Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Josh Anderson for Max Domi and 2020 3rd round pick - pt.2

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I agree it only took him 9 years so far to accomplish what exactly?

Well, built a team that could go to conference finals this year.

Most of the players that turned out to be junk soon after he moved them:

Galchenyk, Subban, Weise

And most of the players that he traded for soon took off in their careers:

Petry, Danault, Anderson, Suzuki, Tatar

It's safe to say that he has a better than average trade record, and a really good eye for up and coming players.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I agree it only took him 9 years so far to accomplish what exactly?

I find it funny that guys like David Poile have a good reputation after 24 years and Bergevin will get zero credit for recent success because "it took him 9 years"

One of Montreal's downfalls is impatience (firing Julien, Vigneault for example) I was pretty critical of MB early on, but he rarely has made a bad trade. If success is only measured in cups, there are 30 gm's who fail this metric every year.

I'm confident MTL is heading in the right direction - which is hard to argue.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
We’ll see what happens when Anderson’s shooting percentage isn’t double his career average. If both players shoot their normal percentages, both of them would be sitting at 6 points. That’s not to say the trade hasn’t worked out much better for Montreal than I was expecting, but players don’t shoot 20%+ long term. Let’s not forget the Vegas fans that thought Karlsson would be scoring 30-40 goals every year, and he’s been on pace for 22 goals per year since the one outlier season

If his shooting % is cut by half it’s still almost a 30 goal pace which I think the habs would be ok with

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I find it funny that guys like David Poile have a good reputation after 24 years and Bergevin will get zero credit for recent success because "it took him 9 years"

One of Montreal's downfalls is impatience (firing Julien, Vigneault for example) I was pretty critical of MB early on, but he rarely has made a bad trade. If success is only measured in cups, there are 30 gm's who fail this metric every year.

I'm confident MTL is heading in the right direction - which is hard to argue.
I dont disagree they are looking better but without Covid they dont make the playoffs last year and would be in a dogfight this year if not for realignment.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If his shooting % is cut by half it’s still almost a 30 goal pace which I think the habs would be ok with

oh for sure. And he’s easily worth his money at that point if he can continue. I’m just saying it’s a bit premature to declare Montreal easily won the trade when we know Anderson won’t keep scoring at a 55 goal pace. Just as it’s kind of been proven that it was premature to declare Columbus easily won the trade when it happened

Reactions: Viqsi

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I've been a bergervin detractor, but he has learned from his mistakes. He's a great evaluator of pro talent and has made mostly excellent trades - drouin / sergachev aside, which has has lessened a bit with Drouin's early play this year. He finally figured out a couple of important things:

-build from C and D - instead of on the wings and in net
-accumulating large amounts of picks to give him a chance of drafting gems throughout the draft
-finally getting price a legit backup - only took him 9 years

worst moves:
-keeping therrien as coach for far too long
-never getting price a suitable backup which derailed several great starts to the year after he got injured
-giving price that ridiculous contract because he decided early on to build through goal and on the wing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad