Moving on from Jones?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why not? Outside of his last season in Pittsburgh, which I believe was cut short with injuries/concussion, Fleury's best stretch of years in Pittsburgh were literally 3 of his last 4 years there. Fleury's a rare example of a goaltender that's been better in his 30's than he was in his 20's.

I never considered Fleury better than average between 2003-2013. He had some good years, but he also had mediocre ones. I always considered him an average goalie on a stacked team up until about 4 years ago.

Not every goalie plays worse because of the team, like you seem to believe. Of course there are guys like Brian Elliott, who never look good without Hitchcock, but there's plenty of teams that have two goalies that are not playing to the same level. Just look at the difference between DeSmith and Murray this year in Pittsburgh behind the same team.

Because they saw him as too unreliable come playoff time and they had a cheaper option in the wings. Fleury has had complacency issues in Pittsburgh as well. They would've felt like it was time to move on regardless.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because they saw him as too unreliable come playoff time and they had a cheaper option in the wings. Fleury has had complacency issues in Pittsburgh as well. They would've felt like it was time to move on regardless.
I don't blame them for exposing Fleury in the expansion draft, for what it's worth.

I think it was the right move at the time. Murray had one of the hottest starts to an NHL career that a goalie has ever had, but it's been all downhill from there for him. Murray is also 10 years younger and would have saved them money in cap. So I think it was the right move, that looks like it may not be working out. However, DeSmith looks like he's at least a competent fill-in for now.

I just don't think Fleury wouldn't have played this well in Pittsburgh if he had stayed, although last year was a career year for Fleury, who also isn't really as good as he was last year either.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't blame them for exposing Fleury in the expansion draft, for what it's worth.

I think it was the right move at the time. Murray had one of the hottest starts to an NHL career that a goalie has ever had, but it's been all downhill from there for him. Murray is also 10 years younger and would have saved them money in cap. So I think it was the right move, that looks like it may not be working out. However, DeSmith looks like he's at least a competent fill-in for now.

I just don't think Fleury wouldn't have played this well in Pittsburgh if he had stayed, although last year was a career year for Fleury, who also isn't really as good as he was last year either.

I don't think Fleury would have had the motivation needed to play at the level he is if he stays in Pittsburgh.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I think they would still make that decision regardless because Fleury likely isn't playing like he has in Vegas if he doesn't leave Pittsburgh.

That's a big "what-if" you are selling as factual.

Is there an active goalie in the NHL that has more career playoff games (135), more SCF appearances (5), and more SC championship rings (3) than Fleury?

I had thought Lindquist might have more career playoff games, but he falls about 10 games short.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's a big "what-if" you are selling as factual.

Is there an active goalie in the NHL that has more career playoff games (135), more SCF appearances (5), and more SC championship rings (3) than Fleury?

I had thought Lindquist might have more career playoff games, but he falls about 10 games short.

Given the qualifiers in that line you quoted, it is hardly being sold as factual. All those things you point to don't speak to future performance and fit for specific teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad