Moving on from Jones?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was actually not happy with Jones play in the Vegas series last year. I think he did poorly on the eye test and if you take away the save percentage from the sweep against Anaheim, he had a poor series on paper against Vegas as well. I remember a couple poor goals early in game 1, at least one in game 2 where he got the win, game 3 he didn't play as bad as the score indicated. Game 4 he got a shutout, but I remember him allowing 1-2 poor ones in game 5 and I thought he could have had both the goals in game 6, which didn't matter because it was a shutout.

Pretty much everybody gives him shit for the Vegas series.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pretty much everybody gives him **** for the Vegas series.
I remember thinking something like 7 or 8 of the 18 goals he allowed were at the very least stoppable and Fleury (going by eye test) looked even more vulnerable in that series than he did against the Capitals.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I remember thinking something like 7 or 8 of the 18 goals he allowed were at the very least stoppable and Fleury (going by eye test) looked even more vulnerable in that series than he did against the Capitals.

He didn't have a good series against Vegas but most are willing to give him a pass for that given that was his first real bad series as a Shark. Jones is having a tough start but he'll turn it around.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
In pro sports, the saying goes "the job is yours until someone better comes along" rings true, but right now it's not ringing for Jones.

It's ringing for Pete Deboer.

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
I mean Jones hasn't been that bad. I look at a lot of goalies who were good last year aren't doing that great this year. The game has been faster and Sharks aren't playing fast when Thornton is I'm the lineup. Even Karlsson seems to be playing slowish when he should be skating it out way more. Look at Price supposed to be the best goalie in the world and his save percentage and GAA is shit

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Sometimes I don't know what to think of him. In Dallas he's looked good and still let in 4 goals because reasons. Tonight he was dialed in and made tons of key saves.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Jones 59.55 seconds of bad netminding against the Preds but coming out with 5 seconds of Vezina caliber EN goaltending is priceless.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Jones 59.55 seconds of bad netminding against the Preds but coming out with 5 seconds of Vezina caliber EN goaltending is priceless.

2 breakaway against
1 vaguely PPG against
1 odd-man rushes against

All things considered, the goals allowed can't be held against him. Maybe the Forsberg 5-hole goal he should have had but that was a broken play.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
2 breakaway against
1 vaguely PPG against
1 odd-man rushes against

All things considered, the goals allowed can't be held against him. Maybe the Forsberg 5-hole goal he should have had but that was a broken play.

A list of excuses. A good goaltender always has a chance to stop any of those.

Jones was a good goaltender but his head is gone now or it appears to be. Had this corrected itself earlier in the season, I would have paid no mind but this is 3 months in of shitty play. He's a broken goaltender. I hate to say it because I like Jonesy but he has become a liability.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He has started bad, that's for sure, but he hasn't been abysmal. He sits at a -4.14 GSAA (Goals saved against average). That it's not lower with his .898 SV% says the team has hung him out to dry more than he should've been and it's tough to get into a groove then as a goalie.

He's faced a lot of high danger chances, had some bad bounces and allowed some softies. 5 of his 14 games have been considered quality starts.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
The defense in front of him has been poo, but too many nights he hasn’t looked like a goalie you can count on if you have playoff and beyond hopes/expectations.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Jones was a good goaltender but his head is gone now or it appears to be. Had this corrected itself earlier in the season, I would have paid no mind but this is 3 months in of ****ty play. He's a broken goaltender. I hate to say it because I like Jonesy but he has become a liability.

Honestly, what does that first statement even mean? A chance? He had a chance....idk what you are talking about

I concur that he hasn't been great this year and has been a liability, but you don't hang those GAs on him at all. Since when is a goalie at fault on a breakaway??

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
Ill be more pissed off than usual if we lose a playoff series by bad goaltending especially with the team we have this year. If a team is just flat out better I'll live with it

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Honestly, what does that first statement even mean? A chance? He had a chance....idk what you are talking about

I concur that he hasn't been great this year and has been a liability, but you don't hang those GAs on him at all. Since when is a goalie at fault on a breakaway??

I mean they shouldnt be automatic goals like Jones has been making them. I can throw out a ton of cliche things about goalies (last line of defense, etc) but its as simple as does anyone really have faith that Jones can steal one for this team with his play this year?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Jones was a good goaltender but his head is gone now or it appears to be. Had this corrected itself earlier in the season, I would have paid no mind but this is 3 months in of ****ty play. He's a broken goaltender. I hate to say it because I like Jonesy but he has become a liability.

I think people have very unrealistic expectations for what a goalie is going to be able to do right now. I don't think any goalie in this league stops any of those goals from happening right now. The team needs to bear down defensively and stop turning the puck over in bad areas. Those types of mistakes are rookie mistakes that people just toss to the side to blame the goalie for not making stops against grade A chances against.

68 Z-28

Jul 10, 2007
Under the Tank
I may have to go and look at all netminders stats between this year and last. I think the pad changes this year is messing with Jones and looking at some of the scores around the league so far this season it’s not isolated to him alone. I know netminders have complained about bruising...

And no, it’s not to give a pass but something I’m considering before writing him off.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I mean they shouldnt be automatic goals like Jones has been making them. I can throw out a ton of cliche things about goalies (last line of defense, etc) but its as simple as does anyone really have faith that Jones can steal one for this team with his play this year?
But they aren't automatic goals. He came up huge on a two-one late in the game.

I understand what I think you are trying to express, but this game is probably the least salient example

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
It's pretty clear that Jones has problems that cannot be fixed and moving on from him is imperative at this point. He isn't gonna magically start making saves on shots chest high and above. The Predators know this and exploited it on Tuesday. The Maple Leafs know this and exploited it tonight.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Hey guys.

How much of a chance is there that Dell actually starts to steal starts from this guy?

Asking for the benefit of my fantasy team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad