Moving on from Jones?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd argue that he is one of the worst contracts on the team, but moving him now makes zero sense. Unless teams are willing to overpay, we are stuck with him. Every game it seems that he struggles mentally early on giving up early goals. Does the team in front of him have that little faith in him? I just don't get why he is regressing instead of progressing.

The team struggles with playing defense early on giving up grade A chances. You can't just pin that on the goalie. They get a 3-on-2 30 seconds into the game that they were able to make passes through the middle on. One, that was a coaching error starting Thornton to begin with. Two, it comes as no surprise that Jumbo can't back-check quick enough anymore. Three, Vlasic and Braun played that pretty poorly taking nothing away. These kind of defensive mishaps are too commonplace for it to be pinned on the goalie.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I don't think anyone blames Jones for those type of goals. It's the squeaky ones or the ones that go in unscreened or from low scoring areas that are bad and have been an ongoing issue through last season and beyond.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Good thing the Sharks already beat an elite goalie last playoffs and havent lost to one since Quick in 2014.

That was last year. This is a new season and Jones has showcase signs of a broken goalie. Can he recover down the line? Sure but I wouldnt be willingly to gamble away this season if I was Wilson. Id make a move for one of the two superior goalies rumored to be available and quick.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That was last year. This is a new season and Jones has showcase signs of a broken goalie. Can he recover down the line? Sure but I wouldnt be willingly to gamble away this season if I was Wilson. Id make a move for one of the two superior goalies rumored to be available and quick.
If DW does that then Jones has to be going the other way. No?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yes that would be ideal.
I am honestly worried about Jones as well but we are pretty tight up against the cap. That plus I think we need to sort some of our defensive issues out before we look at replacing Jones. Our team D has been so shoddy that I don’t think replacing Jones alone will be enough.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012

If those goalies are Bob and Rask than Wilson would be an idiot to do that. Lots of goalies are struggling so the Sharks arent alone in that regard.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I am honestly worried about Jones as well but we are pretty tight up against the cap. That plus I think we need to sort some of our defensive issues out before we look at replacing Jones. Our team D has been so shoddy that I don’t think replacing Jones alone will be enough.

Possible that the defense might be doing too much because they lack confidence in Jones ability to make routine saves or big saves when needed. Not absolving the d of any blame but it could have a connection to his struggle.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
My issue with Jones is he seems stiff, almost like he's hurt. He has been very slow on his initial movement especially early in periods. Not that he's ever been athletic but he seems lost right now. I do agree that he may have a hard time reading the non existent d in front of him but that's just compounding the issue

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
The team struggles with playing defense early on giving up grade A chances. You can't just pin that on the goalie. They get a 3-on-2 30 seconds into the game that they were able to make passes through the middle on. One, that was a coaching error starting Thornton to begin with. Two, it comes as no surprise that Jumbo can't back-check quick enough anymore. Three, Vlasic and Braun played that pretty poorly taking nothing away. These kind of defensive mishaps are too commonplace for it to be pinned on the goalie.

Yes last night game was a prime example of shoddy defense early on, but he also let in the first shot of the game. This is happening on several occasions where the opposition scores within the first few minutes.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yes last night game was a prime example of shoddy defense early on, but he also let in the first shot of the game. This is happening on several occasions where the opposition scores within the first few minutes.

I don't see how it being the first shot of the game matters at all. If you're giving up odd-man rushes and not defending well to where you're letting extremely high danger chances against happen right out of the gate, the more important problem is that the team is not coming ready to play defense.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'd be looking at how our defence plays before Jones' spot in the team.
I think Jones is low on confidence at the moment, and the defence is having too many breakdowns - e.g. Burns was caught in No Man's Land twice last night against the Flyers where he was neither here or there.

I also don't think there are any goalies of value that are available.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

Is there a way to pull that stat? Jones has to be the worst 1st shot goalie in the league.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm neither high nor low on Jones, but i feel confident that he can get the job done. Sure, and upgrade would be great, but we are exactly swimming in cap space to take a better goalie at a higher price. I am very much against having a goalie at a huge cap hit, like Price or Lundqvist. 5.75 isnt small, but its manageable, and will continue to be as the cap grows

Is there a way to pull that stat? Jones has to be the worst 1st shot goalie in the league.
I believe he let in his first shot as a Shark too

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
My guess is this year,

First half of the regular season: Jon3s
Second half of the regular season: Jone5
Postseason: J0nes

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
The pad change screwed over all goalies, the NHL wants a lot more scoring so goalies should only be had on the cheap anywhere from league min to 4 mil for the best and just split games. I would just test and see what Dell and Bibeau have to offer if they can sustain for long periods such as a 7 or 11 game load. If they can we have tons of cap space and can move Jones. Just in case he is up and down like this year.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My guess is this year,

First half of the regular season: Jon3s
Second half of the regular season: Jone5
Postseason: J0nes

If this is true we are never going to make the post-season.

The pad change screwed over all goalies, the NHL wants a lot more scoring so goalies should only be had on the cheap anywhere from league min to 4 mil for the best and just split games. I would just test and see what Dell and Bibeau have to offer if they can sustain for long periods such as a 7 or 11 game load. If they can we have tons of cap space and can move Jones. Just in case he is up and down like this year.

Moving Jones at his cap is not going to be as easy if his performance is up and down like this year.

Jones at his best is definitely better than Dell but the problem is that he seems to take some time in the season to get going. This season he has looked pretty bad with his positioning and given up some soft goals. Though a lot of it is also to do with the D in front of him which has been as up and down as he has been.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I guess Fleury doesn't count?

Nope. He's not an elite goalie. And honestly, neither are Bob or Rask. Don't know why anyone would go through the hassle of acquiring them when the team's defense and coaching are the main problems right now.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Nope. He's not an elite goalie. And honestly, neither are Bob or Rask. Don't know why anyone would go through the hassle of acquiring them when the team's defense and coaching are the main problems right now.
Not going to disagree about Fleury but more a general thought. How do you define if a goalie is elite? I mean, a good team defense can make almost any goalie appear elite. In that case would we only be able to say that an elite goalie plays on defensively poor teams?

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I don't see how it being the first shot of the game matters at all. If you're giving up odd-man rushes and not defending well to where you're letting extremely high danger chances against happen right out of the gate, the more important problem is that the team is not coming ready to play defense.

Playing catch-up most games sucks. I believe we are very fortunate to be 7-4-3 given how we have looked some nights.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB

I'm curious as well. Unless someone is tracking this on game to game basis, we will never know. I say to myself before every game ''Just get through the first 5 minutes''. This team man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->