OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm going with 'Donnybrook' and 'Green Book'.

Both seem excellent.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So far Green Book is f***ing excellent. Never even heard of it until tonight.
Who doesn't love Viggo though... really

Reactions: Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Oh jeez. I see Green Book won best picture...
I donno I seen better... but it is still good. Viggo made that whole movie.

I think it's a joke that '3 billboards' lost last year to that crap fest 'shape of water'.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Give this a look/chance. I was very pleased with it. Very cool ending.

51jj0ZoAqxL._SY445_.jpg

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Oh jeez. I see Green Book won best picture...
I donno I seen better... but it is still good. Viggo made that whole movie.

I think it's a joke that '3 billboards' lost last year to that crap fest 'shape of water'.

It's interesting you say that. I've heard some people say they loved "Three Billboards" and others say it was garbage, and it was a fairly even split as far as people I know/listen to. I actually watched both on a plane and thought they were comparable. Also watched "I, Tonya," and "Blade Runner 2049" which I wouldn't say were as good as either but in the ballpark.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Give this a look/chance. I was very pleased with it. Very cool ending.

51jj0ZoAqxL._SY445_.jpg
Loved that movie.

Going to watch, 'Into the Spider-Verse' in a few minutes.

Oh, Dollybrook was a good movie, but man was it depressing. -Decent leaning good- more than straight up good movie.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ok, gotta say, 'Into the spider-verse' is so good. I hate comic book movies and this was just really really good. Watch it in 4k if you can...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, I'm pretty much just trolling because I hate Tom Hanks. But Bachelor Party, Saving Pvt. Ryan, and The Ladykillers are not bad second place films. And I do love the weird late 70s to end of the 80s trend of animal-buddy movies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean, I'm pretty much just trolling because I hate Tom Hanks. But Bachelor Party, Saving Pvt. Ryan, and The Ladykillers are not bad second place films. And I do love the weird late 70s to end of the 80s trend of animal-buddy movies.
you hate Tom Hanks? I was going to say I can't think of a Tom Hanks movie that deserves being hated, but then you listed The Ladykillers and I remembered how terrible that movie is.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
you hate Tom Hanks? I was going to say I can't think of a Tom Hanks movie that deserves being hated, but then you listed The Ladykillers and I remembered how terrible that movie is.

Haha. I don't know why I enjoy Ladykillers, but I absolutely do. The running portrait-gag is great, and the soundtrack is awesome.

The Terminal is another Tom Hanks movie that is kinda of "over-the-top" in terms of genre beats/cliches, but I also find very watchable, even it I still roll my eyes from time to time. A great John Williams score doesn't hurt either. The cinematic equivalent of comfort food it seems like.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Haha. I don't know why I enjoy Ladykillers, but I absolutely do. The running portrait-gag is great, and the soundtrack is awesome.

The Terminal is another Tom Hanks movie that is kinda of "over-the-top" in terms of genre beats/cliches, but I also find very watchable, even it I still roll my eyes from time to time. A great John Williams score doesn't hurt either. The cinematic equivalent of comfort food it seems like.

Seconded. It's a terrible Cohen Bros. movie, which means it's like, just a normal movie. But I think it's pretty good Saturday afternoon watching and the soundtrack is (unsurprisingly) great.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think Tom Hanks is the Sutter of actors. He's just bland. He's goddamned Velveeta.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Guess I'll have to agree to disagree.

Everybody loves a Sutter. :laugh:

Seriously, it's fine to dig Hanks. I really don't have anything against him, but he's never an actor I feel I have to see. Put it this way- I'll go see a Mads Mikkelson or a Michael Caine film, even if they're bad just to see what they do with it.

Tom Hanks? He'll be good. Probably. But 9 times out of 10, I'll forget about his performance before the credits finish.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I love the Coens, but I just couldn't even muster a single smile during that movie.

I haven't seen the Terminal.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
The Hank
I think Tom Hanks is the Sutter of actors. He's just bland. He's goddamned Velveeta.
Haha! Well it's better than Mozza in my book.

This thread turn reminded me of this Cult movie which aired in the role-playing paranoia era (Ad&d is Evil, there's Demons and Devils!).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Everybody loves a Sutter. :laugh:

Seriously, it's fine to dig Hanks. I really don't have anything against him, but he's never an actor I feel I have to see. Put it this way- I'll go see a Mads Mikkelson or a Michael Caine film, even if they're bad just to see what they do with it.

Tom Hanks? He'll be good. Probably. But 9 times out of 10, I'll forget about his performance before the credits finish.
Yeah I guess that's fair. His acting isn't about him, he just plays the character. But he does a really good job of it pretty much every time. I think he brings a bit extra to some roles like Catch Me if you Can. But yeah he's largely in the everyman type of role, not the larger than life role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad