OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
yeah at this point I think the right move for re-introducing Batman is to just have him already be Batman.
Yeah and it's my gripe with what Marvel keeps doing when they keep bringing back spiderman, I just hope this is the last f***ing re-intro of Spiderman we see in a very very long time. If there's a god, please let this be true.

But with Batman, like they did with Affleck, they gotta already have a Batman, I would go the Court of Owls route because for one, they're a formidable opponent, they aren't a big name one, they can introduce Deathstroke as one of his minor adversaries to use that character still, but also have Batman still fresh as one, being one for the last few years, starting to really go up against a bunch of people that are like the illuminati.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah and it's my gripe with what Marvel keeps doing when they keep bringing back spiderman, I just hope this is the last ****ing re-intro of Spiderman we see in a very very long time. If there's a god, please let this be true.

It was stupid when Sony did it with the Amazing series. There was no reason for that. But considering the way the Marvel series was going in terms of the connected universe, I think it made sense for Marvel to start fresh. Especially since it really wouldn't have made any sort of sense to have him as an active hero in New York considering how the rest of the movies went. I think bringing him in as a new young hero was a great move.

But with Batman, like they did with Affleck, they gotta already have a Batman, I would go the Court of Owls route because for one, they're a formidable opponent, they aren't a big name one, they can introduce Deathstroke as one of his minor adversaries to use that character still, but also have Batman still fresh as one, being one for the last few years, starting to really go up against a bunch of people that are like the illuminati.

Yeah that would be cool. Another route I think would actually be cool is to just go straight up James Bond style where the movies are sort of in the same world, they assume you have an understanding of the universe, but aren't really a continuous story.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here's hoping.

It should be good. Gunn was first brought on to helm the script and it was a hope that he would officially take on the directors role, it was finally official not so long ago. Likely after he had a good idea of what he wanted to do and then just wanted to do it himself.

Dave Bautista has been very open and vocal about wanting to come over and work with him at DC. There's also his other home boy, Michael Rooker and of course, Nathan Fillion.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It should be good. Gunn was first brought on to helm the script and it was a hope that he would officially take on the directors role, it was finally official not so long ago. Likely after he had a good idea of what he wanted to do and then just wanted to do it himself.

Dave Bautista has been very open and vocal about wanting to come over and work with him at DC. There's also his other home boy, Michael Rooker and of course, Nathan Fillion.
can we just pause a second and appreciate how ridiculous it is that Dave Bautista is an actor I am excited to see in movies. Both comedies and real dramatic roles.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It was stupid when Sony did it with the Amazing series. There was no reason for that. But considering the way the Marvel series was going in terms of the connected universe, I think it made sense for Marvel to start fresh. Especially since it really wouldn't have made any sort of sense to have him as an active hero in New York considering how the rest of the movies went. I think bringing him in as a new young hero was a great move.

The 2nd one with Holland looks interesting enough.

Yeah that would be cool. Another route I think would actually be cool is to just go straight up James Bond style where the movies are sort of in the same world, they assume you have an understanding of the universe, but aren't really a continuous story.

Yeah, it has to be, at this point, the assumption that everyone knows Batman's f***ing story. So let him just be Batman and explore the other people he's gone up against.

Because if we see him go up against Joker/Two-Face/Penguin/Bane again, man...that would piss me off so much.

Explore the other guys he goes up against, make one of minor ones more intriguing even, there's a ton to work with and they keep picking the wrong stuff. But if there's a guy to really figure it out, it'd be Reeves.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
can we just pause a second and appreciate how ridiculous it is that Dave Bautista is an actor I am excited to see in movies. Both comedies and real dramatic roles.

You're telling me.

You know that I actually saw The Scorpion King in the theaters and Dwayne was hyped up as this up and coming big action star. Legit happened. Dave is a lot older and is making his mark and he's been doing a lot of acting to really round out his acting, so even though he was fantastic as Drax, the f***ing guy was also a Bond villian and in a fantastic Blade Runner sequel.

Dave is no joke.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You're telling me.

You know that I actually saw The Scorpion King in the theaters and Dwayne was hyped up as this up and coming big action star. Legit happened. Dave is a lot older and is making his mark and he's been doing a lot of acting to really round out his acting, so even though he was fantastic as Drax, the ****ing guy was also a Bond villian and in a fantastic Blade Runner sequel.

Dave is no joke.
And he's slated to be in the new Dune, right? That's a movie that in theory I'm skeptical about, but no more than I was about a 30 year too late sequel to Blade Runner. Villeneuve has earned my trust with that one.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, it has to be, at this point, the assumption that everyone knows Batman's ****ing story. So let him just be Batman and explore the other people he's gone up against.

Because if we see him go up against Joker/Two-Face/Penguin/Bane again, man...that would piss me off so much.

Explore the other guys he goes up against, make one of minor ones more intriguing even, there's a ton to work with and they keep picking the wrong stuff. But if there's a guy to really figure it out, it'd be Reeves.
They should look at the Animated Series for how to handle the depth of other characters. That's still probably the best superhero adaptation ever made, movie or series.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They should look at the Animated Series for how to handle the depth of other characters. That's still probably the best superhero adaptation ever made, movie or series.

Batman: The Animated Series & Batman Beyond are easily the greatest comic book animated series ever created. I will be 60yrs old and still binge watch it once a year.

Matt Reeves did a good job with the Planet of the Apes franchise with Part 2 + 3. The way he developed Caesar was fantastic, those two movies were amazing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And he's slated to be in the new Dune, right? That's a movie that in theory I'm skeptical about, but no more than I was about a 30 year too late sequel to Blade Runner. Villeneuve has earned my trust with that one.

Yeah, that'd be the one.

Dune, my gf saw it for the first time and she had like an actual pad of paper with questions for me, I hadn't seen the movie in years or read the book in years and she's throwing rapid fire questions at me. I just told her to chill the f*** out and wait for the new adaptation.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, that'd be the one.

Dune, my gf saw it for the first time and she had like an actual pad of paper with questions for me, I hadn't seen the movie in years or read the book in years and she's throwing rapid fire questions at me. I just told her to chill the **** out and wait for the new adaptation.
I think I'm gonna grab the audiobook. I read it way back like 15 years ago, but barely remember a thing.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I want to be excited about the Deadwood movie but I expect to be underwhelmed. I'm just not sure it's movie material. They tried it with Entourage and it just felt like a rushed cash grab. I think it would be much better as a miniseries, especially in the binge era.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watched that 'Russian Doll' thing... annnnnnnnd oh whats the name.... Buzzsaw....now I have to check.

'Velvet Buzzsaw'! Thats it. Jake Gyllenhal (sp?) is fabulous as a flamboyant bi-sexual art critic.
-oh, both a netflix-

If I had to get someone to play myself in a movie, I'm all down for Jake Gyllenhal (SP?). He looks like me and the dood is so enjoyable to watch in his roles.

Russian Doll - 7 ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe 7.5
Buzzsaw - 8. Generic plot just done very well with interesting characters and well built associations and dialog.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just watched 'Overlord'
f***ING AWESOME....but you have to watch it knowing nothing. Just expect a good time.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone watching 'The Umbrella Academy'?
What a crazy weird show. I am starting to really enjoy it.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm watching my first Blu-ray with my soundbar. It's Hanna with Saoirse Ronan (and Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett). I've had this movie for about 6 years and love the soundtrack. Let's see how much better this is.

I'm curious about the Amazon series.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm watching my first Blu-ray with my soundbar. It's Hanna with Saoirse Ronan (and Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett). I've had this movie for about 6 years and love the soundtrack. Let's see how much better this is.

I'm curious about the Amazon series.

I actually like that movie. Not sure how 'good' it is, but it flows well.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I actually like that movie. Not sure how 'good' it is, but it flows well.

I'm very surprised someone else has seen it.

It's visually very well done. Same with the soundtrack and audio. Acting is pretty decent too. I guess it's the story that holds it back? The director(s?) said the movie is a modern day fairy tale... No clue what that means.

"What did your mother die of?"
"Three bullets."

:laugh:

That short blonde German hitman is damn scary too.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone have any really good movies to recommend? Something gritty or funny. Nothing depressing really because I get my fill of depressing watching penguins games.

TV show would do too, but I'm not looking for a series that goes for years unending. I did hear 'The Kingdom' on nf is really good though.

Looking for something on the level of Brawl in Cell Block 99 ... good story good acksheeeyon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad