OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
220px-Burbsposter.jpg
Haha, I love that movie. Damn busybody neighbors.

Reactions: StaalForOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah I guess that's fair. His acting isn't about him, he just plays the character. But he does a really good job of it pretty much every time. I think he brings a bit extra to some roles like Catch Me if you Can. But yeah he's largely in the everyman type of role, not the larger than life role.
Catch if you can is one of my favorite movies.
Also, Umbrella Academy was surprisingly really good.

I just watched an episode of 'The Last Kingdom' last night. I'm more of a 'Vikings' guy, but so far this looks really good too. It's just confusing seeing same named historical people played by different actors because the shows are basically telling the same story just from different viewpoints.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Watched Creed 2 and Bohemian Rhapsody while I was out of town this week. I liked both, but didn't love either. BR is a good time just for the soundtrack.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Watched Creed 2 and Bohemian Rhapsody while I was out of town this week. I liked both, but didn't love either. BR is a good time just for the soundtrack.

Yeah BR is great fun if you are a fan of Queen. However it’s another generic music film outside of that.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah BR is great fun if you are a fan of Queen. However it’s another generic music film outside of that.
Yep. Didn't do anything special, but it was enjoyable.

I just watched 'Room for Rent' on nf and it was actually pretty funny. Reminded me of 'Grandma's Boy' -one of the top 10 comedy greats on my list - (nowhere near as funny) but in the same style.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Watched Victoria, a German all-in-one-take film. Pretty good, and an interesting production history if you’re into that kinda stuff.

Also watched Thunderbolt & Lightfoot and I wasn’t crazy about it. Haven’t been crazy about any Cimino film I’ve seen so far, including Deer Hunter.

Not a lot of movies lately, been rewatching X-Files from the beginning.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Fighting with My Family was surprisingly good. Nothing groundbreaking but better than it ought to be mostly because of the cast; the direction was not great. Also, Florence Pugh is my kind of sexy.

Umbrella Academy was solid. The nurfing of Luther during the fight scenes really stuck out. Not sure what was going on there. Looking forward to season 2.

As far as strange shows go, Big Mouth takes the cake for me. Hilarious but so f***ing weird. It dethroned Happy!

I'm not understanding the praise for this past season of True Detective. Yeah the lead performances were great but other than that? The story felt really stretched out and lacking focus. And hokey dialogue still drags down the script. And the resolution was really boring. I kind of hope they don't make any more.

Creed 2 is probably the second worst Rocky franchise film after V. Dull.

Barry. If you haven't watched it yet, do. Highly entertaining.

Russian Doll. See: Barry.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Barry is at the top of my list. I plan to watch it as soon as I get HBO back for GOT.

Russian Doll looked interesting, good to get a recommendation. Same with Fighting with my Family actually.

I agree that Creed 2 is probably the 2nd worst Rockey, but I think it's still way better than 5.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Watching Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis is very good, as usual. Nice trick to pick Sally Field to make Daniel look taller. In fact, all the camera tricks to make him taller were the easiest when it came to not showing what he was standing on.

I found this film to be much more realistic than Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer, mainly because Day-Lewis is a way better actor than Benjamin Walker and we don't see as many vampires.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Russian Doll had an interesting premise, but I couldn't get past episode 2.

It gets a little more interesting past episode 2...I’d hold on if you liked the premise...I think it’s more of an interesting idea than entertainment but certainly worth the viewing if you like fourth dimension discussions...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Russian Doll had an interesting premise, but I couldn't get past episode 2.

It gets a little more interesting past episode 2...I’d hold on if you liked the premise...I think it’s more of an interesting idea than entertainment but certainly worth the viewing if you like fourth dimension discussions...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone watch Love Death + Robots on netflix? Some seriously messed up stuff.

Also, new episodes of Arrested Development.

What a good tv weekend.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Saw Captain Marvel...

I saw this bull shit coming and I still wasn't prepared for this pathetic scapegoat McGuffin.

For the rest of their movies, I'mma peace out...I think that was just the last straw. Let's just conveniently change all characters so it can solve your attempts to milk more money from idiots, of which I once was.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Gunn back in for Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Great news.

Disney fired him because they had no balls and wanted to show they weren't going to stand for it.

Then Disney couldn't find a director, multiple people turned it down because to take over after 2 were out, would be copying his style and trying to do his movie his style and get crap for it.

Then Disney finally gives in, hires him back.

Disney then shoves their entire fist up the idiot fan bases asses and says "We were never looking for a new director this whole time guys!! Don't hate us now!!"

I am honestly only glad he's still doing Suicide Squad.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I actually enjoyed a few, interesting anthology.
Sonnies Edge and Suits, need much more time than less than 20 minutes.

I liked the yogurt one because it had the voice of whomever voiced the brain, from pinky and the brain on animaniacs. Just felt so funny to have that story told by brain, who always tried to rule the world. It should have featured pinky too saying something stupid to really top it off.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad