year or much of Anderson, but I did see the highlight of him attempting to pad his stats by cherry-picking late in the 3rd, up what, 4 goals?? Many worthless goals is similar situations as a Blue Jacket, imo.

MTL fans, please, can you tell me you are impressed by his hands or shot?? Just wait till the puck stops going in and he ends at 12-15 goals.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm just waiting for Habs fans, months from now, to be gloating that "Anderson was amazing and Jackets fans said that wasn't possible". Keep in mind that thebus has bizarre hatreds for players, and doesn't represent anyone's views but his own.

In 2018-19 Josh Anderson scored 27 goals with outstanding two-way play on a shutdown line. The best year of his career in both regards. He helps the team in so many ways, quite the opposite of a one-way cherrypicker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad